Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • house rewire questiom
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

next thing on my list for my house is a rewire

my question is – should i get a company in will they insist i move all my sockets and switches to the “mandatory” levels ? (does part “p” exist in scotland )

i do not want my light swtiches at the lower level – it wound me up something chronic in my previous 2 rentals.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

I don’t know definitively, but I’d have thought not. IME regs aren’t retrospective, so I’d have thought only wiring, consumer unit and new sockets (ie anything being replaced/new) would need to comply.

It would be a royal PITA to have to move all your sockets

avdave2

I’ve had some work done recently and the company that did the inspection for part p didn’t measure the height of any sockets or switches. It may only apply to new build and not actually be part of the part p regs as it would be pretty stupid if during a partial rewire you ended up with sockets and switches at different heights. Someone who actually knows will be along in a minute.

Looking forward to “Rate my electrician”

trail_rat
    Free Member

hahah like it avdave

tbh the more i read the more it seems they are just being difficult for folk that want to rewire.

Im just being dilligent and safety concuious in wanting a rewire , i past periodic inspection with a recomendadtion that i get a new consumer unit.

the more i read the more i think i want to just be getting a new consumer unit and a 10mm feed, breaker box in the garages so i can run my welder safely.

How ever most of the house is in bits and it would make sense to get this disruptive work done now while it is so to save decovrating the whole thing again.

does part P apply to scotland ? – i thought part P was england and wales mickey mouse brother to scotlands 1959 building regs laws ?

as this is classed as major building works it has to be done to building regs up here. – hence my question. wonder if its still major building works if i have several partial rewires done circuit at a time over a period of time. (im joking before anyone gives a serious reply to this part)

Mugboo

I’ve no idea about the rules but I agree withe you that there’s no point decorating till its been done.

It’s the first job on my list when I buy a house. I have some friends who live in a beautiful Victorion Terrace that didn’t get rewired and boy do they regret it!

captaindanger

I don’t think there are any height regulations in part p, they are covered by part m which is to do with accessibility, and to my knowledge not necessarily applicable in a domestic situation. Check that but I’d say no don’t move them

martinhutch

Wouldn’t have thought you’d have to move them, only additional sockets/switchese. Mine left them on the skirting boards.

simonbowns
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure that the minimum/maximum height thing is for new build only. We’ve just had a rewire, didn’t need to go high on every socket (we did on some though) Get a few electricians round to quote and chat?

kerv
    Free Member

Part P is England and Wales only and socket heights only apply to a new builds not rewires.

trail_rat
    Free Member

im in turkmenistan at the moment , just doing some research as im exceedingly bored 🙁

will get some round when im home

suspect ill have no choice but to rewire unless its been done prior as its a 1950s house probably still rubber sheath cabled

I know my lighting definantly needs doing as its wired up old school. – Plus i might as well do it when i make a mess sinking the surface mounted boxes.

chers kerv – i guess the ammount of work on the two rentals i was in would have been new build terretory – they were shells/

turin
    Free Member

there is no part P in Scotland and the minimum heights only apply to works covered by a building warrant, and even then if the client insists on a height there is nothing to stop you having them any height you want.

Infact if its just a rewire you are doing (no building warrant) you can do everything yourself, no registration required! Which is good for competent DIYers but also makes it easy for people who may not be competent to go into business and charge you for services. They may or may not be providing the desired service. One of the reasons I got out of the game.

If you can find somebody who is recommended go with them.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘house rewire questiom’ is closed to new replies.