Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • House removal – how much to move 200 miles away?
  • cheers_drive

Just had a quote for £1300 +vat to move contents of a 3 bed semi 200 miles. Seems a bit steep to me? No packing just moving.

br
    Free Member

3 blokes for 2 days plus 400 miles, doesn’t seem OTT.

We moved from the SE to Scotland and ended up at £2700 all in, but went for packing – and I’d suggest you check how much more , ‘cos it wasn’t much.

T666DOM

Rent yourself a van with a drop tail lift. Cost me £70 plus afew beers for my brothers and dad who donated the manpower

zippykona

When my parents moved from Surrey to Devon it was a lot cheaper to use Devon people.
    So get quotes as well from your destination .

pennine
    Free Member

3hrs to load + 6hrs drive + 3hrs to unload + 6hrs drive back. That’s 1.5 days work for truck and 2 men approx £1000. I’d expect it to cost more than £1300 considering the distance. Are they reputable?

Diane
    Free Member

A friend of mine moved about the same distance for a few hundred quid – not lots of furniture though (Some nice Polish guys with a van did it 😀 ) Bit of a risk but all was great. Might be worth researching on Gumtree/ google if you aren’t too bothered about insurance etc

cozz
    Free Member

cant imagine why anyone would pay for this

rent a 7.5 tonne van, fill it up, drive it to new place, unload, drive it back, get in car and return

lets say £150 diesel plus about the same for rental

so £300 plus a bit of help from mates ?!

seosamh77
    Free Member

as said get a few mates and a van. I helped flit my mate from portsmouth to perth years ago, piss up and a half with a wee bit of work thrown in! 😆

cheers_drive

They are doing it in a day – 7am start 3 blokes. Getting some more quotes next week.
    Moved with man with a van last time but nowhere near as much stuff and less than a mile.
    Some of you must be lucky or have very good friends or at least unemployed ones if you can get 3 friends to help on a work day including a 400 miles round trip.

Mugboo

If you’re in Yorkshire try Darvills.

bruk

Seriously. Would you do it yourself? I had until this am a move planned just 3 miles away and had quotes of £600 for a 3 bed house.

I can’t move 3 double beds, sofas, piano, kitchen tables and boxes and boxes of books even with some mates. Not without breaking something or damaging walls getting in or out. Money well spent. How much would being off with a bad back cost you?

chewkw
    Free Member

How much?

I need to tell my mates that they are in the wrong business with genius PhD degrees earning around £29 per hour with no job security …

😯

seosamh77
    Free Member

bruk – Member

Seriously. Would you do it yourself? I had until this am a move planned just 3 miles away and had quotes of £600 for a 3 bed house.

I can’t move 3 double beds, sofas, piano, kitchen tables and boxes and boxes of books even with some mates. Not without breaking something or damaging walls getting in or out. Money well spent. How much would being off with a bad back cost you? What’s difficult about shifting that lot? Only thing that would cause any bother would be the piano, quick google of how to move a piano would soon sort that…

There nothing difficult about it, just whether you can be ar*** doing it..

Saying that if i was leaving this place, i’d probably take my laptop, my guitars and my bike and leave everything else! :mrgreen:

nick1962
    Free Member

Price sounds right.We just moved this week from a 2 bed flat 240 miles and with packing and dismantling of bed and sofa bed cost nearly £1500. Whatever you decide check your current home insurance policy as it probably covers damages during house moves so it makes hiring a van and a man type thing less risky.Pickfords quoted a ridiculous £294 for insurance!!

bruk

With a toddler, 2 cats, a dog and a wife then yes you are probably right, I can’t be arsed risking doing my back or asking my mates to do the same to save a few quid. They supply the packing boxes, tape and wrapping stuff, they move it to where I want it from this 3 storey house to the next 3 storey house and insure it against any breakages or damage done.

Well worth the money.

chewkw
    Free Member

If you can afford to spend that amount of money then spend it because someone else needs to make a living out of moving stuff. 🙂

bruk

Given the solicitors fees, the estate agent fees, stamp ruddy duty, the removal costs are tiny.

chewkw
    Free Member

bruk – Member

Given the solicitors fees, the estate agent fees, stamp ruddy duty, the removal costs are tiny.

Yeap they are the worst so you need to find ways to charge them back …

djglover
    Free Member

Just moved 3 bed house from London to ilkley, was 2.5k. That was the cheapest quote, all bar approved. I moved myself with a mate a few times before inc. To London in the first place but I wouldn’t have managed this. It took 3 men over 2 days Inc driving time.

I got some ‘man with van’ quotes at around 1300 but too much risk in trms of no show or van too small for me. If you want it yo go smoothly pay the pros!

chewkw
    Free Member

djglover – Member

Just moved 3 bed house from London to ilkley, was 2.5k.

3 men £2.5K for 2 days work! 😯

Wow! I don’t care what people say but as a healthy person it’s better than earning peanuts …

Hohum
    Free Member

Approach a few companies and get some quotes and then try to knock them down in price.

I would struggle to do the haggling, but my wife is fab at it!

cheers_drive

Thanks for the feedback, sounds like it is a reasonable quote, just wanted to check.

mogrim

Doing the move yourself is OK if you live alone, student style – but mix in a partner+kids… No regrets paying someone to do it last time. And if you can get them to do the packing too, do it.

chakaping
    Free Member

Just moved 3 bed house from London to ilkley, was 2.5k. That was the cheapest quote

Was that just London firms?

I’m moving from Herts to Manc area soon and hoping to pay £1k tro £1.5k, if it’s £2.5k I’ll buy a flipping van.

patcho68
    Free Member

Get as many quotes as you can, from firms at both ends. We moved in August, prices varied hugely – I think it depends alot on how much work they have on at the time.

We only moved 10 miles, but from big 4 bed house, have loads of stuff (garages, outbuildings, etc), went with firm from York, £850 all in including packing! All i had to do was dismantle the beds. 5 men, 2 vans, two days. No idea how they made any money. And they were brilliant.

ElShalimo

patcho68 – Member

Who did you use?

br
    Free Member

also you’ll get a better deal if you are flexible and/or mid-week (not Friday)

onehundredthidiot

I’d pay the extra for the pack as well. The only time I did it, work enforced move, Eating breakfast at 8.30 in a fully unpacked house and was leaving 3 hours later with whole contents in van. they then semi unpacked at the other end.
    Next time I moved was with a van and me dad, cheating wife enforced move, not so much fun, but I did get to leave an absolute mess behind.

trail_rat
    Free Member

ive moved a few times – short distances with a van and friends ….

if i was moving any distance like that and in a chain of buyers …. id be getting in hired help.

its a nightmare especially if its far enough that you can only really do one trip on the day.

trail_rat
    Free Member

ive moved a few times – short distances with a van and friends ….

if i was moving any distance like that and in a chain of buyers …. id be getting in hired help.

its a nightmare especially if its far enough that you can only really do one trip on the day.

patcho68
    Free Member

ElShalimo – I used Walmgate Removals. Would have no hesitation in recommending them. Nothing was too much for trouble for them, really great bunch of lads.

Caher

Use Shipley.com and let them haggle for your trade.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Look at the packing options, for the insurance to be worth anything coming to Oz they had to pack. Was incredibly fast and efficient and careful. Much quicker than I could do it.

Joe

I did it recently…moved a 3 bed family home about 20 miles. It was a complete nightmare. Me and two mates did it, along with about 100 members of the family who helped interfere. It took us two WHOLE days of about 16 hours each, plus the van rental.

It was massively stressful and I reckon the £1000 it would have cost for it to have been done professionally would have been worth every last penny.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

cant imagine why anyone would pay for this

rent a 7.5 tonne van, fill it up, drive it to new place, unload, drive it back, get in car and return

lets say £150 diesel plus about the same for rental

so £300 plus a bit of help from mates ?!

Check your licence though, I’m pretty much sure mines limited to 3.5t. And that’s gross weight, i.e. the van and all your stuff has to be under 3.5t.

trail_rat
    Free Member

aye thats for young folk tinas – if you got your licence after 95 or 97 cant remember which .,…

mines the same

spooky_b329

You are limited to 3.5t if you passed your test in 1997 or later. This means you would be overweight as most of us have more possessions than the 1.5t typical payload in a Luton van.

spooky_b329

Not just the ‘young’ now, those who took the new test in 1997 will be 32/33 now!

thegreatape
    Free Member

I hired a 7.5 tonner and moved from Nottingham to NW Scotland, pretty much by myself.

If I ever move again I’ll be paying someone to do it while I bugger off for the day.

TiRed

Like carpet fitting, plumbing, and many other jobs, some things are best left to a professional. Moving is one of them, and distance isn’t really the issue, it’s volume! We moved twice in 2010, with two lorries. Fortunately it was paid for by a relocation company, but it was over £3000 each time, and was worth every penny.

Paying for packing is also money well spent. Watching them wrap and pack is wonderful. And I think it confers some additional protection for insurance. Unpacking is less useful to be honest, and they will admit that. Once furniture is in places beds assembled etc… there isn’t much left for them to do except wait for you to tell them.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘House removal – how much to move 200 miles away?’ is closed to new replies.