Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • House Paint and boring DIY stuff.
  • Algore
    Free Member

Sorry to be a bit boring. But the more I save and the quicker the job I do the more time and money I can spend riding bikes.

So, our whole house needs re-painting. We’re going to get most walls skimmed.
    All ceilings and wood work will be white.

So what paint should we buy and where has the best prices. Is Dulux trade worth the extra? If so what about Leyland trade etc.

Any short cuts or tips appreciated. I am happy to give things ago, but am not the most pratical. Plus I love a good shortcut!

Cheers.

jonb
    Free Member

Have a look at the Dulux site for info. I found the trade to be better*.

It’s worth doing properly and if you hate painting it’s worth looking at the tougher (diamond etc.) ranges as you will have to redo the job less often if you can just clean the walls.

If you are going to be doing a lot of walls you may be able to save some money doing the frst coat in specific new plaster product and then overcoating in the correct colour rather than using a watered down version for two coats.

*I’m somewhat biased in my recommendations as I get Dulux cheap, working for a sister company.

takisawa2

Shortcut = eyesore.
    Good prep is the key.

Algore
    Free Member

Cheers guys.
    Agree that shortcuts can look bad. Just wondering if there’s any clever tricks. One friend rates mini rollers for woodwork etc.
    I just want to make sure that when I roll up my sleeves and set to that I’ll be doing the most efficient job possible.

sssimon
    Free Member

definately worth it for trade, 1 or 2 coats always gives a good finish and less shadows and outlines of marks underneat.

I_Ache
    Free Member

While we are on this subject. Has anybody had any joy using the little foam rollers for glossing? Im in the process of glossing all the wood in our house and am keen to try something that wont leave brush strokes.

ourmaninthenorth

I couldn’t face it last time, so got it done by a friend who’s a decorator.

Superb job and worth every penny.

Paint was Farrow & Ball (estate emulsion) – pricey, but great chalky finish and fantastic depth of colour. Downside is that it marks easily in high traffic areas.

Used oil based Dulux gloss for the woodwork. Holding up well, and doesn’t discolour as fast as the water based stuff.

lambchop
    Free Member

For new plaster you should use a non vinyl emulsion as a base coat, this should be thinned by adding about 20% water, this is called a mist coat. Dulux Supermatt is a good paint for this. As for trim you can use a foam roller but you can end up getting an orange peel like effect if you’re not careful. I like to apply gloss or satinwood with a mini emulsion roller and then lay off with a good quality synthetic brush such as those made by ‘Purdy’ . By applying the paint with the roller you can get a nice even quantity of paint applied very quickly, then laying off with the brush will give you a very smooth finish. Water based trim paint is a whole other kettle of fish though, the main benefits of which are that is won’t go yellow in time like oil based paints will (all white oil finishes go yellow eventually, faster in areas with low light levels i,e behind furniture) however it’s difficult to get a smooth brush stroke free finish with water based.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Has anybody had any joy using the little foam rollers for glossing?

Yes – getting the paint thickness right is key though.

Algore
    Free Member

Cheers Lambchop. You seem to know your stuff!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘House Paint and boring DIY stuff.’ is closed to new replies.