Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • House of the future is a portakabin
  • JonW
    Free Member
    mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Almost identical to living arrangements in Japan then.

donks
    Free Member

I’m not convinced, I worked for many years in the modular building industry and we had several different modular house or dwelling options but they never took off. Problem is that against traditional build sqm for sqm it always costs a bit more so the only advantage is when the client have some land that they need clearing and a building erected almost immediately then modular works well as these are built off site before the demolition then shipped to site and just services coupled up etc so much quicker than trad. But most developers aren’t fussed about time and just want CHEAP. Plus you get planners who insist on little features that deviate from a modular factory approach and the cost ramps again.

The system works well for temporary or even permanent buildings in schools for instance where they only have the summer hols to put a building or two up and for hotels where every module is the same. Trust me we saw so many schemes slip away because we couldn’t accommodate a unique hipped roof of bespoke window detail or even meet the code levels etc. the running cost of a huge factory when you have no orders is crippling which is another reason builders go trad or timber frame.

Also the big builders… Mc alpine etc are evil buggers who screw the modular firms down to unrealistic costs so many firms have gone under and quite often mid project … Olympic village is an example as there were a few went under during that. Other country’s are producing very cheaply but there labour and overhead costs are a fraction of ours and some builders are shipping across the water rather than using a modular firm from round the corner…. Anyway rantette over.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

http://www.utas.edu.au/architecture-design/learning-by-making/the-castle
    This was designed and build just down the hill from me.

Pre cut and formatted ply sheets that are designed to be put together quickly and easily $35,000 (AU) so about £15-20k solar array, no power needed.

The idea for these is for rapid deployment for people in need. Can be put on a driveway etc. or send the designs to disaster zones rather than tents.

http://www.youthfutures.org.au/training/the-castle

ciron
    Free Member

26 sq m is a lot smaller than the minimum housing space standards set by the GLA, which (I think) applies to all new housing in London.

griffiths1000
    Free Member

Old guy near me lived in a shipping container for 15 years or more. Fitted windows & door. Not short of cash, just some kind of protest at being refused planning permission for a house or something like that. Refused all help from social services/ authority thinking he had been let down by them. A bit sad really.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Rather than live in what is effect a shanty, wouldn’t be better to organise a transition away from the housing speculation that has led us up this ridiculous cul-de-sac?

gribble
    Free Member

Smallish Homes

There are a few companies doing this in the USA too. Seems to be an alternative way of living, which I admit would work better in a climate where you can actually spend more time out doors.

Would be cool to build your own house though.

ohnohesback
    Free Member
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘House of the future is a portakabin’ is closed to new replies.