Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • House next to sewerage treatment plant
  • slowoldman

It is not a sewage treatment plant

It was when I was in the industry.

Cletus

When I lived in South Reading 20 years ago the “Whitley Whiff” was definitely a thing during warmer periods.

Doing research is vital.

siwhite
    Free Member

Someone mentioned earlier that you will get used to the smell. I once worked for about a week at a large Thames Water sewage treatment plant – the first few days were awful, but by the end we weren’t aware of the smell at all. Likely to be the same reason that you can’t smell your own aftershave after a while.

You might not notice the whiff – but your barbeque guests certainly will.

timba
    Free Member

View the house again in a few months, you’ll understand the issues better and you might get a better deal

fooman

There’s a nice village at one end of the waterworks near us. Get the wind in the wrong direction and there’s no way I’d want to live there, however about 2 years ago they upgraded to a sealed process, which has virtually eliminated the stink.

SludgeJudge

I’ve worked in the water industry on the wastewater side for many years. Most smaller rural sewage works with biological trickling filters don’t usually smell too bad. However, some filter works have big issues with huge amounts of very tiny flies – this is a difficult and expensive problem for the water company to deal with. Sometimes you’d visit site, get out/in your car and literally dozens of flies would find their way in. Sites with trees seem to have worse problems.

There will be various bit of equipment such as recirculation pumps that will automatically operating 24 hours so depending on how close you are mechanical noise could be noticeable. Sludge will need to be removed by road tanker on a regular basis which can generate smell issues and vehicle noise. In the event of operational problems or a sewage works extension, there is potential for lots of vehicle movement and temporary pumping/standby generators which can also cause disruption.

A small well run plant is unlikely to be a problem but that said I wouldn’t want to live next to one!

greentricky
    Free Member

^ username now makes sense

nickjb
    Free Member

Thanks all some very useful advice. I’ve been going round in circles a bit. The price is already significantly reduced so I’m not so worried about resale. Its also in a pretty cheap part of the world so we aren’t talking huge money. After we left and thought about it I’d pretty much decided to walk away… then we went back for a second viewing and I’m straight back in again. Now, the following day, I’m back to checking my senses (pun intended)

Here is the view from the rear of the property. Phone doesn’t do it justice but bridleways and footpaths in every direction, not a single house visible:

This is the works. On this visit we walked right up to it and couldn’t smell a thing. Its maybe 80m from the end of the garden and 130m from the house

jekkyl

Oh that view’s nice and good riding from the door, think that’d swing it for me.

4130s0ul
    Free Member

Well if you don’t want it let me know where it is and I’ll have it. I’d happily live with a clothes peg on my nose if it meant a view like that every day (and a cheap house too of course) 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘House next to sewerage treatment plant’ is closed to new replies.