Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • House move – solicitors local to current location or local to future location?
  • gobuchul
    Free Member

Looking at moving from the South East to the North East.

We need to instruct a solicitor at some point and can’t decide whether to use one down here or to instruct one in the North East.

We used conveyancers when we bought down here and they were pretty rubbish.

Pieface

It shouldn’t matter, however if you’re selling I’d say local so that if they need any paperwork / signatures you can pop in in person, maybe saving a day or two here and there.

kilo

I would go local to where you are, as mentioned above it’s a bit of a pita if you need to pop in and sign something or chivvy them along

mudshark
    Free Member

North East ones cheaper?

I used one I know in North West when moving from London to Surrey as trust him and location no issue.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Go for personal recommendations which I guess means you’ll most likely be local. Finding one well regarded and helpful is more important than location.

woody74

Solicitors are all bloody useless so I don’t think it matters. Go with a recommendation wherever they are as opposed to local.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Okay. Thanks.

Any recommendations for solicitors in the North East?

deker
    Free Member

where about in the North East?

I’ve used these in the past without problems and they were cheaper than most

http://www.meikles-solicitors.co.uk/

Drac

NE is pretty big might want to narrow down.

gobuchul
    Free Member

OK.

Northumberland, probably Morpeth and Alnwick might be the most handy.

scotroutes

Drac – Moderator
    NE is pretty big might want to narrow down.

+1 Aberdeen, Peterhead, Fraserburgh?

gobuchul
    Free Member

🙄

Drac

Never heard of them.

Northumberland, probably Morpeth and Alnwick might be the most handy.

Good choice sir my home town and new honourary home town.

Adam Douglas in Alnwick not sure about Morpeth as didn’t need one there.

Ewan
    Free Member

I’ve used an online one for my last two house transactions. Saved a bit of money, were definitely not any worse than the local solicitors i used before. I had a phone number to call when I had a question / issue and had prompt service (I think it was ramsden solictiors)

Unless there is something unique about your house transaction then i’d save your money and shop by price / online reviews.

IHN

What Ewan says.

The solicitors don’t need to be local to anywhere; I’ve used online/remote conveyancers twice now and they’ve been fine.

kilo

The solicitors don’t need to be local to anywhere; I’ve used online/remote conveyancers twice now and they’ve been fine.

I used online once, it was supposedly a simple purchase but for some reason had to get a document witnessed and delivered to them, it was a pita, only used local ones since

spacemonkey

Word of mouth more important to me than being round the corner from buyer/seller.

I’ve used JS Law twice after a friend’s recommendation. Honest, up front, VFM and gets sh1t done. Ask for Rachel Lloyd if she’s available – she’s brilliant.

curto80
    Free Member

Location is completely irrelevant.

Instruct a firm that will suit your needs.

If you want a firm that will progress things quickly, answer the phone, send you emails rather than send you letters by carrier pigeon etc than use a proper commercial law firm that has a resi conveyancing department. It will cost you £500 more but you may decide it is worth it depending on your needs.

I can give you details of properly good solicitors if you want them.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘House move – solicitors local to current location or local to future location?’ is closed to new replies.