Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • House Insurance – Bikes at full value locked in the garage
  • Rik
    Free Member

Currently have the bikes insured at full value under the contents insurance but they are in the house.

I used to have them insured under the original M & S policy at full value in the house, in the garage and away from home for a very reasonable amount.

Any recommendations for insurance for 5 bikes at full value in the garage again??

Tehy will be locked up with 2 ground anchors and 2 big chains, but want them insured as well.

endurokid
    Free Member

I’m with Sainsburys and it’s insured for my specified value, subject to receipts/pre loss valuation. I keep it in my shed bolted to the floor with about 10 locks, the shed can be independently alarmed from the house and I have several security lights.

Insured at home or away.

Rik
    Free Member

Due to the amount i don’t really want a specified value. I want them all covered under the normal policy.

Searched a few old threads and Direct Line Select seem good. Expensive but.

Is it really all bikes covered, in the house, in the garage, away from home (if locked) with no specified value, make or model.

So if you have £10k worth of bikes stolen from the garage your covered, just the same if you have £30k worth of bikes stolen from the garage you still covered!!!!

Sounds to good to be true……..

endurokid
    Free Member

Sainsburys charge you an additional premium based on the value you specify, that way you pay a fair premium, my bike is covered for 3k and is noted on my schedule.

If you specify an amount that’s what your covered for,although if you have 30k I’m sure they wouldn’t allow them to be kep in the shed!!

Previously I had two bikes covered for 4k and they were happy with this.

Being an insurance broker I checked the small print!!

Rik
    Free Member

Not saying I’ve got £30k worth of bikes, I wish!!!

But I want cover in the garage under the normal contents cover rather than extra specified bikes.

heisenberg
    Free Member

Tesco here. 2k each bike covered.

Suggsey
    Free Member

I went with m&s with the bikes as specified items with away from home and accidental cover. When you read the small print the only thing that you MUST do is put five lever mortise locks or similar on all your garage doors including your up and over or whatever style door it is. Screw fix do a matching garage door set took me half a day fitting them. Belts and braces my best bike is also ground anchored.

spooky_b329

Why not consider those that cover the bikes as extras? It may be no more expensive than a premium priced ‘everything covered’ policy, the only downside would be if you change bikes so often that it becomes a hassle calling to update the policy with changes to your fleet 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘House Insurance – Bikes at full value locked in the garage’ is closed to new replies.