Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • House extension – permitted development – advice please
  • cb

I’m new to this so finding the language a bit confusing. From my reading of the ‘rules’, there is a limit for a ground floor extension on the back of a detached house to four metres. However, there seems to be a temporary change that until May 16, this can be raised to 8 metres.

I had a builder round yesterday for an idea of cost and he was convinced that I’d need planning for our proposed 6 metres. I did see online something about neighbour consent consultations, would that class as planning permission? Or is he out of date?

Thanks

DrP

He may not be aware of the 8m short term change.
    I’d get to planning portal.gov or something like that and read up on it..

DrP

nickjb
    Free Member

Should fall under Neighbour consultation scheme unless there is a specific reason

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/extensions/

the-muffin-man

For any ‘proper’ extension I’d submit plans and get planning permission anyway. Anything else adds a BIG grey area when you come to sell.

For something like a conservatory I’d wing-it.

nickjb
    Free Member

In reference to the above, you can get a certificate of lawful development. Should cover it and be a lot cheaper than planning.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/responsibilities/planningpermission/ldc

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

It’s Permitted Development until 30 May 2016. But you’ll have to go through the neighbour consultation scheme so you’ll have to go through a sort of planning permission ‘lite’ process. See:

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/neighbour_consultation_scheme_guidance_may13.pdf

There’s no fee.

I would recommend talking it through with neighbours first rather than wait for them to get a letter from the Council out of the blue. If they object, it just means the Council has to consider the merits of the case (like any planning application), if they don’t within the 21 days, you have consent as Permitted Development.

As for selling, this process means its logged on the planning register at the Council and there is a paper trail for any conveyancing solicitor in the future.

I’m a planning consultant for my sins so PM me if you need anything.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

While we’re at it, we have a mid terrace Victorian. The kitchen at the back (single storey) could do with extending. We’d just be replacing roof, taking the back of the building out a few metres to make the kitchen more usable. What are the limits without going for pp? (I’m thinking there was a 10% thing, but I have no idea really.)

nickjb
    Free Member

at DD, See my first link. All the rules listed there. Sounds like yours will be fine for not needing planning, unless you are in a conservation area

this one: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/extensions/

cb

Thanks all – think this confirms that I was on the right track!

Cheers Slowpuncheur – will certainly ping you if I have questions.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ah roight, cheers nickjb.

So I think the bit that applies to me would be:

Single-storey rear extension must not extend beyond the rear wall of the original house* by more than three metres if an attached house or by four metres if a detached house.

So, I’m at a 3m limit (as long as the kitcheny thing we have right now was there in 1948)?

nickjb
    Free Member

Yep. That’s the main bit. Most of the others are easy. Even if the existing kitchen is an extension you might be able to do it without planning under the Neighbour consultation scheme same as the OP

cb

deadly – under the May 16 rule that was confirmed above, you might get a little more than 3m if you doing stuff in the next 12-15 months (you need to check as I was just looking at detached)

footflaps

Personally I’d just get PP as it makes selling it simpler and it just gives peace of mind in case an awkward neighbour decides to cry foul one day after you’ve just finished building it….

j4mie
    Free Member

Be careful if the proposed extension may go over your utilities – gas is a no-no to build over so might need moved.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Don’t bother with planning permission as it’s a waste of time and money if you don’t need to. Building control won’t let you exceed your scope for permitted development so you’ll be kept right.

Plus if some arse objects and you then go ahead and build anyway because you can it’ll just end up causing more bother (if they even proceeded to planning).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘House extension – permitted development – advice please’ is closed to new replies.