Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • House design cad type software stuff…..
  • DrP

Got a bit of a project brewing (new house, as well as building work at the surgery…) and could do with some simple house design software for the PC to play about with ideas..sort of to create floor plans and play about with that.

Google comes up with a few options, but thought I’d get opinions from here..

Don’t mind spending a few quid, but not too much as it’s only a little diy project…

DrP

robgal
    Free Member

You could do worse than download Draftsight – it’s a free software from the Solidworks people that is basically identical to AutoCAD

thepurist

Sketchup to muck about with layouts then hand it over to someone who knows what they’re doing.

DrP

Oh yeah, I’ve got sketch up already! Will see if they have a 2d setting on that….

It’s just to play about with bathroom and extension layout – not for builders plans!

DrP

takisawa2

That google one is good.
    We use Autodesk Inventor but it’s probably a bit overkill.

Speeder

As said above:-

Draftsight for 2d – it’ll be in a format that can ultimately be read by any architect (dxf/dwg) when you get to that stage.

SketchUp for 3D if you want to go that far.

I’ve never used the latter but have seen great things done.
    Have used Draftsight a good deal and it’s a great tool for the money if you have to pay and incredible for nowt (especially considering what Autodesk want you to pay for the equivalent from them)

donks
    Free Member

Reckon it’s got to be sketch up. Once you get the hang of the UI it’s really good and very quick plus you get a much better feel for the space over traditional 2d and it has google layout (drawing sheets) add on now so a one stop shop for easy plans…. There’s loads of how to vids on you tube to get you up and running… Oh and it’s free.

IA

Sweethome3D (don’t be fooled, you draw plans in 2d first) if you want something to quickly knock up floorplans, drag and drop furniture about etc.

akeys001

Autodesk homestyler ftw

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘House design cad type software stuff…..’ is closed to new replies.