Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • House construction Q – Condensation – should I be concerned?
  • nedrapier

We’re in the process of buying a house. The upstairs floor rooms are built into the roof slightly so you see about foot of roof angle in the corner of the rooms. I quite like the look of it, it adds a little character.

However, there’s a some speckling on the paint on those angles, which seems to be from condensation. Presumably they’ve maximised the room size so as not to have too much intrusion from the roof angles, so there’ probably not a lot of scope for further insulation.

Is this something you would be worried about? Concerned about heating bills?

House is 30’s built.

Cheers!

nedrapier

I dun drwan a pikchur

gavinpearce
    Free Member

Likely that the roof is insulated and the skeiling (the sloping bit) is not insulated and therefore cold. Warm internal air will condensate on the cold surface. You can possibly poke some 50mm celotex type rigid insulation down the slope from the loft but try and leave a space above it to keep the ventilation across the loft space to prevent insulation in there. Nice pic.

cvilla

Are the sloping parts also called coombes, I guess different regions around GB!
    Could also insulate under ceiling just need to consider cutting in boards and skim to finish, possibly using coving trim.
    In some areas this slope would have boarded sarking, but this maybe neared to the north.

tymbian
    Free Member

You’re not looking at the underside of the roof tiles are you?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘House construction Q – Condensation – should I be concerned?’ is closed to new replies.