Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • house buying searches question
  • mrmo
    Free Member

Hopefully buying a house, searches have come back and it says no planning permissions found.

The house is an 1880’s terrace and like most has had an extension built at some point, brick work suggests 70’s to me.

Is this something i should mention to the solicitor? does it matter etc?

clubber
    Free Member

You might ask the owners for whatever documentation they have but for example, my house has a conservatory and no documentation for it. IIRC our solicitor offered us some sort of insurance that would cover us if we ever needed to do something to it because it was ‘unplanned’ but we chose not to take it out.

If it’s been there for years, it’s unlikely to be an issue.

mrmo
    Free Member

It is the repo we currently rent, having seen the previous responses from the sellers, basically “we know nothing”. Don’t see any point asking them about it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    poly
    Free Member

you are paying a solicitor for advice ask them. I might be wrong but is the search not actually for open planning applications for things your neighbour might be doing?

nickjb
    Free Member

I’d speak to the local planning office. They are generally pretty helpful. If it has been there long enough without anyone complaining then it won’t need permission. In fact I would speak to them anyway, and have a look on the website for other planning applications in the area they might impact on you as solicitors searches are often a bit rubbish.

jfletch
    Free Member

If you are worried then you can purchase buyers indemnity insurance to cover this. Fairly standardway of coping with this and is cheap in the context of buying a house.

Standard practice is that it is the seller who should pay.

dooosuk
    Free Member

We’ve just bought a 1911 terrace which has been extended at some point. No permissions found and seller just said it was pre-existing when they bought the property.

From memory our solicitor got them to pay for some insurance that meant it won’t be an issue for us.

mrmo
    Free Member

Have used the planning portal, and come back with nothing myself. I ask because sometimes it is easier to ask people who have bought a house than send a message to a solicitor and wait for them to get back.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘house buying searches question’ is closed to new replies.