• This topic has 18 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by tlr.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • House buying
  • philjunior
    Free Member

Would you buy a house in a location where you couldn’t reasonably (say 30mins) ride to some local trails?

I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t. I love being able to nip out for a spin, and exploring the local trails, sometimes doing the same loop week after week then finally being in less of a rush and heading down that mystery route, sometimes finding a corker, is something I really enjoy.

And being able to nip out for a quick spin whenever you fancy, zero faff just get dressed and go.

weeksy

Hmmmmm. No, not any more… once upon a time it wouldn’t have bothered me at all.. but now, it would be a deal breaker.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Yes probably, it wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me if I really liked a house and the location was right for lots of other reasons.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    iainc

yes, I did. It’s a 30 min drive for me to Mugdock which is closest decent stuff, bar Cathkin.

You thinking of moving ?

jam-bo

Only if the surf was good.

nickdavies

If it suits. Lots more important things in life than riding to a trail – when I lived in Birmingham it was a choice of live by trails and commute every day 45 minutes each way in traffic and ride locally, or live on the doorstep to Work and drive a couple of times a week to ride. Or ride a road bike.

Moved now specifically to be able to get out more from the front door, ride less now than I did then. Go figure. 😐

Gary_M
    Free Member

I would need easy access to the countryside though, at the moment it takes me two minutes to ride to wee country roads. I wouldn’t live somewhere that took anymore than 10 minutes escape the urban sprawl.

jimdubleyou

I did, some time ago. We recently considered moving to the countryside, but we quite like where we live so have decided to stick with it for a while.

It’s a good 60 minute ride to the North Downs from our house, so any actual mountain biking tends to need a car. I guess that’s why I do a lot more “gravel” riding these days.

philjunior
    Free Member

You thinking of moving ?

No, just following on from the other thread about riding from the door.

Don’t think I’d move somewhere I couldn’t get at least some sort of local MTB ride from.

5138008gib
    Free Member

absolutely not. its difficult enough to find the time to nip out for a quick blast never mind throwing a road trip, and all that entails, into the mix!

my mate moved to the Wirral recently, he started off with all good intentions and driving down to north wales every weekend, but it soon became a grind and it tailed off, hardly rides at all now…

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

No, I lived in Hillsborough for 2 years, which some people class as near to trails, I hated it.

Currently live about 3 minute ride from moorland

km79
    Free Member

Would you buy a house in a location where you couldn’t reasonably (say 30mins) ride to some local trails?

It would only be a deal breaker if I couldn’t get to decent trails within 30-45mins at most (be that by riding, driving or train).

matt_outandabout

Hillsborough.

That is as close as it gets surely….!

Is that more a reflection of Hillsborough itself? We didn’t like it the year and a half we were there.

philjunior
    Free Member

I suppose the only place I’ve lived where I couldn’t was London, and I did a lot of road biking there, but however you tried to escape the city it took about an hour before any real countryside (or 20 mins to Richmond Park).

perchypanther
    Free Member
    Ben_H

It would also be a deal-breaker for me.

I’d change my riding if at all possible (e.g. happy with bridleway riding rather than trails per se), or commute for longer by bike – but I’ve now accepted that cycling is a very big part of my life.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

That is as close as it gets surely….!

Maybe I never found the trails? but to get to Whernside was a ride up a busy main road. To get to the Peaks was again a trip up busy roads.

Road biking had more potential from the doorstep.

As I said though, reasonably spoilt now and can ride pretty much from the door.

Gary_M
    Free Member

but I’ve now accepted that cycling is a very big part of my life.

It’s a big part of mine too, but it’s not all about me.

tlr

No chance. In 3 houses over 20 years we haven’t lived more than a couple of minutes from trails.

Mrs is worse than me – last time we moved she dismissed anything more than about a km away from off road as she considered that too far (from a running perspective).

Currently live a couple of minutes from Blackamoor.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘House buying’ is closed to new replies.