• This topic has 25 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by hora.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • House buyer wants to use garage before exchange ??
  • renton
    Free Member

So we are selling our house and currently we are nowhere near exchange etc.

We have had a request from the buyer to see if they can use the garage to start putting their stuff in already ??

The garage is en bloc and no attached to the house in any way.

Also they seem to think they want to exchange in the October holidays which is what , 3 weeks away ?? We haven’t even had the contract packs yet ?

Back on topic… Does it seem like a reasonable request to use the garage and what should I tell them ??

Onzadog
    Free Member

We did the whole buying and selling thing last year. We did our best to keep it grown up and sensible but the closer it got to D-day, the dafter and more unreasonable both our buyer and the seller started to become.

Decided then, it’s not worth doing people favours in this situation.

garage-dweller

Personally I’d say no but if you do feel compelled to say yes it needs doing under a proper licence and they need to cover your legal costs up front imo.

drlex
    Free Member

From exchange and only if it’s empty?
    Likely to be a PITA otherwise.
    (I can probably find you a template if you want to go down the licence route, which is the prudent way)

scaredypants

you could always attach some sort of condition – “as long as we exchange/complete before …. then yes but after that date it’s 50 quid a week”

rone

No I wouldn’t – it’s another person wanting to not inconvenience themselves over you. They should put it in storage as it could drag on.

Why do people impose so much? What if it gets broken into? What if God forbid you don’t complete? You don’t need the extra hassle.

Say you need the garage for something.

inbred853

Personally I wouldn’t entertain anything of the sorts until the contracts have been exchanged. I sold a house last year and started to get pestered by the buyer about moving furniture in as they had bought it early and had nowhere to store it etc?

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’d tell them to trot on until after exchange at which point it would be fine and helpful.

renton
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies.

It’s what I was erring to anyhow.

Ideally we want to complete after the end of November as we are tied into our fixed rate until then and would need to pay a ? in fees if we sell before then.

cpon
    Free Member

Politely decline. A garage could come in handy prior to moving and you don’t want to be liable for damaging or loss of any of their stuff.

boblo
    Free Member

Just tell em it’s full of stuff as theirs must be if they want their stuff in yours….

edhornby

I’m gonna agree on the masses – moving is a gigantic PITA even when smooth so avoiding any kind of complexity is the thing, and this is a complexity you don’t need

shermer75
    Free Member

On the plus side, if they want to store shoes then you’ll have an extra place to go for a wee

totalshell

no no no and for effect no.. stay well clear if you were selling a car would you let them put stuff in the boot before they paid in full..

reformedfatty
    Free Member

I’d say no as well.

A story of how it can go.

Parents buying a house, mahoosive garden, all set to exchange and complete within a week. Can we start moving garden stuff over? okies..

Bottom of the chain falls through, now they are renting the house complete to keep their seller sweet. Of course, if that chain doesn’t reestablish itself sharpish who knows what might happen.

Flaperon

After exchange – sure. I let my buyers borrow a corner of my garage and the person whose house I bought did the same.

Before exchange – absolutely not.

frankconway

Before exchange – definite No.
    Even after exchange, I would be wary; so after exchange suggest they rent a unit and you offer to contribute to costs for defined and limited time period but do not give any access to your property unless you both know them well and trust them.
    Plenty of buyers out there – ???? I hope/think there are………………..

jeffl

Jog and On would be my response.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

“We’ve decided to use the garage ourselves to pack some non-essentials up and get them out of the way.”

Gary_M
    Free Member

Even after exchange, I would be wary; so after exchange suggest they rent a unit and you offer to contribute to costs

I’d tell the buyers you’re using your garage to store your own stuff.

Why would you offer to contribute to the cost of the buyer storing their stuff?

wicki
    Free Member

I have done this several times both storing for te new buyer and storing at the new house I am buying. judge the people if your cofortable why not? but the sale needs to be rock solid deposit paid non refundable.

mtbfix

IANAL but your solicitor would probably tell you not to. If it were me I’d not even entertain the idea post exchange. The only thing in it for you is the potential liability.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

The main point in its favour is that is shows commitment from the buyer.

You would need them to take insurance, etc.

matt_outandabout

I wouldn’t, but it depends on what level of stupidity is buying your house (assume the worst).

Last purchase we did, having been kicked around and lied to by vendor and agent for eight weeks, ended up with vendor stood shouting on doorstep of our rented house demanding to see if the boxes were packed, as our mortgage company missed the money transfer by one day and we had to postpone 24hrs….

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Isn’t possession 9/10ths of the law?
    Have they got any decent kit that you want?

hora
    Free Member

I’d say is love to but your looking after a friends classic car whilst he is on holiday.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘House buyer wants to use garage before exchange ??’ is closed to new replies.