Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • House building – why is the chimney built first?
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

Near me, there are two different (unconnected) plots of land, both of which have only the foundations and the chimneys built (up to roof height). Then nothing else has been done for ages. Presumably the owners are waiting until they have either the time or money to finish the rest of the houses. But why does the chimney have to go up in its entirety before anything else starts?

trail_rat
    Free Member

brickies are in doing the founds

house will likely be a pre formed kit house made of wood.

chimneys dont like to be made of wood

brickies like easy jobs – much easier to build it without the kit round you – errecting scaffolding and such like is much easier.

psling
    Free Member

Ty Un Nos. If you could build a chimney overnight and have a fire burning in the hearth next morning you could claim squatter’s rights and lay claim to the land the 4 corners of which are marked by the distance you could throw your axe from the hearth. Alternatively, they’re going to be timber frame houses and they need to get the brick built parts up first…

thegreatape
    Free Member

Yes, it’s Scotland, and most of what gets built round here is timber framed. That makes sense. My mind is now at peace once again.

samuri
    Free Member

Because the house may still be being built when father christmas comes, silly.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Doh

z1ppy

it’s not always (built first)…if built at all (I was shocked to find out about these!)

coffeeking
    Free Member

A few of the houses I looked at around here had no chimney at all, no any remnants of one inside or out, which I found unusual.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Common practice due to planning zippy!! Just built 5 houses with fake chimney stacks that started from the loft bedroom, then project thro the roof as normal. They are there to be “in keeping” with other local properties!! Load of bollox!! We even put blanked off chimney pots on that had a stamp on them saying “do not connect to a real flue” 🙄

tonyd

Perhaps they’re just garden features. Chiminia anyone?

highclimber
    Free Member

My Mum’s house (a newish build) has no chimney.

zimbo
    Free Member

Maybe they’re actually finished and they’re just really tall, small houses with no windows.

nealglover
    Free Member

Maybe they’re actually finished and they’re just really tall, small houses with no windows.

Almost certainly this.

:mrgreen:

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Surely it’s the dumb waiter shaft?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘House building – why is the chimney built first?’ is closed to new replies.