Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • House aerials
  • partyboy1101
    Free Member

I’m just about to move into a new house and the developer/contractor has neglected to install either an aerial or booster. They have however installed co-axial cable from a top floor cupboard to each of the TV points and there is also a cable out through the gable wall which I assume is for the aerial.

I am as yet undecided whether I will renew my contract with Sky or whether to give Virgin media a try. Do I need to get an aerial installed anyway? Is there an eay way to have sky or cable in each room or do I need to buy something expensive?

Milkie
    Free Member

Do I need to get an aerial installed anyway?
    You don’t need an aerial to have Virgin/Sky installed. If you have more than one TV, then an aerial is the way to go.

Is there an eay way to have sky or cable in each room or do I need to buy something expensive?
    A half decent aerial booster will be able to distribute the signal between the rooms. The only downside is you can only watch what is on the Virgin/Sky box, so if 2 rooms want to watch something, it will have to be the same channel. For this reason you should install an aerial.

We have a Proception StarBox, which takes Sky/Virgin/CCTV and many more signals. We have it hooked up so you can watch what is on downstairs, or a different freeview channel.

partyboy1101
    Free Member

Cheers Milkie, good advice.

jota180
    Free Member

the developer/contractor has neglected to install either an aerial or booster.

Standard practice, the spark just puts in cabling

Try one in the roof space and see if it works before going to the trouble of getting it done
    It needs to be level [usually], the correct orientation and pointing at the transmitter [again, usually]
    B&Q do one for a tenner that has decent gain and pretty good performance all round

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘House aerials’ is closed to new replies.