Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Hotmail help tricky one
  • xcgb
    Free Member

Hi all
    My father in law has had a bad stroke abroad and cant talk or write.

Is there any way that hotmail would allow his family access to his hotmail account so we can see who may be trying to get hold of him as it was the main communication as he is abroad? hopefully he may be able to type in the future but will need his password.

i have looked on the help centre but nowt on there that i can see

Ta

xcgb
    Free Member

Actually just found this

http://windowslivehelp.com/solution.aspx?solutionid=2aa89618-2244-4187-8383-39b5503587f5

But as he’s abroad some of that that may be tricky…..

martinhutch

No quick way, I’m afraid.

This link talks about what you could do if someone has died, but mentions ‘power of attorney’. If you are planning to get lasting power of attorney to help him manage his affairs, in theory you should be able to contact Microsoft at the address given and, once you’ve supplied the documentation, gain access to the acct, or at least the data within it.

http://blog.entrustet.com/digital-executor-toolbox/how-to-access-or-delete-hotmail-accounts/

njee20
    Free Member

Can he communicate at all to indicate his password? Board of letters – blink at appropriate one.

xcgb
    Free Member

Can he communicate at all to indicate his password? Board of letters – blink at appropriate one.

Nope the brain works but when he writes or points it comes out garbled

thats the joy of strokes 🙁

xcgb
    Free Member

This link talks about what you could do if someone has died,

it does say incapacitated too, we have access to his bank accounts in Cyprus but not the UK, we should be able to get a cyprus doctor and lawyer to sign something if they wil accept that

Oh well give it a go i guess

njee20
    Free Member

Nope the brain works but when he writes or points it comes out garbled

thats the joy of strokes

Aye – so you point, he just blinks. Spell it out.

xcgb
    Free Member

Nope he thinks he is writing/pointing at something but he isn’t . hard to explain but it isn’t going to work.

We aren’t sure how good his memory is either, its hard to say so chances are he may not actually know what it is anymore

Cougar

Do you know any of his passwords for anything else? Many people reuse the same password for everything.

Has he got it tied to another account anywhere? Ie, what happens if you go through the ‘I’ve forgot my password’ routine?

xcgb
    Free Member

what happens if you go through the ‘I’ve forgot my password’ routine?

We get to a security question of what was my first school friend! I was hoping for mothers maiden name!

geoffj

Did he use hotmail on his own laptop? Could it be stored in somewhere like Firefox saved passwords? Or in Outlook / Windows Mail. Are there any other password visible that could be the same as he uses for Hotmail?

Alternatively, could you not call anyone who may be trying to get in touch?

xcgb
    Free Member

Alternatively, could you not call anyone who may be trying to get in touch

We have but we havent had much contact with him over the last few years so there are bound to be pople we dont know.

I guess if its important they can find us, but i thought it might help him to have contact with as many folk as possible

xcgb
    Free Member

Update-

Hotmail were very helpful, will accept a letter from the lawyer in Cyprus and proof of relationship, they wont give passwords but will send out a DVD with all the data on so we can see his adress book/ emails

Cougar

Wow.

Good to know, cheers for the update.

wwaswas

I’m impressed, tbh, you tend to think you’ll just be told where to go with big web operations like that.

xcgb
    Free Member

Yes they replied within 24hrs too!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Hotmail help tricky one’ is closed to new replies.