Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Hotels / places to stay in New York?
  • sam_underhill

Any advice please? Got a couple of midweek nights in New York in May. The Mrs has suggested somewhere in the “midtown” area, which looks like its close to Central Park which should be a reasonably central location to hit some of the big ticket “must see” stuff.

There’s at least a squillion hotels if I search on things like last mintue / late rooms etc. So really, I’m just looking for any recommendations, perhaps something that isn’t a blueprint hotel?

Thanks in advance.

Helios
    Free Member

I’m not a fan of ubiquitous Hilton/Marriot/Best Western faceless things either… When i was in NY I stayed in the Muse hotel. It is spitting distance from Times Square, well kept, nice bar, good rooms, massive comfy bed and good bathroom. Not cheap – but very nice.

The Muse Hotel

peterfile
    Free Member

Pretty much everything is close in Manhatten, I tend to walk most places and ocassionally take cabs.

There’s a really nice place (a “boutique” hotel) on Park Av called Hotel Giraffe, a bit outside your preferred area, but it’s a lovely wee hotel. They have live jazz/pianist and cheese and wine in the lounge every night. Really friendly and pretty reasonable for NYC.

Hotel Giraffe

footflaps

Last time we were there we stayed in the Waldorf Astoria, near to Grand Central Station.

Waldorf Astoria by brf, on Flickr

peterfile
    Free Member

Did you like the Waldorf? I stayed the for work a couple of times and thought it was pretty souless. Nice building though.

sam_underhill

Interesting stuff so far, Thanks folks. Everything I’ve looked at that isn’t a ‘hole is at least £225 per night so the suggestions so far don’t look too scary price wise.

Keep it coming, if you’ve got more 😉

footflaps

Did you like the Waldorf? I stayed the for work a couple of times and thought it was pretty souless. Nice building though.

I think hotel rooms are all the same. The foyer / bar are nice etc.

Full of history, which us why we chose it.

Cole Porter’s Steinway by brf, on Flickr

footflaps

NB You need to dress properly (jacket & tie) to use the restaurant in some US Hotels, eg WA, none of this Jeans and T shirt European thing!

peterfile
    Free Member

Yeah, I reckon I am always a bit jaded after I stay somewhere for work.

The only time I’ve stayed in the Waldorf for holiday was in 2004, so before they had renovated much of the hotel, but despite this I quite enjoyed it, it was my first time in NYC too.

torihada
    Free Member

I stayed at the Bryant Hotel last summer as a birthday present for Mrs T. Its on 40th and overlooks Bryant Park,with open air cafes, shows films in the summer (ice skating in winter) and is generally a nice place to chill out in. Rooms are large and clean, bathrooms are luxurious. Always try and get higher up the building (= quieter).

Had previously stayed at the Hudson (v. close to Sth end of Central Park) which is a painfully hip boutique hotel with tiny rooms and the lowest lit reception area I have ever had the pleasure of stumbling into.

MussEd
    Free Member

The Ace Hotel was good…great restaurant and coffee place down the stairs…

fasthaggis

We stayed here on West 57th .Really enjoyed it,good sized rooms.
    Great walking distance to the park and subway .

The Salisbury

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Hotels / places to stay in New York?’ is closed to new replies.