Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Hotel recommendation for Prague, please :-)
  • chunkymonkey
    Free Member

Am travelling to Prague next Sunday for work and need to book a hotel for the evening. Will be driving from the airport and would like somewhere fairly central, preferably with parking, so I can explore the city and have a few beers 🙂 Only staying the one night as got something booked for the rest of the trip a couple of hours from Prague.

Never been there before but hear that the old part of the city is well worth exploring so any recommendations on where to visit would be good too.

kimbers

We stayed here, http://fusionhotels.com

Was very cool and funky with a bar downstairs partying on to the early hours

There’s loads to see, tho the Czech definition of a museum is pretty generous tho, but a day spent strolling round the old town and the castle is well worth it

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

Cheers Kimbers, that looks absolutely spot on 😆

ian-r

Stayed at the Hotel Cerny Slon. Next to the Cathedral and old town square. Food, rooms and location all good.

alanl
    Free Member

Stayed here twice:
    http://www.salvator.cz/

From what I recall, there is plenty of parking down the road from there.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Friday hotel is ok, pretty central. Not sure about parking.

TBH I was quite disappointed with the “few beers” options. Most places where 100% for tourists and more local places only sold Budwar which is OK but I was hoping for more.

Watch out for the tourists on Segways all over the place

Best parts are undoubtably the main square (15 mins), Jewish Quarter and Palace’s on the hill. Not sure what the fascination is with the old bridge, worth a walk over but that’s about it. If I went back I would try and get away from Prague and see some of the rest of the country with less tourists. If you have a car a it sounds like you’ll be able to do that.

alanl
    Free Member

Yes, Prague is a ‘self enclosed bubble’ in the Cz Rep.
    Lots of places outside the city that are really nice, and pretty much tourist free.
    Trains are pretty cheap if you havent got transport, English may be difficult at the stations, so ask the hotel receptionist to write down what you want in Cz before you go.
    We had 3 days trips out, Pilzen, the town where Skoda is – Mlada Boleslav, and once to a rail museum, which was in a tiny village,Lužná u Rakovníka, but was the best, as the scenery on the way was great, and dirnks in the smallest of bars near to the station, where no-one talked English, but we got by with my phrase book.

doris5000

yeah it’s a tricky one – the old city is definitely worth a look, especially if you like crowds – but it’s not really compatible with ‘decent pubs for a couple of beers’. That’s a bit like asking for a decent pub near Buckingham Palace…

I haven’t been to Prague in a couple of years but if I wanted a chilled beer I would probably hop on the Underground to Jiriho z Podebrad and wander towards the TV tower (worth a look in itself) – lots of nice neighbourhood bars around there. Or the street called Ujezd, at the bottom of Petrin Hill (which is also well worth a wander up, use the funicular to get up, then walk down!).

Oh yes – if it’s hot then there are 100000 outdoor bars to enjoy. My pick is in the park called Letenske Sady, it overlooks the city (just on the north side of the river), very pleasant to look down onto the city with a beer of an evening 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Hotel recommendation for Prague, please :-)’ is closed to new replies.