Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Hotel in Paris advice
  • smogmonster

I’m taking the missus to Paris in January, neither of us having ever been, so consequently I haven’t a clue about hotels and where to stay. So we’re taking in the usual tourist sites, plus doing the Crazy Horse and Moulin Rouge Cabarets on the Saturday and Sunday evenings. Ideally looking to pay under £300 total for the Fri/Sat/Sunday nights, inc Breakfast and be close to the sites and ideally close to a Metro station. Any Paris experts able to help out?

ElShalimo

Booking.com is usually a good place to look. Try Happy Culture hotels, they have several in the 9th Arrondissement

the-muffin-man

I looked on the major booking sites – found one we liked the look of and booked with the hotel direct. Always look at the hotels website to see if they have offers on.

£300 is a pretty slim budget for 3 weekend nights in a central hotel though, you’d need to be looking further out of the centre and Metro in.

Daffy

Saint German is pretty central and there’s usually a good range of hotels to suit budget.

swillybey
    Free Member

We stayed HEREin November for my missus’ birthday. Literally outside a metro station, 2 min walk to eiffel tower and a nice area with carrefour next door. Pretty simple hotel with no frills but was very modern, comfortable, quiet and the staff friendly.

Watch out for pick pockets and people trying to tie a small bit of string around your wrist…

tuboflard

Last time I was over I stopped at hotel L’Antoine on Rue de Charrone, not too central but still really easy to get to most of the attractions. I’d avoid stopping very central as you’ll just end up either paying a massive premium or getting a crap hotel. Try and look a little further out, 11e and 12e arrondisements are pretty cool. There’s a hotel called mama shelter which is very nice too.

My brother lives at Place de la Nation and I’d much rather stop in a neighbourhood like that and travel in on the metro than be right in the middle, the metro should all be part of the experience. There are also some lesser known things to do round there but which are still really nice like the coulee verte walkway and the Pere Lachaise cemetery.

I know you didn’t ask for a food recommendation but there is an excellent restaurant on Ile de la Cite called Au Bougnat. Superb food.

iainc

junior and I had a great value, clean room in Hotel Tivoli, just yards from L’Arc de Triomphe, on the night of the Tour finale in July. Was about £100 room only, through booking.com and was great.

oldnpastit

Someone from here (Jambalaya?) recommended Hotel Beauborg on a similar thread. I went with my wife and some of the munchkins, it was pretty good.

Excellent breakfast, quiet, very close to lots of places.

iain1775
    Free Member

Hotel Splendid near the Eiffel tower

Tell them its your wedding anniversary and request a room with a view of the tower 😉

I did this and got upgraded to the entire top floor honeymoon suite, 400 euros a night and I think I paidf about 80 Euros 🙂

Edit – looks like its changed its name, this is where we stayed – http://comtesse-hotel.com/

Next time we went we stayed near the Place d’Italia, good metro links and easy enough to drive in from the motorway with a cheap pre-bookable parking garage nearby

jambalaya
    Free Member

smog firstly any other help my email is in my profile, we are living just outside the centre to the West. My wife is from Paris so will be able to help with any questions.

£300 for 3 nights in Jan very do-able and you should get something good even spending less than that. Booking.com is good enough certainly for research. Air B&B widely used if you want to go that route (sounds not)

Hotel. We recommend Best-Western at Trocadero (some rooms have Tower view, book direct and make the request) – Trocadero itself has the best elevated view of the tower and a metro station and a good place to start a walk. Fabulous cafe/patessiere Chez Carette. The Shangri-La Hotel is wonderful and possibly may have some deals but maybe out of budget (we are biased as we had our wedding reception there – as above we got a big discount out of season so call and ask inc place of prior poster)

Saint-German very popular with tourists but retains its classic Paris charm, well located (for a nice dinner not too pricey Chez Fernand – share a cafe Gourmand desert). Good area recommendation.

Moulin Rouge area not the best to stay imo, fairly cheap though

Download google maps offline and walk a lot (normal big city caution for pick pockets)
    Buy a 10 ticket “carnet” for metro – can be bought in machine
    La Forchette / The Fork app for restaurant discounts
    Uber works (been on strike recently but that’s France 😉 )
    Will send you/post here a walking route suggestion

jsync

I’d say in the 6th – Saint Germain.

globalti
    Free Member

You can’t beat Novotels for mid-range value and clean, secure comfort.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Hotel in Paris advice’ is closed to new replies.