• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by ji.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Hot work bead making or Lampwork
  • ji
    Free Member

Any experts here (on the basis that STW knows everything)? My daughter (17) is interested in getting into lampworking – melting rods of glass in a blowtorch to make beads etc. She has asked for some starter equipment for Christmas, but I am a bit unsure what to get – eg would something like this be a good starter kit, and what else should I be looking at?

Also how easy is the gas (Mapp) to get in the UK – I assume I can’t just link this up to a standard propane/butane tank?

Thanks

mick_r

Not a clue about glasswork but some of my brazing gear comes via a beadmaking place.

http://www.tuffnellglass.com/contents/en-uk/d103.html

I use one of the 2nd hand oxygen concentrators (£235 ex-hire medical gear) in conjunction with a small 6kg propane cylinder for brazing bike frames. I’ve done many hours of brazing without any refills (using a regular gas welding torch).

I’m sure they’d be able to answer any questions regarding what is feasible with a propane torch vs MAPP vs oxy-propane (which you could also do with “hobby gas” refillable oxygen cylinders).

I use those small disposable MAPP cylinders for silver soldering cable guides etc. They are easy to get (B&Q, Screwfix etc) but might be quite pricy in the long run (my small plumbing style torch would probably use one in about 20 mins running).

ji
    Free Member

Thanks for the link Mick. They look pretty cheap for a hot head torch (which takes Mapp cylinders) although I note your comment about price… I’ aiming at a budget of up to £100 max, so even second hand the oxygen kit looks too pricey.

I’m sort of surprised that there aren’t more starter kits around – everything you need to get started sort of thing.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Hot work bead making or Lampwork’ is closed to new replies.