Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Hot drink on a hot day
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

My workmates seem to think that drinking hot tea on a hot day is madness, but I love it, and I’m sure I heard that hot drinks actually help cool you down.

Am I right? or stupid?

Biggets problem is they’re refusing to get the office round in as they don’t want one 🙁

wrightyson
    Free Member

Builder I started out with swore by it! Just had a hot cup of tea at break myself!

joao3v16
    Free Member

If it’s true …

why do gym’s refrigerate all the sports drinks, instead of providing a tea urn?

why are professional sportists always seen drinking cold/chilled drinks instead of unscrewing the top off a Thermos flask of hot lemon drink?

spock
    Free Member

raises your internal temp causing sweating and vasodilation, more blood flow to superficial capilleries so having a cooling effect? just a guess

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

You’re stupid, but as you already had an inkling that this might be the case you’re clrearly not an imbecile.

HTH

Cougar

You’re stupid, have no grasp of thermodynamics

FTFY.

A hot drink will make you sweat more, but that’s just trying to offset the additional heat rather than the ambient heat. A hot drink can’t make you cooler, it’s not physically possible.

That doesn’t stop it being nice, of course. *sips coffee*

smogmonster

As per Spock. Its why Indians eat superhot curries – causes sweating and therefore cools down.

creamegg
    Free Member

I would take a guess that indians eat super hot curries to mask the flavour of rotting meat. Chillies also will slow down bacteria and therefore make the meat last longer.

racefaceec90

i’ll drink coffee no matter how hot the temp is (i loves it 😉 actually now is a good time to make another 😀

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

i’ll drink coffee no matter how hot the temp is as long as it’s made with water heated within the range 92-96 deg C

If you were freezing cold would you eat an ice lolly?

smogmonster

Creamegg, my collegue, who lives in Mumbai will confirm that i am correct – its him that told me. Unless hes yanking my chain of course.

jon1973
    Free Member

raises your internal temp causing sweating and vasodilation, more blood flow to superficial capilleries so having a cooling effect?

So, following that logic. If you’re really cold, you should drink and icy drink which will make you shiver more and warm you up?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

A spicy curry doesn’t make you ‘hotter’ than any other cooked meal though… but will encourage additional sweating.

Sorry, I had more to add but the collective brain cell is required by a different user on a different thread.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

You’re stupid,

fair enough.

I’m going to make the tea.

Cougar

I would take a guess that indians eat super hot curries to mask the flavour of rotting meat.

I believe that this might have contributed to its rise in popularity. I suspect that these days the reason is far more likely to be “because they like it.”

I also believe that “super hot curries” are a western thing.

ObDisclaimer, I Am Not Indian.

mogrim

I believe that this might have contributed to its rise in popularity. I suspect that these days the reason is far more likely to be “because they like it.”

Personally I doubt it – meat is traditionally a rich man’s meal, and in poorer countries the slaughter takes place in city centres – little or no journey time, and no wastage. I find it unlikely that it would be allowed to rot.

GTDave
    Free Member

Cougar – Member

You’re stupid, have no grasp of thermodynamics

FTFY

Hmmmm, let me FTFY….

You have no grasp of thermodynamics.

😉

Cougar

I was thinking “past its best” rather than “rotten,” but yeah, fair comment.

TBH, I’m not wholly unconvinced that it’s not just an urban myth with its roots in racist propaganda. If it was routine practice then eating spicy curries would have quickly died out along with most of the wealthier parts of India.

Cougar

Hmmmm, let me FTFY….

Blast.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Back to life, back to realitea..

As for drinking hot liquids on hot days, I was always told that ice cold drinks, whilst drunk on hot days, cause the motabalism to go into a mini shock as both ambiant (air) and inner core (of the body) temps are far far greater than a +4C Iced Tea.. Then the body tries harder to heat the liquid up before it ends up in the “hot” stomach..

Could be a load of cr*p of course…

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I always finish a shower on hot, on hot days, because it makes it seem cooler when you get out.

Bonkers?

loddrik
    Free Member

Well the food seems to get spicier the further south in India you get, which corresponds with the higher climatic temperatures so surely it can’t be a coincidence…

mogrim

Bonkers?

‘Fraid so, sorry. Don’t stop taking the pills.

Cougar

Well the food seems to get spicier the further south in India you get, which corresponds with the higher climatic temperatures so surely it can’t be a coincidence…

Warmer climates = hotter local spices growing?

(I thought the hot south thing was a myth anyway?)

RealMan
    Free Member

Ok this is mostly guesswork here but..

A cup of drinkable tea is what? About 60 degrees Celsius? Compared to the human temperature of 38, it’s not a huge increase, and as a cup of liquid is really quite a small amount, there isn’t a huge amount of energy there.

Then you have the vasodilator effect, and the body’s sweating reaction.

Plus tea is still a liquid – it will hydrate you (so will beer, coffee, etc. etc.).

However, I’m pretty sure the human body can absorb colder drinks easier – which is why colder drinks are better for rehydration.

For keeping cool, it’s probably very close to six of one and half a dozen of the other.

Also,

I was always told that ice cold drinks, whilst drunk on hot days, cause the motabalism to go into a mini shock

This sounds vaguely familiar.

I always finish a shower on hot, on hot days, because it makes it seem cooler when you get out.

The body is very good at sensing difference in temperatures, but not much else. Therefore if you stick one hand into a bowl of ice water and another into a bowl of hot water, leave them to get accustomed, then stick them both in a bowl of room temp water, it will seem cold to the hot hand, and hot to the cold hand. That’s how I would explain what you have been feeling.

molgrips
    Free Member

I would take a guess that indians eat super hot curries to mask the flavour of rotting meat

Not true. For a start it doesn’t work.

If you were freezing cold would you eat an ice lolly?

If you are very cold then eating ice cream does warm you up – it is sugary and fatty, and more energy becomes available that your body can use for warming itself up.

I once went for a swim in the sea in Brittany because my Mum kept going on about how the sea was as warm as the Med, so we decided to demonstrate how silly she was being. Stripped off on the beach 4C felt icy. We managed a short dip, then when we got out standing on the beach again felt absolutely balmy. Strange but true 🙂

RealMan
    Free Member

beach 4C felt icy. We managed a short dip, then when we got out standing on the beach again felt absolutely balmy.

Water will steal more heat energy from you then air, especially moving water. And then it’s just the same as what I said above.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes, that’s why I posted it. About perception.

mustard
    Free Member

The Portugese introduced chillies to India from South America.

That’s about all I have to add 🙂

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

If it’s true …

why do gym’s refrigerate all the sports drinks, instead of providing a tea urn?

why are professional sportists always seen drinking cold/chilled drinks instead of unscrewing the top off a Thermos flask of hot lemon drink?

Fashion and marketing.

I’ve bin to Bangladesh, which is properly, properly hot. People there drink copious amounts of tea. As do many people in other hot countries. They appear to stay cooler than people you see here in Britain, downing lots of cold liquids in the blazing heat. And it’s hotter there too. Much hotter.

I tend to look at what folk in hot countries do to stay cool, rather than what sports drink manufacturers suggest. Probbly more useful.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Water will steal more heat energy from you then air, especially moving water. And then it’s just the same as what I said above

Yes, it’s the King’s law

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

When you drink a cold drink, your body burns up energy trying to get it to body temperature, this in itself makes you hotter

richmars

When I worked on a farm one summer, we always enjoyed the hot,very sweet tea we had every afternoon. It may have been the high sugar content, or it’s warmth, or the attractiveness of the farmers wife who delivered it that made it so welcome.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Unclear if you enjoyed the hot, sweet tea or the hot sweetie

I_Ache
    Free Member

I was told by a (2nd gen) Indian that the hot curries were developed in the mountainous regions to keep them warm and the more mild curries eg Korma in the warmer regions to keep the cool.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Hot drink on a hot day’ is closed to new replies.