Viewing 31 posts - 121 through 151 (of 151 total)
  • Hostility on the roads
  • oldbloke
    Free Member

Everyone limited to 70mph wouldn’t stop accidents, it would probably cause them

You may laugh Lifer, but as anyone driving the A9 since the cameras went on, consistent mileage at the speed limit is a distant memory. The long convoys and reduced average speed are almost certainly behind accidents like Wednesday’s – I’ve certainly seen more worrying overtakes since they went on than before. No-one killed Wednesday, but to keep STW happy, an Audi was involved.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i drove the a9 south from perth to dunblane recently with the new ave speed cameras.

the only thing that was different for me was i stayed to **** away from any other cars-

folks are driving round looking down at their speedo it seems – random weaving , not seeing slower moving cars , random braking – just utter madness.

oldbloke
    Free Member

True – no-one leaves space between cars in the convoys so overtaking is harder. And everyone else is bored and paying vague attention to the lights of the car in front only. Worried now about being hit in the phantom braking incidents as much as anything else.

I’m on Perth to Inverness section almost weekly and I’ve started to vary my travel times even more because it is just nuts now.

sobriety
    Free Member

I’ve certainly seen more worrying overtakes since they went on than before.

Same in Nottinghamshire, I’ve discovered that I have to work really hard at not becoming the sort of driver I hate when I have to follow some numpty driving at 40mph in a 50mph average speed checked zone ‘just to be safe’…

beer247
    Free Member

I had a nice experience a couple of weekends ago.

Driving to Suffolk from Manchester with the girlfriend, came off the M6 at the Catthorpe Interchange – quite a bit of work going on there at the moment.

Approached a set of temporary traffic lights at the end of the slip road and looking at the signage thought I was in the wrong lane to get on the A14. Popped my indicator on to get in the right hand lane, silver golf in said lane looked like he was giving me space to move in, so I moved and flashed my hazard lights to say thank you. How wrong I was.

looked in my wing mirror to see what I can only describe as a tattooed pug faced idiot going mental and threatening to get out of his car to “do” me in. Luckily lights turned to green and we set off, only for pug face to cut another driver up in the left hand lane to get alongside me. Stopped at another set of traffic lights with pug face still going mental, shouting at my girlfriend to wind the window down. My girlfriend naively did as requested and attempted to apologise – saying we didn’t know the road etc.

Pug face then spat at her – no words can describe the rage that I felt after that.
    He zoomed off so I gunned it after him, bearing in mind he was driving a clapped out Mk4 Golf whereas I was in a BMW 320d he didn’t get very far and I overtook him shaking my head.

This led to 20 miles of tailgating by the idiot, whilst taking pictures of the rear of my car with his phone and brandishing what I think was a screwdriver.

He exited the motorway at Kettering – I was seriously considering pulling over and having it out with him, but my girlfriend convinced me that was probably a very bad idea and not to lower myself to his level.

Stupidly didn’t take his reg, so couldn’t inform the police – had been traveling for about 5 hours at that point and just wanted to get to the destination.
    Really can’t believe that there are people out there like this!

Cougar

You really think the oncoming car would have simply ploughed straight into you?

I can’t be sure of course, but his road position and approach (and, stereotypically, vehicle choice) were very aggressive, and led me to believe that he had absolutely no intention of stopping or even slowing. You may appreciate why I didn’t opt to play a game of chicken to call his bluff. (-:

id have just let them stop/reverse for their stupidity.

Then you’d probably be picking bull bars out of your knees right now.

aracer
    Free Member

I’d have stopped. As molgrips says, in reality it’s pretty unlikely he’d have actually rammed you. Clearly I wasn’t there, but generally people are quite happy to intimidate other road users by giving the impression they’re not going to stop – most aren’t actually insane enough to ram other cars head on.

Stopped and let them reverse back to somewhere we could pass each other – I’ve done that more than once before when somebody has just gone past a passing place. They don’t tend to be happy, but if you stop for long enough and make it clear you’re not reversing (getting out of the car and walking towards them tends to work – and I’m not talking road rage stylee here) then they do eventually give way.

Lifer
    Free Member

aracer – Member
    They don’t tend to be happy, but if you stop for long enough and make it clear you’re not reversing (getting out of the car and walking towards them tends to work – and I’m not talking road rage stylee here) then they do eventually give way.

Obviously rolling a cigarette is a good one. Even if you’re not a smoker.

ahwiles
    Free Member

oldbloke – Member

…The long convoys and reduced average speed are almost certainly behind accidents like Wednesday’s…

yes, let’s blame anything other than human error.

Lifer
    Free Member

ahwiles – Member

“oldbloke – Member

…The long convoys and reduced average speed are almost certainly behind accidents like Wednesday’s…”

+1, and I don’t see how these worrying overtakes would be made safer by going faster than 70?

Cougar

Pug face then spat at her – no words can describe the rage that I felt after that.

😯 Wow.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Lifer – Member

+1, and I don’t see how these worrying overtakes would be made safer by going faster than 70?

maybe it’s because you’re not an advanced driver?

oldbloke
    Free Member

Of course it is human error. Few accidents are not. But irrespective of how people ought to drive, increased frustration is likely to lead to more stupidity. 20-45 mins has been added to a previously c. 2 hour journey.

The cameras were introduced with the stated aim of improving driver behaviour. The increased journey times and possible risk taking as a result was dismissed by the scheme planners.

jamesfts
    Free Member

You’d be on the wrong side of the road for a shorter amount of time…?

Whist we’re on rants.

#1 Pheasants. Just run them over, they’re only purpose in life is to eventually be shot. If you do an emergency stop for one be prepared for the drive behind to get out and beat you with the stupid feathery thing.

2# If you can’t drive at over 35mph in the dark and feel the need to brake to 25 every time a car comes the other way go and get your eyes tested and some driving lessons.

Other than that I really enjoy my drive to and from work.

retro83
    Free Member

beer247 – Member
    He zoomed off so I gunned it after him, bearing in mind he was driving a clapped out Mk4 Golf whereas I was in a BMW 320d he didn’t get very far and I overtook him shaking my head.

That is absolutely disgusting, what a cretin.

Puzzling to me why you subsequently chased him down though. Let him go off and ruin somebody else’s day.

Cougar

If you do an emergency stop for one be prepared for the drive behind to get out

Not seeing a problem unless the driver behind is too close and / or not paying sufficient attention?

Lifer
    Free Member

jamesfts – Member
    You’d be on the wrong side of the road for a shorter amount of time…?

Or people will go for even smaller gaps travelling faster. Brilliant!

Edukator
    Free Member

2# If you can’t drive at over 35mph in the dark and feel the need to brake to 25 every time a car comes the other way go and get your eyes tested and some driving lessons.

I’m quite happy to come to a complete halt if the lights of on-coming traffic mean I can’t see. If we’re going to have driving rules my first is

#1 Don’t go where you can’t see.

Remember the cyclist (with lights) killed when a driver ploughed into him from behind.

Stereotypes work. I used have a roomful of students in hysterics with my stereotypes and their cars lesson. If nothing else it proved Twingo-owning housewives were capable at laughing at themselves but BMW 5 series owners were not.

jamesfts
    Free Member

Or people will go for even smaller gaps travelling faster. Brilliant!

That’s got bugger all to do with it. Just stating a fact, the faster you get out and back onto your side of the road the safer it is. If the gap is too small you don’t overtake in the 1st place.

Not seeing a problem unless the driver behind is too close and / or not paying sufficient attention?

That is exactly the problem, how many drivers do you trust to be doing just that? An emergency stop for a person fair enough but but I wouldn’t chance writing your car off on the off chance the person behind is paying attention.

I’m quite happy to come to a complete halt if the lights of on-coming traffic mean I can’t see. If we’re going to have driving rules my first is

Yes but on a wide, national speed limit road at night that isn’t the case.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes but on a wide, national speed limit road at night that isn’t the case.

Hang on – you mean it’s not possible to be dazzled by oncoming lights that are badly adjusted or something? You sure you could see a pedestrian in that situation?

peterfile
    Free Member

Hang on – you mean it’s not possible to be dazzled by oncoming lights that are badly adjusted or something? You sure you could see a pedestrian in that situation?

I’ve hit the brakes loads of times up north when people forget/refuse to turn off their full beams, especially if they’re coming round a tight corner that I’m just heading into.

jamesfts
    Free Member

Yes, fair enough on those points BUT I’m not talking about the odd car with badly adjusted lights/main beam etc. This is for every car that comes the other way.

EVERY SINGLE CAR.

Whilst we’re at it… if you’ve got a headlight out then change the bulb don’t drive merrily on on a combination of fogs/sides/main beam. Seem 1 in 10 around here has a comedy selection of lights at the mo, maybe they’re trying to be festive.

molgrips
    Free Member

I often slow down on narrow roads in the dark. As above, better to slow than to just drive into an inky void. It’s usually on B type roads though where it’s a bit tighter.

If someone has a little trouble seeing at night, but they can mitigate it by driving carefully – isn’t this better than banning that person? That could cos them their job or mean they never get to see their family etc. An old person living rurally could be dependent on their driving license for a social life. They shouldn’t have to pay for your slight convenince.

The point is that roads are to be shared by all – grannies and driving gods, and those who need to take it easier to feel comfortable should not be villified.

Edukator
    Free Member

However I’d rather both grannies and driving Gods had obligatory eye tests and a driving evaluation every five years from the age of fifty.

A cyclist was killed by an eighty-odd-year old driver on a wide road with a cycle lane near my home yesterday. Knocked over the bridge rails

Cougar

if you’ve got a headlight out then change the bulb don’t drive merrily on on a combination of fogs/sides/main beam.

On the fifteen minute commute home in the dark yesterday, I counted four vehicles travelling without any lights at all.

jamesfts
    Free Member

However I’d rather both grannies and driving Gods had obligatory eye tests and a driving evaluation every five years. from the age of fifty.

This, regardless of age would do a lot of good for all involved and something I’d whole heartedly support.

Molgrips, the point wasn’t about narrow roads. There is ‘having a little trouble’ and then there is practically stopping on wide A roads for every oncoming vehicle.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Not sure what’s going to blow first:

my sanctimonometer or my bravadotron

Edit: Ooops wrong thread – ah f*ck it, still stands

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Whilst we’r on the subject of lights – would all those bikers who use the currently fashionable incredibly bright back red lights from Lezyne and the like, which make me blind for ten seconds after I’m forced to suffer them when being overtaken by the typical arrogant Strava-racing dickhead who uses this kind of anti-social self-centred inconsiderate appurtenance, kindly shove them up the nearest available orifice. Which happens to be…

flicker
    Free Member

After watching a friend ride through the local town armed with a cheap set of flashing lights I’ll continue riding with my solarstorm x2 (dipped down a smidge, I’m not a total git 😉 ) on the front and magicshine/smart lunar combo on the rear. He disappeared for several seconds at a time, completely swamped by car headlamps and I was looking for him, you’re totally screwed if you expect the average car driver to spot you.

In contrast another cyclist passed by shortly afterwards and I could have seen him from Mars, he had a portable sun on his handlebars.

….. and Mr Woppit, it is a race, you lost 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

The problem isn’t with brightness of the rear lights, it’s the fact that some of them are spots. Crap for wide angle visibility but at some point everyone behind gets blinded.

Far better to have a wide angle light.

Northwind

Yep, some very bright lights are really not that useful and can be annoying. I got a couple of those chili tech lights just recently, they’re not bright but they’re big and 360 degree visible so I reckon work really well along with some traditional lights for attention seeking. But then I have 5 different rear lights as well as retroreflectives on my rucksack so you could probably see me through a wall.

Viewing 31 posts - 121 through 151 (of 151 total)

The topic ‘Hostility on the roads’ is closed to new replies.