Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Hosepipe bans…
  • Flaperon

Erm… does a bike count as a private vehicle?

ruscle
    Free Member

Always ignore it anyway as not on a meter so they take the money from me each month regardless. Also a 3rd of their water outlay is on the leaks they never get round to fixing, So when their is a shortage they make us pay for it instead of fixing their system.

portlyone

I was at Derwent reservoir the other week, it was the fullest I’ve ever seen it.

Good northern water too.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

2010 Flood & water management act

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2010/29/section/36

(1)A water undertaker may prohibit one or more specified uses of water supplied by it if it thinks that it is experiencing, or may experience, a serious shortage of water for distribution. .
    (2)Only the following uses of water may be prohibited— .
    (a)watering a garden using a hosepipe; .
    (b)cleaning a private motor-vehicle using a hosepipe; .
    (c)watering plants on domestic or other non-commercial premises using a hosepipe; .
    (d)cleaning a private leisure boat using a hosepipe; .
    (e)filling or maintaining a domestic swimming or paddling pool; .
    (f)drawing water, using a hosepipe, for domestic recreational use; .
    (g)filling or maintaining a domestic pond using a hosepipe; .
    (h)filling or maintaining an ornamental fountain; .
    (i)cleaning walls, or windows, of domestic premises using a hosepipe; .
    (j)cleaning paths or patios using a hosepipe; .
    (k)cleaning other artificial outdoor surfaces using a hosepipe. .

Also worthy of note- the 2010 Statutory instrument:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2010/2231/article/5/made

Cleaning a private motor-vehicle using a hosepipe

5. In section 76(2)(b) of the Act, “private motor-vehicle” means—
    (a)a mechanically propelled vehicle designed, constructed or adapted for use on roads, except— .
    (i)a public service vehicle, as defined in section 1 of the Public Passenger Vehicles Act 1981(5), and .
    (ii)a goods vehicle, as defined in section 192 of the Road Traffic Act 1988(6); or .
    (b)a trailer designed, constructed or adapted for attachment to a vehicle falling within paragraph (a).

And, before anyone tries to argue – the definition of Mechanically propelled vehicle is clearly leaid down here:

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/p_to_r/road_traffic_offences/#definition

So, to be absolutley clear – you CAN legally was your bicycle with a hosepipe during the hosepipe ban!

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

So, to be absolutley clear – you CAN legally was your bicycle with a hosepipe during the hosepipe ban!

What if you were to strategically move your bike around the garden whilst washing it?

ransos
    Free Member

Always ignore it anyway as not on a meter so they take the money from me each month regardless. Also a 3rd of their water outlay is on the leaks they never get round to fixing, So when their is a shortage they make us pay for it instead of fixing their system.

How very public-spirited of you.

Junkyard
    Free Member

aye thats the spirit ruscle not like a clean supply of water is important yso ou piss it down the sink in a wastefull manner
    If that dont teach them to fix leaks then frnakly what will

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Do what any bike lover would do and take it in the bath.

devs
    Free Member

(f)drawing water, using a hosepipe, for domestic recreational use;

kind of includes washing bikes I reckon.

rossi46
    Free Member

I cant use a hosepipe anyway- i have no garden in my first floor flat! I’ll do what i always do and use my portable pump up car wash thingy from Halfords which along with a bottle of imitatation Muc Off from the pound shop (works really well actually) and some rags/ sturdy brushes gets stashed in the back of the car until i get back from my muddy ride. Then i wash my bike in the street and get it all dried off before the wife starts moaning!
    My local rivers which are tributaries of the Thames are all looking a bit low at the moment- so personally i agree with the hosepipe ban 😆

bol

As long as there isn’t a jet wash ban…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

filling a bucket up with water to clean your bike is very probably going to use a lot more water and be less effective than scrubbing some degreaser on your chain and then spraying it off with an atomising type spray, which is nearly all you are really going to need whilst it is dry.

Otherwise get one of those water spraying bottles, like you can get from garden centres, like this:

ruscle
    Free Member

Junkyard – Member
    aye thats the spirit ruscle not like a clean supply of water is important yso ou piss it down the sink in a wastefull manner
    If that dont teach them to fix leaks then frnakly what will

Surely as long as I don’t use a hose pipe to piss it down the sink then its ok and not wasteful 😉
    Also I don’t consider any water I use to be a waste.

How very public-spirited of you.

I ride to work, recycle and clean up my dogs crap, so I consider myself very public spirited. I pay more for my water than people on a meter as the inlet pipe is shared with the next door neighbour, so I can’t have a meter installed. If the water company would consider reducing my fee’s when a hose pipe ban is on then I would comply. Would you pay for all your groceries at Tesco (other shops can be used) for them to turn round and take 2 bag full’s back, because their lorries had broken down due to poor maintenance leaving them short on deliveries so they were low on stock!

binners

The whole concept of a hosepipe ban is inconceivable to anyone who lives in the North West of England. Its felt like the first dry weekend we’ve had an about 6 months!

stumpyjon

Surely if there’s a hosepipe ban there’s not need to wash your bike? Maybe wipe the dust off from time time.

Up here in the sunny North West we don’t have a shortage of water, or unfortunately muddy trails.

Junkyard
    Free Member

the real issue then is how much more are you willing to pay to fix every leak – Unfortunately the infrastructure is rather difficult to access and the leaks are largely under our cities…still we could just rip it all out and start again

Being an arse back is hardly reasonable 😉

Did no one teach you that two wrongs dont make a right

Its felt like the first dry weekend we’ve had an about 6 months!

When ?It rained this weekend

jota180
    Free Member

devs – Member

Now I’d take the term ‘drawing water’ to mean by some sort of syphoning or pumping from a source, rather than connected to the mains supply

joao3v16
    Free Member

Riding my bike is recreational use, washing it is very much the opposite …

joao3v16
    Free Member

If the water company would consider reducing my fee’s when a hose pipe ban is on then I would comply.

I suppose technically, you’re paying for the supply of water.

During a hosepipe ban they’re still supplying it, they’re just telling you not to use it.

Using your example, it’s more like Tesco delivering your food then asking you not to eat some of it.

br
    Free Member

I had this discussion with a neighbour last time we had a water ‘restriction.

In the Thames Water the restriction was ‘private motor vehicles’; therefore company cars/vans could be washed using a hose pipe, bicycles and (interestingly from a H&S POV) motor cycles.

And my contract with Thames Water is they supply, and I use/pay – not really my problem if they haven’t built their infrastructure to provide/safe enough (cheap) water – bring tankers in?

binners

It did rain fella. Just a lot less than usual. Everything’s relative.

I had a lovely local run out on the bike on Saturday. Some of the trails are drying out nicely. Though its still pretty boggy up on’t moors

Junkyard
    Free Member

aye it was muuddy as hell our way

ransos
    Free Member

I ride to work, recycle and clean up my dogs crap, so I consider myself very public spirited. I pay more for my water than people on a meter as the inlet pipe is shared with the next door neighbour, so I can’t have a meter installed. If the water company would consider reducing my fee’s when a hose pipe ban is on then I would comply. Would you pay for all your groceries at Tesco (other shops can be used) for them to turn round and take 2 bag full’s back, because their lorries had broken down due to poor maintenance leaving them short on deliveries so they were low on stock!

Oh poor you. My last house had a shared supply too. I installed a water butt, but I suppose that’s because I’m prepared to do something that doesn’t line my pocket.

I suggest you wander over to the first world problems thread.

damo2576
    Free Member

can you still use sprinklers to water the lawn?

hora
    Free Member

Wierd. My water bill is going up but they want people to use water less to help them?

Junkyard
    Free Member

help them?
    Would having no water not hinder you?

hora
    Free Member

Well my annual backyard wet tshirt competition would have to be cancelled.

yossarian
    Free Member

you all wash your bikes?

weird

xiphon
    Free Member

Having worked for a company which deals with water supplies to reduce their leakage – it’s a staggering amount – but they do get fined for it… and guess who has to pay their fine?

rob2
    Free Member

Jesus you should see how much the electricity industry losses in losses and gas. I dont see anyone leaving their lights on or the hob on in protest.

Given its pretty much the driest ever conditions on record I’ dont think it’s unreasonable. Plus your level of service with the water company has hosepipe bans every so often do its not like tesco at all as they are doing exactly what you have paid for.

Given water bills are about 1/3 of your gas or electric just I’d say it’s good value but ignoring temporary use measures is a sure fire way to see large bills every year. (the industry is cash negative so the profit argument doesn’t really act as a break)

My social responsibility 2p 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

Well my annual backyard wet tshirt competition would have to be cancelled.

just post up some topless pics and we will decide if it is you or binners with the biggest moobs??

Ps Nice retort 😀

aracer
    Free Member

Would you pay for all your groceries at Tesco (other shops can be used) for them to turn round and take 2 bag full’s back, because their lorries had broken down due to poor maintenance leaving them short on deliveries so they were low on stock!

What a brilliant analogy. Water supply is just like buying your shopping at Tesco.

Actually if you like the Tesco model so much, why don’t you just go and buy your water there rather than helping use up the limited supplies that you share with all the other ordinary people out there, some of whom aren’t quite as selfish as you?

trout
    Free Member

The water Bastids are even threatening us soggy tykes in Yorkshire with hosepipe bans and every where up here is sopping wet
    not seen dry dusty trails for years

we need some of those wind turbines to switch to blow and send the rain darn sarf.

Northwind

devs – Member

Well whatever turns you on, but I don’t recreationally wash bikes!

marcusmtb
    Free Member

I mainly just fill a watering can from a large garden water butt collecting rain water nowadays.

mattjg
    Free Member

Dry trails for a hosepipe ban?

Deal.

br
    Free Member

Given its pretty much the driest ever conditions on record I’ dont think it’s unreasonable.

I do, if in the 19th Century managed to supply water from the Elan Valley to Birmingham via a 118km aquaduct that dropped all of 52m – I’m sure its not beyond the wit of man to shift water from the north to the south of the UK.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elan_Valley_Reservoirs

And model:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Elan_Valley_mac_model.jpg

The Chinese are having a go:

http://www.peopleandplanet.net/?lid=29728&section=38&topic=27

And surely we could route it alongside the HS2, at least that way the NIMBY’s would see a point to it?

JohnClimber
    Free Member

OT topic slightly.

You CAN use a hose pipe in a hose pipe ban to fill up a water butt, so that you can use watering cans to water all of your garden all day long if you can be bothered.

But you can also buy a water butt pump http://www.hozelock.com/watering/garden-pumps/water-butt-pump.html to connect to a hose to to water your garden.

Aldi were doing large water butts for under £30 last week and still have stocks.
    So, run your household hosepipe into your water butt and pump out to water your garden, your car and your bikes at the same time as it’s filling up, no law is broken.

rob2
    Free Member

B r – thats a bum argment really as you can shift water anywhere you like. Depends how much you want to pay.

Sticking a pipe under hs2 is an option for sure and transfers from Wales are a common option but there are cheaper, better options out there to date. They are in company water resource plans.

jota180
    Free Member

But you can also buy a water butt pump http://www.hozelock.com/watering/garden-pumps/water-butt-pump.html to connect to a hose to to water your garden.

I reckon that would fall foul of the regs too

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Hosepipe bans…’ is closed to new replies.