Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Horse gun recommendations?
  • cloudnine
    Free Member

Hi

Integral to riding the horse is of course shooting the stead. So of course hose is important.

After most of the plastic ones split and broke (frost and poor handling) I bought a metal one, except the connector was plastic and has now split again…

Anyone got any recommendations/links for one that is good for shooting the horse and might actually last??

palmer77
    Free Member

bikebouy
    Free Member

Que?

Do you mean Hose Gun ?

onandon
    Free Member

fadda

I think sir has had enough…

onlysteel
    Free Member

😆

burgatedicky

I’d recommend a good .243, not had one get up afterwards yet!

twicewithchips
    Free Member

I think a brush attachment is probably a better bet.
    hoss brush
    hmm, curried…

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’m not really into gore, but I’ve always fancied firing a recoiless rifle, that would certainly do it.

A sturdy Axe might be a cost effective alternative.

crosshair
    Free Member

I’d rather use a 12-bore. At close range, you get one huge projectile that dumps all its energy inside the skull.
    I saw an escaped Bull stand there and take 3 x 22.250 bullets to the head until it went down. The policeman was a bit worried it was going to rampage off with its brains coming out!!

Done 30+ pigs myself but never a horse…….

Incidentally- my friend has an entirely legally held .38 caliber Smith and Wesson revolver (restricted to two shots) for stock destruction.

Or Hozelock and keep it out of the frost depending on your question 😀

porter_jamie

Bolt gun is safest if it’s not thrashing about.
    Last hose lock gun thing I got was a random purchase from b and q. Still going strong 8 years or so later ans it gets used daily in winter to de digustify the dog and or bikes

Onzadog
    Free Member

Some sort of Colt?

bear-uk
    Free Member

Its too big for my .22 Lr. 😯

vongassit
    Free Member

[/url]img host[/img]

lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

Some sort of Colt?

Nice.

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

.32 calibre side venting pistol with hollow tip ammo (joys of horse vetting

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

My standard answer for this type of question, is 50 grams of bb shot.

lazybike
    Free Member

I wouldn’t want to shoot a horse in the head with a shotgun…but each to their own…

crosshair
    Free Member

Lazybike- at <1m or even double that to be honest, you only have one solid projectile. The shot is still in its wad.

When shooting pigs for the farmer, you get one small hole the diameter of the cartridge and an awful lot of ft/lb of energy dumped exactly where you need it.

The problem with high powered rifles is that most sporting ammo is designed to be effective on light skinned targets at +/- 100y. Not penetrate skull at close to point blank range.

To be fair, getting the angle right on a horse is harder with a shotgun than with a pistol or captive bolt gun but that doesn’t mean it won’t do a very good job….

lazybike
    Free Member

I agree about the rifles…but with a rifle I’d go heart and lungs rather than head..for up close it would have to be a pistol.

Stoner
    Free Member

Amateur. Pros use knives.

Speshpaul

Stoner, you amateur! we use staplers around here.

crosshair
    Free Member

H+L is pretty risky for dispatch unless they are totally contained though!
    I dread to think how far one could get before it’s body shut down!!!!

Most of the stuff I’ve done for farmers have been with broken legs or similar debilitating injuries so very straight forward.

Imaginary line between each eye and each opposite ear then shoot perpendicular to the skull.

I have seen a .22lr used but it seems far riskier (if quieter) than the shotgun.

I happened across a fresh RTA with a Roe Deer one night whilst heading out lamping with the .243. A couple of dapper chaps in an A class Merc were stopped with their hazards on so I jumped out for a look. They were a bit shell shocked and said they weren’t really sure who to call- it had been hit by a truck in front of them and they didn’t know what to do.
    (Now this isn’t best practice blah blah blah but the deer was stood on our land, adjacent to the verge with a safe backstop and I hate suffering)
    Without another word about who I was, I said ‘don’t worry, give me a sec!’ and nipped back to the truck.
    I pulled the truck around them and appeared in their headlights, stuck the gun out of the window, loaded a round, aimed down the side of the barrel and shot the deer in head! I loaded the still twitching body up as they both stood there, jaws open. I smiled sympathetically and said ‘poor old girl- all sorted!’ and drove off!!
    It was only when I then started to think about what had just happened that I realised how crazy it must have seemed to them 😀
    I rung it through to the regular 101operator just to make sure the police were aware but never heard any more of it 😀

Sorry- wife has gone to bed and there’s nothing on TV. Hoses you say??

DiscJockey
    Free Member

I’m with vongassit on this one…like certain bikes, horses can also adopt stealth mode. So can Predator come to think of it.

Anyway, I think Cloudnine just needs to buy a decent Hoselok connector kit and replace all existing parts.

jonnyboi

You can do some damage with a short length of tough hose.

Fun times

thestabiliser
    Free Member

I use a Glock on my ho’s. Blaw blaw.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Done 30+ pigs myself

David, is that you?

Poopscoop

Walks into thread….
    Dips toes…

Walks back out again. 😉

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

.75 recoiless or an SD pistol with No.4 cartridge.

drofluf
    Free Member

Dust off and nuke the site from orbit.

It’s the only way to be sure.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Horse gun recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.