Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Horse Cheese
  • wombat

I know that milk made from cows’, goats’ and sheeps’ milk is fairly widely available but would it be possible to make cheese put of horse, seal or dog (or any other mammals’) milk (assuming one had a source of the raw ingredients)?

jonba
    Free Member

You can’t, it is something to do with the fat/protien composition.

You can ferment it though to make an “interesting” alcoholic drink, Airag.

plyphon
    Free Member

Yeah, theres a reason why “Horse Cheese” isn’t something you see on the shelf.

Nico
    Free Member
    gonefishin
    Free Member

They make it in Central Asia. It does not have much to recommend it, save that it’s nicer than the fermented horse milk drink.

RustySpanner

Nicer than dog toffee.

ninfan
    Free Member

Thought this was going to be about cleaning sheaths and “beans”

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Smegma and a bean = nasty gelding cheese

RobHilton
    Free Member

See also: Donkey Rhubarb

alpin
    Free Member

Smegma and a bean = nasty gelding cheese

Kopfkino….

Gag!

Cheese is just mouldy milk… Can’t stand the stuff personally, but can’t see much difference between cow cheese or horse cheese.

Years ago I worked on a goat farm. The boats were pregnant and we had to get them ready for when the kids arrived. This meant putting them in the stall and trying to milk them. Squeezing the teat to clear it from the old milk… Got kicked a couple of times as I was squeezing so hard. Imagine a really old blackhead that keeps on giving. Only with cheese.
    I couldn’t do it…. Made me gag.

matt_outandabout

Marscapone?

Drac

You can milk anything with teats.

jonba
    Free Member

You can milk anything with teats.

you can but that doesn’t mean you can make cheese. Travelling around Mongolia I managed cow, goat, sheep, horse, yak and reindeer. All unpasteurised naturally and in most cases still warm.

They can actually distil the fermented horse milk and produce arkhi. It is unique since it takes all the worst bits of the flavour (cheesy, horsey, milky) and combine them with a alcohol as rough as paint stripper with a chance of making you blind.

Drac

Can you milk me Gregg?

ulysse
    Free Member

I’m speechless, Drac.
    And mildly shocked

shermer75
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXI21S4ZWJU[/video]

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Horse Cheese’ is closed to new replies.