Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • horrid jobs for the weather?
  • smudger590
    Free Member

Hey bit of a rant.

I have a chippy that I work in and think it must be one of the worst places to work in this heat. Hoping you guys have some other jobs to make me stop feeling sorry for myself here.

Please no comments about beer gardens etc.

Cheers

binners

smudger – take pride in the fact that what you’re doing is providing a valuable public service, for which a grateful nation is eternally in your debt!

Salt and vinegar? 😀

Talking of salt, I once worked in a salt works that basically consisted of 3 absolutely ****ing enormous kettles full of super-heated steam. That wasn’t much fun in summer either

mikewsmith
    Free Member

wearing plastic suits and respirators working inside the warm bits of some serious chemical plants, wool fireproof suits in the rafters of a steel works lugging 30kg kit round.

Not the worst but some of mine

ir_bandito
    Free Member

One summer agency job I had a student was in a forge in Leeds. Wearing full protective clothing, manhandling freshly-cast engine blocks. Not pleasant at all…

unklehomered
    Free Member

I’ve got a massive heap of stuff in the garden needs burning, don’t want to do it in the heat, but it will be easier to do before it rains… 😕

gusamc
    Free Member

try moving house and then investigating what needs to be done to board the loft

ps – cod and chips pls

Matt_SS_xc

being a pe teacher is pretty tough…
    actually thats a lie, its immense, makes up for the wet cold months, of which there are usually many!

maxtorque

Welding! not good in 30 degC heat

stumpy01

Portaloo cleaner outerer would be pretty grim, I imagine.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Bobbing for chips is dreadful in this weather 😀

I suspect selling drinks on Brighton beach is bloody ace.

verses

Once had a summer job in the warehouse of a pickle factory.

Pushing pallet loads of pickled eggs/onions/sauces around in a hot warehouse wasn’t much fun. I spent the whole summer stinking of vinegar…

Last weekend I stupidly decided to cut down a Leylandii hedge and then dig out the 12″ diameter trunks…

geoffj

Spent a couple of hours salvaging some firewood from the side of the road. My chainsaw trousers are warmer than my snowboard pants. Add helmet and ear tectors and I must have lost about a stone in weight.

🙁

wrightyson
    Free Member

Insulating any loft! If I ever have to do it it’s done when it’s cold!
    Even buildertrack world in general can be a little tedious when it’s this hot.
    Just saying how the last 1hr or so from 3pm seems to be by far the hottest part of the day at the moment.

Edric64
    Free Member

I used to work in a babyfood factory cooking up a about 10 tonnes of that got hot under a glass roof .Used to see it get to about 112f

takisawa2

What are you all on about…
    Its been a balmy 21c in my office all summer.
    I’ve had to slip my cardy on this afternoon.

Is it warm out then ? 🙂

plop_pants
    Free Member

I used to be a Dag Treader. I’ll stop there as I might put myself back into therapy.

totalshell

replacing urinals in a school where the kids need some target practice..and the cleaners need more dettol..

totalshell

replacing urinals in a school where the kids need some target practice..and the cleaners need more dettol..

project
    Free Member

I used to work in a steelworks, very hot every day, and hotter during the summer, steel roof and huge ingots of steel at 1200 degree coming out of the furnaces.

Today fitting a front door, in direct sunshine,120 on the thermometer and 90 in the shade, killing headache, 5 bottles of water and now the shakes/craps as heat stroke sets in.

paladin

In the northern north sea, on a platform supply boat, in thick fog, reading about how hot the weather is at home…….and I’ve just turned the heating up.

ptrockymountain
    Free Member

Up on a roof laying blue slates that are so hot ya cant touch em absolute bedlam

bruneep

wildfire firefighting

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Mig robot welding .. Face the industrial fan for 30min on myself where its supposed to face the robot electronics (actually robot and me took turns every 30min) .. 7hours later robot dead with system display “over temperature” and need to be turn off and cool down 😆

Drac

Can’t say as I’d get sacked.

mogrim

Done the working in a restaurant kitchen in a heatwave thing, too – certainly a lot tougher than my air conditioned office and comfy chair!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Trying to get a grumpy snotty baby to sleep. Horrid job in this heat.

banks
    Free Member

Loved working in the kitchen in the heat/busy days, proper mad rush.

+1 can’t say as I’d get sacked

seavers
    Free Member

What about this job…..Did a shoot with the Bolton fire service today and this was one of the candid shots. These guys were training hard in a lot of warm kit! During the shoot they also had to go out on a call in full kit which had to be pretty hard.

Drac

Nah too easy a job seavers. If you have time to pose for calendar whilst on duty then you’re not working.

footflaps

seavers – nice shot!

seavers
    Free Member

Ha ha….not a sexy calender 😛 Way too many blokes there and only one female fire fighter!

Cheers footflaps 🙂

maccruiskeen

Portaloo cleaner outerer would be pretty grim, I imagine.

Beyond grim- a suicide mission. Chemi-khazi.

spooky_b329

Working in a telephone exchange can be pretty grim…cabling when its 35 degrees at floor level and lots higher up above the equipment racks. Air conditioning is rare, forced air is the normal cooling method, and sometimes they just don’t bother. All windows usually sealed and barred. The uniform of cheap trousers and stinky polyester polo tops doesn’t help.

I’d much rather be out in the snow and ice with split sore hands, with the wind going straight through three layers of fleece, jacket and coat!

stumpyjon

Tannery, try working in a tannery in the heat, the stench of decaying cow skin mixed with super heated cow poop.

ski
    Free Member

I am a parkie,

This week someone thought it would be a good idea to place some new bins in the park I work in!

So lucky me, I have been digging the foundations for the bins by hand, well with a spade, 2×6.

I had sweat pouring off my head like I had a tap switched on above it.

But loving every second at the moment, best job I have ever had so far!

munrobiker
    Free Member

I work for a drilling company- our drillers are working with no shade in overalls that’re the thickness of roads with a diesel engine blasting hot air at them while they lift 3m steel roads all day.

One collapsed yesterday 😯

bruneep

Drac – Moderator
    Nah too easy a job seavers. If you have time to pose for calendar whilst on duty then you’re not working

I make no apologies for being good looking and sitting about on my arse all day enjoying ice creams 😉

The government have limited my enthusiasm to about 1% for the next 3yrs

tang
    Free Member

I worked a summer like this on the bins. 10 hr shift running behind a lorry lifting stinking bags(20t in a day) by hand that spray their contents all over you and are all covered in dog/cat piss. Knackered and stinking like the stinkiest stinker. Jobs a job, but I was glad that was a stop gap only for 3 months!

kimbers

prostitute gotta be the worst job

and when your clients are extra hot and sweaty…..

johndoh
    Free Member

I used to work in a chippy – on long hot and busy bank holidays frying in five pans consecutively I often shotgunned tins of Lilt.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘horrid jobs for the weather?’ is closed to new replies.