Viewing 28 posts - 81 through 108 (of 108 total)
  • Arrrrghhh freedom of speech in the UK….. (boiling wee content)
  • TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Most of the councillors are 80+ yr old. Rugby players, Masons, Police.

you got to respect an 80+ yr old that still plays Rugby though, must be pretty tough up there

konabunny
    Free Member

TuckerUK: you are completely wrong. Human Rights Act since 1998, and an intricate web of administrative law and constitutional principles and practice before then. Your point is the same one that smartarses make when people start to discuss constitutions and the UK.

aracer
    Free Member

Round the corner, to the right in front of the taxi, is now a paved area with benches and flower beds

Like this you mean? http://goo.gl/maps/WhWNo

If you zoom out, you’ll see a van parked a little further back from where the taxi was.

the junction no longer exists. The High St is now a one way system going down the street towards the rugby club.

Except in this Streetview the junction does exist, along with the give way markings for it which can quite clearly be seen in the original photo with the taxi. Oh, and the High Street is already one way. If the junction no longer exists, how come the give way markings are still painted on the road? Or of course there’s always this overhead satellite shot from 2013 which also shows the junction http://goo.gl/maps/5v4dI – it’s been redone very recently I presume?

Do you want to carry on?

franksinatra

Most of the councillors are 80+ yr old.

You are wrong

No 80 year olds here

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Some of those councillors on that list look well dodgy. Any of them masons ?

jodafett

You are wrong

Apologies. I didn’t realise Riddle Dumble, Bill Lamb et al had been replaced by such spring chickens. At least these new guys are only recently retired!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I bet Willie plays scrum half…

nealglover
    Free Member

Whatever the rules say is legitimate?
    Let me turn that question around for you: do you think it should be a state requirement that one respects the police in order to run a private business?

You can “turn it round” as many times as you like.

If he breached what the rules currently allow, then his license doesn’t get renewed.

And to repeat myself again, you have no idea what he said, or about who, you don’t know what the rules say either.

So come back when you have all the relevant information and ask me the same question ?
    Maybe it will be clearer then what’s happened.

Until then you/we are just guessing, and I can’t really see the point in that to be honest.

trambler

Should have been out riding his bike not wasting his time on arsebook, anyhow he got off lightly, I’ve heard of people being burn’t inside a wicker man for less in that part of the world……….

D0NK

Until then you/we are just guessing, and I can’t really see the point in that to be honest.

but ranting about pure conjecture is the stw way Neal

nealglover
    Free Member

That’s true.

Carry on 😉

MrWoppit
    Free Member

All this “watch what you say on Facebook” stuff. You CAN restrict access to your Facebook page to people that you actually know, or am I missing something?

konabunny
    Free Member

So come back when you have all the relevant information and ask me the same question ?
    Maybe it will be clearer then what’s happened.

I’m not asking questions that require an intimidate knowledge of Borders Taxi licensing law and practice. They’re questions of logic and political morality respectively.

Let me turn that question around for you: do you think it should be a state requirement that one respects the police in order to run a private business?

aracer
    Free Member

What you’re missing is that he posted a comment on somebody else’s post, so had no control over the privacy.

poly
    Free Member

All this “watch what you say on Facebook” stuff. You CAN restrict access to your Facebook page to people that you actually know, or am I missing something?

It wasn’t his own facebook page. He commented on a picture posted on the local newspaper’s page. You might consider it a bit like writing a letter to the editor!

nealglover
    Free Member

I’m not asking questions that require an intimidate knowledge of Borders Taxi licensing law and practice. They’re questions of logic and political morality respectively.

Sorry. I was talking about a Borders Region Taxi Driver who Had his license renewal refused.

I didn’t realise the conversation had moved away from that topic.

taxi25
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/policeman-suing-car-owner

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/uk-getting-more-like-usa-every-day

I think the days of having to respect the police are long gone. I respect some individual officers tremendously, but not the institution as a whole.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I respect some individual officers tremendously, but not the institution as a whole.

Both those links you have posted refer to stories in which police officers as individuals have taken legal action, not the institution as a whole.

taxi25
    Free Member

Both those links you have posted refer to stories in which police officers as individuals have taken legal action, not the institution as a whole.

Thats correct, but as these officers are part of the whole its why I no longer respect the institution as a whole. Just those officers ( the large majority ) who don’t IMO drag their proffesion into the gutter.

Northwind

That seems backward- if the large majority of officers are deserving of respect then why not respect the institution that they’re part of? And disrespect the minority that you feel are not worthy of it.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Fair enough. Although in my opinion, as an institution, the British police service today is probably the best it has ever been at anytime throughout its history. The police in Britain today is definitely not as corrupt, or guilty of perverting to course of justice, as it was in the 60s and 70s. It’s also much less racist and more sensitive to hate crimes such homophobic ones. And where before domestic violence was often dismissed as a domestic issue which did not warrant their involvement, it is now treated extremely seriously. I don’t know why you seem to think that things have become worse rather than better.

mogrim

Exactly – unless he’s suggesting you should head out and beat up a copper, his opinion on the police should have no bearing on his taxi licence.

aracer
    Free Member

Here’s why I don’t respect the nursing profession
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beverley_Allitt

here’s why I don’t respect the teaching profession
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-16725849

and here’s why I don’t respect anybody who rides a bicycle
    http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/latest-news/top-stories/central-leeds-woman-s-phone-stolen-by-cyclist-robber-1-5026029

proteus
    Free Member

and here’s why we should all be afraid of taxi drivers…

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-21940386

konabunny
    Free Member

Sorry. I was talking about a Borders Region Taxi Driver who Had his license renewal refused.
    I didn’t realise the conversation had moved away from that topic.

No, no, it’s the same topic, don’t worry, Neal. The questions just don’t require an intimate knowledge of Borders taxi licensing law, that’s all.

Neal: imagine you’re in a room which is empty apart from a cardboard box on the floor. It isn’t labelled but is clean. What is your reaction?

wrecker
    Free Member

Neal: imagine you’re in a room which is empty apart from a cardboard box on the floor. It isn’t labelled but is clean. What is your reaction?

WHAT’S THE BOX DOING THERE????
    KILL IT!!!
    KILL THE EVIL **** BOX QUICK!!

Kevevs
    Free Member

the OP is the taxi driver in question?

paulwilsonmtb
    Free Member

So a taxi driver was refused a licence for being opinionated?

If they applied the same principle n London, there’d be no taxis on the roads at all.

Viewing 28 posts - 81 through 108 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘Arrrrghhh freedom of speech in the UK….. (boiling wee content)’ is closed to new replies.