Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 108 total)
  • Arrrrghhh freedom of speech in the UK….. (boiling wee content)
  • nealglover
    Free Member

but I say with some certainty that voicing a personal opinion (no matter how stupid) shouldn’t deny him the right to earn a living in his chosen field.

Well judging by the fact that the appeal was turned down, it would seem that whatever he said meant he was not seen as suitable to be licensed as a Taxi driver according to the codes of conduct laid down by whoever is in charge of Taxi Driver Licensing ?

user-removed
    Free Member

There’s a missing piece in the puzzle, to be sure. I’m going on blind faith and a trusting nature – you should try it some time 🙂

nealglover
    Free Member

There’s a missing piece in the puzzle, to be sure. I’m going on blind faith and a trusting nature – you should try it some time

As I’ve already said a few times, nobody can make a judgement based on the information available.

I certainly haven’t.

tomhoward

Couple of things from me.

Do we know why the police car was there? As iirc if they were attending an incident then parking laws don’t apply?
    Is it a supermarket car park? Owned by the supermarket? Do parking laws apply if it is?
    Him being singled out, nope, it’s just he’s the only one who’s commented, and now needs to renew his taxi license.
    Is it not different to it being an opinion down the pub because he has put his statement in print? And not stated that its just his opinion?

Seems to me like a cleverdick has been exposed for being just that.

scuzz
    Free Member

Seems to me like a cleverdick has been exposed for being just that.

What’s wrong with being a cleverdick?

tomhoward

Nothing, just don’t whinge when you are pulled up on it! Or don’t try to be one if it could land you in a whole world of the proverbial.

user-removed
    Free Member

It’s all been said TH – the police car likely DID have a legitimate reason for being there. The taxi driver made an ill advised comment about it. He also wasn’t the only one to comment – his was 87th out of 90 comments (IIRC, can’t be arsed going back to look).

The point is, that if we accept the (scant) available evidence, combined with the local knowledge in this thread, the taxi driver has been treated
    unfairly, and probably unlawfully.

Weird. I hate taxi drivers usually.

aracer
    Free Member

From our local paper, rather than in Melrose, but I thought it might be of relevance…

http://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/10199522.Worcester_police_defend_use_of_disabled_parking_space/

tomhoward

Aracer, tbh that’s what I thought this was about! Edit, it isn’t, the cops somewhere had to defend themselves from folk questioning a cop car parked in a disabled space at a McDonald’s. they were there attending an incident. 3 incidents of folk jump to the same conclusion in a week? Coincidence?

Seems very petty too. Kicking up such a stink over parking, ESP when it’s cops, who can do pretty much what they like on the roads (I have no problem with this at all, let them do what they need to do)

It is kind of harsh what happened to he cabbie I guess but in the same breath, one would do well not to bite the hand that feeds.

user-removed
    Free Member

TH – at the risk of repeating myself… We have agreed that the cop car most likely had a good reason to be there. We have also agreed (I think) that the cabbie’s comment was, at best, ill-advised. this is NOT a police bashing thread. Rather, it is concerned with the misuse of power by the local crony-ist council to deprive one man of his livelihood.

We don’t have the whole story, and I strongly suspect someone had an axe to grind. But this is purely about transparency and fairness, neither of which appear to be in evidence here.

nealglover
    Free Member

But this is purely about transparency and fairness, neither of which appear to be in evidence here

Agreed, we don’t know what the Taxi Driver actually said.

And we don’t know if the comments were the full reason for license not being renewed.

user-removed
    Free Member

nealglover = the new TJ 🙁

Unfair I know – as someone said earlier, “Argue the point, not the person”.

But I’m finding it hard not to compare the two of you.

EDIT, Well, it’s either you or me, and I’m pretty sure it’s not me.

cheez0
    Free Member

I agree with others,the reason for the refusal is in the blanked out part, the Facebook Comment is in a different section.

Seems fishy.

unblank and repost if nothing to hide

Pook

When reading this thread I’m imagining Officer Crabtree from Allo, Allo has written much of it. The spelling kind of makes sense then.

konabunny
    Free Member

As I’ve already said a few times, nobody can make a judgement based on the information available.
    I certainly haven’t.

Under what circumstances would being insufficiently respectful to the police be a legitimate reason for cancellation of a taxi licence?

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Are there published criteria for being allowed, and disqualified from, holding a Taxi License?

If so, surely he should only be refused if he is in breach of these rules.

rattrap
    Free Member

Surely given the fact that any decision by a public body such as the Taxi licensing committee/group has an appeals process that he can appeal against, or if all else fails apply for Judicial review of the decision stating infringement of his his article 10 right to Freedom of Expression, then we can rest assured that he will be able to follow that process, the world will be put to rights, and we can all sleep safely in our beds once again.

Huzzah!

nealglover
    Free Member

nealglover = the new TJ
    Unfair I know – as someone said earlier, “Argue the point, not the person”.
    But I’m finding it hard not to compare the two of you.
    EDIT, Well, it’s either you or me, and I’m pretty sure it’s not me.

I guess that was designed to be an insult.

Which is pretty weird considering I was agreeing with you 😐

Under what circumstances would being insufficiently respectful to the police be a legitimate reason for cancellation of a taxi licence?

If that’s the reason for it not being renewed, which hasn’t really been established properly yet, then it would be a legitimate reason only if it was in some sort of charter or guidelines I suppose.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

He should have his license removed for being unable to spell Freedom correctly. I take it he never watched that’ movie Highlander 🙄

nealglover
    Free Member

He should have his license removed for being unable to spell Freedom correctly. I take it he never watched that’ movie Highlander

He he….. Braveheart maybe ? 😉

hels
    Free Member

“You can take his licence, but you can never take his FREEDOME !”

teasel
    Free Member

we don’t know what the Taxi Driver actually said

Aww, c’mon…we all know what he said…

thegreatape
    Free Member

nealglover the new TJ? Not seeing it myself. All he seems to be saying is that you can’t reach an informed conclusion without all the information. Which is very logical. And not TJ’s style.

hoodie
    Free Member

Facebook is a very dangerous thing if u don’t use it with some thought. Thousands are being caught for benefit fraud for example just because they are silly enough to have public profiles and expose their true lifestyle circumstances to anyone who wants to look.

hels
    Free Member

I struggle with long sentences but yes you can say what you like in UK as long as it’s not racist or homophobic etc, however you can still be held responsible for what you say e.g. libel/slander laws.

Freedom of Speech doesn’t mean lack of consequences.

And as a Borders resident I suspect this guy has been a bampot for years, and if he is anything like some of the other “independent trader” types around here who get away with all kinds of stuff cos they know the funny handshakes, and the Police finally have something on him they can prove.

And be careful what you say on Facebook kiddies.

hels
    Free Member

Yes you can say what you like in UK as long as it’s not racist or homophobic etc, however you can still be held responsible for what you say e.g. libel/slander laws.

And as a Borders resident I suspect this guy has been a bampot for years, and if he is anything like some of the other “independent trader” types around here who get away with all kinds of stuff cos they know the funny handshakes, and the Police finally have something on him they can prove.

And be careful what you say on Facebook kiddies.

konabunny
    Free Member

It’s an odd conclusion that the guy that’s getting stitched up by the polis and the cooncil is the one that wields some sort of Masonic influence.

If that’s the reason for it not being renewed, which hasn’t really been established properly yet, then it would be a legitimate reason only if it was in some sort of charter or guidelines I suppose.

If we believe the letter is genuine, then we have identified that “lack of respect for the Police authority” was a, if not the sole, reason for the finding that the guy was not a fit and proper person to hold a taxi licence, and that a Facebook thread was a, if not the sole, element of that lack of respect about which Lothian and Borders Police complained.

Under what circumstances would it be legitimate for the police to complain about a “lack of respect for the Police authority” from a taxi driver? And under what circumstances would it be legitimate for the council to refuse to issue a licence for someone’s livelihood on the basis of that complaint?

nealglover
    Free Member

Under what circumstances would it be legitimate for the police to complain about a “lack of respect for the Police authority” from a taxi driver? And under what circumstances would it be legitimate for the council to refuse to issue a licence for someone’s livelihood on the basis of that complaint?

As I said above, whatever the Taxi Licensing rules and guidelines are would dictate that.

And none of us seem to know what those guidelines are do we ?

STATO
    Free Member

TooTall
    Free Member

So, from what I can see here:

a couple of people want us to be outraged because of part of one side of a story has been presented.
    None of us are aware of the license process, the rules applied or any other factors, or even the subsequent appeals process that he also failed.

Why on earth would any sane person think the residents of stw have enough information to say anything other than ‘tell me more’?

poly
    Free Member

So tell me … when did YOU last live in melrose then… i moved out this time last year… the google maps image is 2013, the photo of the taxi is as the OLD junction layout used to be… in 2012 when the one way system was still under public consultation.

Oh the ironing! A thread about “small town Borders incestuous politics” and you are only allowed to express a view if you actually live in the town! I’ve never lived in Melrose, but I do visit from time to time. The road markings in the Google Streetview and the taxi picture are consistent with how it was the last two times I visited (late 2012 and Jan 2013).

Bing arial photography shows the same road layout in May 2011.
    The google streetview is dated August 2010.

There might have been some rejigging in that time – but there has been a junction there for a long time.

jodafett

There might have been some rejigging in that time – but there has been a junction there for a long time.

Round the corner, to the right in front of the taxi, is now a paved area with benches and flower beds, the junction no longer exists. The High St is now a one way system going down the street towards the rugby club.

konabunny
    Free Member

whatever the Taxi Licensing rules and guidelines are would dictate that.

Whatever the rules say is legitimate?

Let me turn that question around for you: do you think it should be a state requirement that one respects the police in order to run a private business?

taxi25
    Free Member

Local councils rules regarding taxi licences are often archane and don’t take into account modern employment laws and human rights legislation. I can’t see how if this went to a proper court the refusal to renew his licence would be upheld.
    To give you an example, in Cardiff there used to be a rule that 2 children under 5 counted as 1 in a cab. My taxi is licenced for 4 passengers, so when I wouldn’t pick up a woman and her 5 children she complained. The pitchforks were out for me, untill the police confirmed that I could have been prosecuted if I had picked her up. The council backed down but they werern’t happy that the law got in the way of their rules.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Probably a bit late to point out now, but there is NO Freedom of Speech law in the UK. In the US yes, but not in the UK. Never has been to my knowledge.

I can only conclude your all watching to many Hollywood films!

Edit: Unless you become an MP and evoke Parliamentary Privilege

Northwind

hels – Member

Yup. Freedom of speech has not been restricted here, he’s perfectly free to say what he said.

Maybe I’m going blind but I’ve not seen the original facebook comment? If it was something like “****ing police are all a bunch of ****s, that’s why I never do what they say, the ****s, they’re always wrong. And ****s.” then they might have more of a point.

KennySenior
    Free Member

From his own facebook

In my comment I wasn’t at all flattering towards the police saying that I have no respect for the police that break there own rules and that they should be leading by example, I even went on to say that they are mere civil servants on a power trip.

(Don’t know if anyone cut and pasted it already)

Junkyard
    Free Member

well the consequences must surely have dispelled the power trip claim

he was foolish but what they have done is, IMHO, abuse of power

KennySenior
    Free Member

If his explanation of the situation is both entirely complete and entirely correct then I agree

franksinatra

If the police were responding to an emergency then there should be no problem with them being in a disabled space.

W don’t have the whole picture here, I suspect there is more to it than his side of the story.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘Arrrrghhh freedom of speech in the UK….. (boiling wee content)’ is closed to new replies.