Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)
  • Horizon: Sugar vs Fat (BBC2 9pm)
  • Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

What’s worse for us: sugar or fat?

To answer the hottest question in nutrition, twin doctors Chris and Xand Van Tulleken go on month long high-fat and high-sugar diets. The effects on their bodies are shocking and surprising.

But they also discover that in the debate about fat and sugar, the real enemy might have been hiding in plain sight.

back2basics
    Free Member

fat good sugar bad, saved watching it, im off for cream cake

BigJohn

I heard the guys in Radio 5 this afternoon and one said there’s no food in nature that has fat and sugar.

Coconut? Milk? (Lactose is a sugar) Those were 2 I thought within about half a second, so I decided it wasn’t worth watching.

iDiet FTW.

slowoldman

What’s the betting a balanced diet will prove to be best?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Watched it for about 5 mins and yup, that’s about it.

djglover
    Free Member

Oscar was right all along 🙄

Drac

Recording as wife has got 24Hrs Back at Work on.

heard the guys in Radio 5 this afternoon and one said there’s no food in nature that has fat and sugar.

Honey and errr Sugar.

Jamie
    Free Member

Eat Less Move More.

/Thread*

* 😀

maccruiskeen

I heard the guys in Radio 5 this afternoon and one said there’s no food in nature that has fat and sugar.

Coconut? Milk? (Lactose is a sugar) Those were 2 I thought within about half a second

…. or any animal made of meat (so only the edible animals) will have fat and glycogen in them

mikey74
    Free Member

If you watch the programme, they are referring to processed foods where the sugar:fat ratio is around 50:50 which, I bet, is hard to find in nature.

No surprises in the conclusion of the programme, though.

vickypea
    Free Member

You beat me to it mikey74!

mrblobby
    Free Member

It’s a specific 50/50 combination of fat and sugar they are on about.

Upshot is to avoid processed foods, doughnuts, cheesecake, etc.

Who’d have thought?!

seosamh77
    Free Member

interesting enough i though, basically eat what you like bar the 50:50 mix and exercise and you should do alright. Hardly revolutionary, but interesting all the same.

rone

I would’ve liked more info about saturated fat and whether it’s still considered the enemy with regards blocking your pipes.

There have been noises that sugar causes inflammation of the arteries and it’s this that’s the issue not the fat. Didn’t go there though.

Horizon’s mean well but never seem to deliver on the excitement of the topic. So in that respect no surprises.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

The program is too short to go into everything, and it is a pretty complex topic. There is a lot of really interesting research being done into dietary composition, and the role of sugars/fats at the moment.

The Eat Less, Move More brigade are oversimplifying too I think – my partner is eating around 1400kcal/day and goes to various classes/training sessions 5 days a week, plus running and is stalled with the weight loss. I eat a “traditional” healthy diet and do a pretty active outdoors job and am also stalled.

So we are willing to try something else – not as extreme as this – but probably a slightly higher fat/lower carb centered on low GI stuff, and see how we go!

timidwheeler

I thought the program was quite poor. The conclusion seemed to be that if we make really nice food, it’s really hard not to eat more of it.

mikey74
    Free Member

I thought the program was quite poor. The conclusion seemed to be that if we make really nice food, it’s really hard not to eat more of it.

For many, that is probably a deeper message than you give it credit for.

geoffj

Some scary implications for the 4 hour / iDave diet though re high fat diet and insulin maintenance.

soobalias
    Free Member

trans fats and highly refined sugars ftmfw.

mikey74
    Free Member

Some scary implications for the 4 hour / iDave diet though re high fat diet and insulin maintenance.

Very true. Hopefully it helps put to bed those diets that focus on eating one type of food over all others. A balanced diet really does appear to be the way to go.

rone

Isn’t a balanced diet exactly 50% fat & 50% carbs. 🙂

zilog6128

not really, because those diets AREN’T hi fat/lo carb. (In fact iDiet promotes lean meats & plenty of lo GI carbs). Some paleo diets are though, although AFAIK exercise (especially hi intensity) is supposed to help a lot with the body’s response to insulin. I don’t think the doctors on Horizon did much/any exercise? As was pointed out the study was too limited to draw any real conclusions.

samuri
    Free Member

watching it now but balanced diet will be the answer. Any idiot could tell you this (and I’m that idiot). People telling us calories matter have been ripping us off for years. I was saying this years ago on here. Did anyone listen? Nope.

Eating one type of thing all the time will cause problems. No shit.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I watched it, not surprised in the slightest that they chose two of the most annoying people on the planet to present it.

What was the content?

Oh yeah, the 50:50 ratio. 🙄

Cougar

I’ve not seen the programme yet, but I’ve read the thread. I have one question.

Vegetables?

samuri
    Free Member

one of them was allowed veg, the sugar guy.

mikey74
    Free Member

The guy on the fat only diet couldn’t eat any whereas the guy on the carbs diet could eat as much as he wanted.

slowoldman

Eating one type of thing all the time will cause problems. No shit.

That’s one possible outcome.

scotroutes

Especially chocolate.

samuri
    Free Member

They’re on exercise bikes now.Oh look, the sugar guy is out of steam, fat guy is going along quite happily. WHAT A SURPRISE!!!!!

samuri
    Free Member

I recognise that hill! I’ve only been up it once too.

igm

So no transfat (not found naturally I think) but both saturated and unsaturated are ok.
    Sugar ok.

But don’t eat sugar and fat 50:50 at the same time cause you’ll over eat.

And eating too much makes you fat. So cut out donuts and say thank you to your wife when she eats your chocolate- it’s her way of saying she likes you trim 8)

P.S. exercise is good for you

Fair summary?

zilog6128

The guy on the fat only diet couldn’t eat any whereas the guy on the carbs diet could eat as much as he wanted.

well that is just ridiculous. Even the hi-fat/lo-carb paleo diets involve eating LOADS of veg. Sounds like these blokes just decided to eat 2 equally unhealthy restrictive diets, for no real reason.

trickydisco
    Free Member

I missed this.. Although I know everyone in the office is going to be banging on about it to me tomorrow

I noticed idave ranting about it on twitter calling some team sky guy an idiot for not realising you can turn fat into sugar

AdamW
    Free Member

You still at the top then Samuri?

Jamie
    Free Member

You still at the top then Samuri?

Wahey!

samuri
    Free Member

Did you see me stood there as they passed?
    I’ve been hunting hedgehogs for 2 years. Spikey bastards. Good diet though.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Didn’t I hear the Swedish government is the first western government to recommend a high fat/ low carb diet

andytherocketeer

As was pointed out the study was too limited to draw any real conclusions.

It was for TV, therefore more journalism, rather than a “study”.
    Same with the 5:2 “fasting” thing a year or so back.
    Same with the exercise like heck for 10 minutes until you collapse programme too.
    They know the “conclusion” before they start, but make the programme in a way that makes it looks like it’s trying to find something out, and use people with a Dr. prenominal to portray a level of authority.

60mins dedicated to say… too much ice cream is bad for you, and many “diets” / “fads” probably are too.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

To be fair I don’t think the programme was aimed at people like us, people that already get the thing about exercise and a healthy balanced diet – even if we don’t stick to it all the time. But there would have been plenty of Dorito scoffing blobs sat on their sofas with plates of cheesecake and donuts lined up for pudding to whom (who?) this programme just might have been a revelation!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Horizon: Sugar vs Fat (BBC2 9pm)’ is closed to new replies.