• This topic has 279 replies, 94 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 280 total)
  • Hora's new frame time. My word its nice.
  • I_Ache
    Free Member

Just so I can put up a gratuitous pic here is my Enduro of the same era. I think the 05 and 06 SXs were identical apart from the shock shuttle but the 07s were modified with thicker tubes and more travel.

My Enduro is about 32lbs with Air Lyriks and shock, I don’t mind riding it all day but it is certainly more suited to rough DH blasts than slogs over a moor. I would take it over a moor if I knew the DHs warranted it but I have the BFe for longer rides. Plus I can still nail most of my mates DH when I’m on the BFe 😉

P1000890 by i_ache, on Flickr

I_Ache
    Free Member

How much are you hoping to spend on the shock Hora?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Loved mine. Even managed 36 miles in the Peaks one day on it. I did have to go and lie down for a week afterwards tho. It was SO MUCH fun DH, rather less the other way.

Weakling! I’ve done 40+ in the Lakes and not been completely dead on my pitch, same/similar build exept for an air shock.

wwaswas

you need to sort the drainage on your lawn out I_ache.

Alex

Loved mine. Even managed 36 miles in the Peaks one day on it. I did have to go and lie down for a week afterwards tho. It was SO MUCH fun DH, rather less the other way.
    Weakling! I’ve done 40+ in the Lakes and not been completely dead on my pitch, same/similar build exept for an air shock.

Oi I resemble that remark 😉 I think it was 36lbs. And it had a DHX on it. So pedalling was basically half forward/half up and down. It is the only time I’ve beaten all my mates down potato alley and Hagg Farm tho 🙂 I also managed to ride that cheeky Vertigo trail without monging myself.

It was bloomin heavy tho. No amount of MTFU made we want to repeat that loop 😉

I_Ache
    Free Member

wwaswas thats the pond at the bottom of my garden.

Have a look at this Hora, very cheap as its an older one. Loco would be able to tune it if needs be.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290804706544

hora
    Free Member

Ideally sub 139.

A mention to slowrider of this Parish. He offered me a free 200×57 DHX5 coil but the cost of adjusting it would cost c200+spring cost :O

Still that was a lovely thought. Top bloke.

JCL
    Free Member

Awesome bike, seven years ago…

watsontony
    Free Member

Awesome bike, seven years ago

Awesome bike seven years ago= Awesome bike today

Northwind

Mine was pish. Climbed like my downhill bike, descended like my trail bike, absolutely pointless thing. I guess it might have made some sense a few years ago when trailbikes were mostly not as good as they are now? On the plus side, this one’s a nicer colour than mine.

On this occasion, when Hora sells it in 3 weeks, it’ll be the correct choice 😉

chunkypaul
    Free Member

On the plus side, this one’s a nicer colour than mine.

whattt! the colour could be worse?

Northwind

Poo brown’s a brilliant colour for a bike! Mine was the incredibly dull grey-green.

ahwiles
    Free Member

er, i’ve got an (get’s calculator)…

8.75″ x 2.75″ shock – it’s an old fox vanilla RC, it had very little use, then got serviced/pushed, then used twice, and now it’s sitting at the bottom of a very comfortable drawer.

i’ve even got a couple of springs – a 400 and a 450 iirc…

tempted?

johnners
    Free Member

Head angle looks a bit steep.

Or slack.

Either way, it just looks wrong.

julians
    Free Member

ooh, that reminds me to finish getting my old enduro of similar vintage (2005) back up and running, just need gears for it and then its done.

Loved that bike – feels a bit heavy in comparison to the mojo HD that replaced it though.

PS – I give it 3 months until the chainstay cracks.

hora
    Free Member

Awesome bike 7yrs ago versus £1400+ for a Rocket etc.

Let me think about that. Sorry no. I dont have 1400-2000 for a new frame thats 1lb lighter.

I’d rather spend the money elsewhere. That frame was CHEAP and it certainly isnt worth well over 1k to save 1b is it?

ahwiles email in profile

Rickos
    Free Member

I’ve a 400lbs ti spring that would fit a Fox shock. But if you email me for details and I send a long detailed email back at least have the manners to say thanks, but no thanks if you don’t want it. Mmm’K?

hora
    Free Member

m’kay 🙂

hora
    Free Member

No email?

renton
    Free Member

Heres my old enduro !!!

It weighed in at 36pound in the build you see

It was amazing in its day going downhill, totally confidnece inspiring but as I said an absolute ****t to ride up hill or xc !!

this is the newer enduro I had which is just like hora’s

This come in at 29 pounds in the build you see.

the angles arent to far off hora’s new frame but what makes it better is the way the shock works which gives less bob !!

cookeaa

I didn’t’ get on with the 05 SX I briefly had but I put that down to the god awful 5th elephant shock…

I reckon it’ll be good with a DHX, it needs to be setup as a mini DH bike…

hora
    Free Member

Renton what happened to your grass.

The 7lb difference isnt the frames fault. 1.5lb between frames max?

The 09 Enduro for me is a sit on bike which is more a niggle for me. A good shock with a ti spring should help.
    The older is sit in. Apparently the latest Enduros are more like the earlier version again. True? I read that somewhere

renton
    Free Member

The weight of the 06 enduro killed it off!!! :mrgreen:

Konastoner
    Free Member

Well here’s my effort, I liked the Enduro so much I built up a stumpy!

I know what you mean Hora about the top heavy feel, I cured that by putting the seat as low as it’ll go for the downs. A pain in the ass but works really well especially with a coil shock.

renton
    Free Member

I dont understand all this sit in the bike nonsense to be honest, surely its all down to how you have your bar and saddle height set up, the size of the frame etc??

I_Ache
    Free Member

That Van RC sounds like a good bet especially as it has been pushed. I had a Van R at one point and had tf tune the compression stack to give me a bit of a platform, it climbed quite well and sucked all the bumps up. Problem was I couldn’t get the spring rate quite right and as with all coil shocks it doesn’t have the little 3 point compression switch that I love.

johnners – Member
    Head angle looks a bit steep.

Or slack.

Mine is about 67/68 which is about right for an all rounder if you ask me. Much slacker and the front centre becomes too long. Much steeper and it isn’t as competent DH.

Having said all that and on the back of Horas comparison, I would love a Rocket with an RP23.

hora
    Free Member

The shock shuttle mount says low/66.5 degrees on mine. On the spring rate how does it work- what should I aim for?

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

Why are you swapping? Presumably its costing you something, and you end up with the same travel and an almost identical geometry (same BB height, 0.5 degree slacker HT, longer chainstays/shorter top tube), but a fair bit heavier.

crikey
    Free Member

Why are you swapping?

😆

hora
    Free Member

pleader have you ridden both? The earlier SX is mucho like the later SX. The earlier Enduro like the latest with the Enduro inbetween not the same.

Or an alternative answer 🙂
    ….

Why am I swapping? Because it was there…calling me?

8)

I_Ache
    Free Member

what makes it better is the way the shock works which gives less bob !!

Well that’s a surprise isn’t it. The old one has a DH shock and the newer one has a XC shock of course it will climb better! It also has skinny 32mm forks that are at least 1lb lighter than the 36s A’s well as narrow rims and more modern finishing kit. The two bikes are chalk and cheese! I could build my enduro at just under 30lbs but it would cost a lot and probably make it worse to ride.

Big bikes like these need a bit of weight behind them so they can ride big tough lines on actual mountains. Skinny lightweight equipment has no place on these bikes. Sit down and watch Seasons, Bearclaw has a SX just like Horas and he is properly shreading the trails on it. These are tough AM bikes not skinny trail bikes, they are designed so they can be slogged up a hill and hammered back down. They arnt designed to be whipets up the hills and minced back down them.

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

No, only the 2011 Enduro, but it does sound like a lot of people who have think the old one pedals much worse than the new one. If the weight feels lower on the 05 (presumably because of those big slabs of metal just above the BB), then couldn’t you just fit a really heavy crank/BB/pedal to your 09? Would increase the weight and lower the centre of gravity, just like the SX will?

hora
    Free Member

The difference is Bearclaw does his justice…mine will be mince-core(TM)

I_Ache
    Free Member

As for spring rate have a look on the tf spring rate calculator. You put the details in and it tells you what weight spring you need.

renton
    Free Member

But thats the whole point isnt it….

There are a whole host or current bikes that will do the job of the bike Hora is going to build up that are lighter, faster and easier to pedal!

A bit like the enduro Hora had.

FWIW my old enduro was fitted with quite new (2009) wheels and finishing kit.

hora
    Free Member

i ache ah got it. Ta.

Pleader if you put a coil on your enduro with a softer spring for DH plushness you too would see it pedalling instantly like a large sofa eating alot of your newtons into the pedals?

I_Ache
    Free Member

I really want to go for a ride with you Hora to see if you do mince as much as you and binners say you do.

hora
    Free Member

Oh I do. I purse my lips 😉

Renton thats still 5.5lbs ‘missing’!

renton
    Free Member

it was all in the frame and forks mate!!

I_Ache
    Free Member

I would guess about 3.5lbs difference in just the frame, shock and forks between those two bikes. As Hora says the 07,08,09 are more trail orientated frames, hence the name Enduro SL. The 05,06,10 on are tougher harder hitting bikes.

Yes more modern bikes that do pedal better and have lighter frames are available but again as Hora said you will be paying at least £1000 more and upto £2500 more for just the frame. I for one are more than willing to carry an extra 1 or 2lbs and have enough money for a second bike.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 280 total)

The topic ‘Hora's new frame time. My word its nice.’ is closed to new replies.