Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Hopi ear candle treatment. Does it work?
  • MrGrim

Morning ,

I've had trouble with a build up of earwax over the last few years. I clean the lugs out regularly, but have still in the past had to get them syringed every 1-2 years.

In the last couple of weeks it has become bad again and get a lot of hassle from the local surgery when trying to get a syringing appointment. Have you tried drops? Try them and come back in two weeks etc etc everytime.

I was thinking this time of going to someone to try hopi ear candle treatment as an alternative. I know it won't stop the build up, but might be easier than negotiating the local NHS.

Has anyone had this done? Did it work? Any other alternatives? Suggestions including MTFU welcome 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes they work as my father in law swears by them and he hates all that hippy alternative cr@p

crazy-legs

There's a book called Bad Science by Ben Goldacre (doctor chap who has a column in the Guardian), he spends a chapter or so rubbishing ear candle stuff and various alternative therapies.
    Not so much the actual "what" of it, more the half truths, outrageous claims and false science behind it all, the advertising stuff that these alternative therapists churn out.
    There's another fascinating chapter on the placebo effect which is kind of related to all these homeopathy/alternative therapies.

uplink
    Free Member

I've had trouble with a build up of earwax over the last few years. I clean the lugs out regularly, but have still in the past had to get them syringed every 1-2 years.

Now as I understand it, you shouldn't be doing anything to the inside of your ear as it'll look after itself – pushing things in there only compacts the wax

MrGrim

Now as I understand it, you shouldn't be doing anything to the inside of your ear as it'll look after itself – pushing things in there only compacts the wax

I didn't say anything about pushing anything in there. I clean them in the shower using water every 2-3 days

Junkyard – thanks

crazy legs – I've seen that book, it looked like an interesting read

SpeedyG
    Free Member

Buy an ear clear syringe -sorry no link you'll google it easily enough. You can use it in the shower, bloody marvellous, saves trips to GP. Also use olive oil regularly, couple of drops in each ear at least stops wax getting hard and it will clear itself then most of the time.

darrell
    Free Member

Hopi ear candle treatment. Does it work?

no it does not, it is yet another "alternative" therapy con

Eggbox
    Free Member

hopi will get a bit of wax out of your ears…but if they are 'bunged up' then you need to get them sorted at the doctor's surgery.

MrGrim

Hopi ear candle treatment. Does it work?

no it does not, it is yet another "alternative" therapy con

darrell – Have you had it done? If so, did it clear any wax out?

joemarshall
    Free Member

I dunno if it's true, but I'm sure someone told me that the 'stuff' that comes out of your ear during the hopi candle treatment, that people always say is proof that it works, is 99% stuff coming out of the candle itself or something.

Joe

coffeeking
    Free Member

Dear god, I can't believe people actually pay for this. I mean seriously, if you read the claims and description of how it "works" from the manufacturers, its practically defying physics with its descriptions of sucking impurities and a "protective concentrated vapour vibrating inside".

I'm open minded, but in the words of tim minchin, if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.

Junkyard
    Free Member

My father in law plays in a band and orchestra and thought he was going deaf till he went and he is as big a cynic as the come [as am I for that matter most/almost all of the alternative stuff is bunkum]

Anyway he says they work and he does know about the placebo effect etc but he can hear now but that is also a subjective measure. iirc it was not that expensive either(£10?). He declined the Indian head massage 😯

I am sure there is a lot of BS about it helping your chakras and stuff though

crikey
    Free Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ear_candling

Even the Hopi think it's cobblers…

BoardinBob

Just get a hold of some peroxide, water it down (1 part peroxide, 9 parts water) and squirt it in your ears then give them a clean with a cotton bud

thomthumb
    Free Member

burn a hollow candle and it is full of wax – must be from the ear. It is rubbish.

read the wiki page at least. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ear_candling

gonefishin
    Free Member

Not only does it not work, it can be quite dangerous as there have been cases of people burning there ears quite badly.

Feel free to waste your money on something that can't work though.

clareymorris

Well, I've had it done and it worked by clearing through my sinus………..not sure it is purely for ear wax removal, although it does leave some gunk when you unwrap the end!

darrell
    Free Member

i have some snakeoil here for sale – cure anything

Fop
    Free Member

I've used them before and think they work. There seems to be some un-informed rubbishing going on here. I've burnt these without them being in my ear and then unwrapped them. There is some residue, obviously from the candle. Then when unwrapped after being in the ear you will (on most occasions) find wax….hardly coincidence!

gonefishin
    Free Member

although it does leave some gunk when you unwrap the end

If you take one of the candles and burn it away from any body part then open it up you'll find exactly the same gunk as it's from the burning candle.

bruneep

I have had loads of lug problems, I wouldn't go near those candles. My consultant says that the smallest thing that you should stick in your own ear is your elbow.

If you suffer from wax build up get it removed by a proper trained person, rather than some beauty therapist, would may cause more damage than you think.

B

elliptic
    Free Member

From the wiki article…

"As of 2008, there are at least two cases in which people have set their houses on fire practicing ear candling, one of which resulted in death."

😯

Onzadog
    Free Member

Another quote from Tim Minchin

"they have a name for alternative medicine that has been proven to work.
    They call it medicine"

crikey
    Free Member

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/candling.html

Dear Lord….

THEY DON'T WORK.

THEY DON'T WORK AT ALL.

It's rubbish, total and utter new-age cobblers and IT DOESN'T WORK!

I can't understand why grown ups able to operate a computer can fall for this garbage….

catnash
    Free Member

I work in ENT. Just ask for Cerumol ear drops. Just don't use cotton buds either, we don't think too much of ear syringing. Otherwise the safest way is microsuction. The ear has it's own way of cleaning itself.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I did hear that chewing gum is supposed to help. Seems the motion of the jaw works the wax loose.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Dear Lord….

THEY DON'T WORK.

THEY DON'T WORK AT ALL.

It's rubbish, total and utter new-age cobblers and IT DOESN'T WORK!

I can't understand why grown ups able to operate a computer can fall for this garbage….

Well Hopi ear candles worked for me.

But then I'm rubbish at computers, so you might have a point.

btw, a former gf who worked in St Thomas's ENT dept first put me onto them – I had never heard of them before that.

higgo
    Free Member

I'm glad they worked for you Ernie.
    Can I also recommend the Hopi Butt Candle for those difficult constipated days.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Thanks higgo, but I'm a pretty regular kinda guy – so not really for me.

Shame, cause they look like they could be fun

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Hopi ear candle treatment. Does it work?’ is closed to new replies.