Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Hopefully simple bottom bracket question..
  • GoatKarma
    Free Member

Will this chainset (Rotor 3D-F)

Fit in this Giant Propel frame (it’s pressfit? Soooo BB86 or something I think..):

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/propel.advanced.pro.frameset/19199/77271/

Current frame is BB30 (it says it on the side!), but read somewhere the 3D-F can actually fit in other frames (maybe that’s why it looks like there’s some sort of cups on outside on current frame?).

dovebiker

Probably not – you’re trying to fit a crank with a 30mm spindle into a BB shell that’s 41mm diameter which means that you have only have 5.5mm for the bearings – even if you could find a bearing that size, it probably wouldn’t last that long. The cranks would however fit a frame with a regular 68mm threaded BB shell as there are external bearing cups available – the Giant has an 86mm wide shell which leaves no room for external bearings.

GoatKarma
    Free Member

Brilliant thanks for the reply! Will just have to sell the Rotor and get myself a Dura Ace chainset instead 🙂

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Enduro and Wheelsmfg both do BB86 pressfits to fit a 30mm axle.

The key though is the width of the Rotor 3D-F cranks. As you say, they are currently fitted to a BB30 frame but I don’t think they are BB30 cranks, as they are wider (you can see the conical spacer in the pic, I think).

BB86/92 4130

http://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets/bb86-92/bb86-92-bottom-brackets/bb86-to-30mm-flanged-dual-row-pressfit-86-92-abec-3-bottom-bracket.html

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Rotor do them too, by the looks of it.

GoatKarma
    Free Member

Ended up just ordering a shiny new DA chainset to go with new frame, just ‘in case’ 😀 Will sell the rotor one with the frameset anyway.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Hopefully simple bottom bracket question..’ is closed to new replies.