Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Hope XC wheel bearings – which ones
  • wwaswas

I’ve tried the ’10 for a tenner’ ones off ebay and am, frankly, disappointed.

Whilst I enjoy hitting lumps of metal with a big hammer I’d rather not do it too often so I’d rather get some bearings with a bit more life in them that cost a bit more.

So, do I just go for Hope bearings or should I look for some SKS ones or something?

doof_doof
    Free Member

Ones from Hope are generally SKF or ENO. FAG are also good quality. There are many online places that do the standard Hope XC bearing sizes in these brands.
    The Chinese bearings will last longer if you re-pack them before first installation with decent grease IME.

solamanda
    Free Member

Try a branded bearing. I find on front wheels the quality doesn’t matter so much, they all wear out fast. I always repack the cheap bearings and install them such that the side I prised the seal off doesn’t face the outside world and mud.

The only place I wouldn’t use cheap bearings is frame main pivots.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Buy cheap buy twice. I have rarely replaced bearings in my hope wheels – and when I do I get quality bearings from a local bearing supplier. for the sake of a few quid you can extend the life manyfold

wwaswas

looking round, £16 for 4 from crc isn’t that different to what bearing suppliers are charging for similar stuff by the time you’ve added vat and postage to their prices. I’ll just get the hope ones I think.

dropoff

Many bearings have a “max” or “enduro” equivalent. Basically they forego the use of a cage inside the bearing and pack it full of balls instead. This has the effect of decreasing the contact load of each ball and making the bearing last longer. Will cost more but last longer.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Hope XC wheel bearings – which ones’ is closed to new replies.