Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • hope xc hub sounds like bucket of nails
  • blade72003
    Free Member

Right lost one of the paws when replacing the wheel bearing the paws sound like a bucket of nail and the free hub making a knocking sound any clue’s what it is [video]http://vimeo.com/43603588[/video] check out vid

zbonty

Can’t see the vid but those tiny leaf spring things break easily. Last time I opened my Pro 2 all three springs were snapped. No idea how the pawls still engaged!

Get a set and replace all three.

z1ppy

Check the hub ratchet ring ? Bit in the hub the paws click against, to see if you’ve lost any teeth.
    Did you replace the freehub bearing too?
    My XC (& bulb) hub is silent compared to my Pro II, that very noisy…

Looks like the wheel could do with a true too. 😉

EDIT: zbonty, the Hope XC hub uses “springs” (though they break too), not the leaf spring as per the Pro II onwards

EDIT 2: Oh and if you have a damaged racket ring, Hope did used to replace them (FOC for me!) but they won’t necessarily have any left – given them a ring & ask

Milkie
    Free Member

Sounds screwed!! Looks like its buckled too, so may have screwed the bearings from that?

Rio

Mine’s making the same noise but I haven’t got around to taking it apart to see what it is yet so I can’t really help you! For what it’s worth I’ve changed the axle, bearings and pawl springs (one of them was broken) on mine since I first noticed the noise so at this stage I’m guessing none of them in isolation is the cause.

blade72003
    Free Member
    Rio

Just done some diagnostics, and my problem is the same as the one in blade72003’s link – where the pawl spring broke it looks as though the freehub body has been forced against the ratchet ring and created ridges just big enough to catch on the ring. These make the bag-of-nails noise. Looks like a bit of filing and/or a new freehub body are in order.

If you’ve been running it without one of the pawls I’d suggest you get a new set before too much damage is done.

blade72003
    Free Member

Just got the file out as there was some burrs around the paws and noise has gone is there any way to stop this happening again ??

blade72003
    Free Member

after filing down metal on the freehub body the noise went but dose not sounds smooth so guess it’s time for some parts

globalti
    Free Member

It’s PAWLS not paws! Do you think this is a vet forum?

Do not ride it with one pawl missing, you will be putting massively unbalanced forces through two very tiny components and you will cause expensive damage to the hub or the axle or freehub body.

You can get a new set of pawls and springs from Hope. If you ask politely they will probably send them for free but don’t tell them I said that.

Clean everything up with paraffin including the rack, re-grease then refit. If the narrow seal that sits in the hub next to the rack looks worn, ask Hope to send you one of those as well because that’s what keeps all the mud and water out of the hub. Just lever the old one out carefully and press the new one in evenly, with a piece of wood for example.

blade72003
    Free Member

I put in a new set of PAWLS but the freehub body still pick’s up what next part should I replace ?? the bearing are running smooth

mattsccm
    Free Member

Someone has to say it. They sound like that from new!

blade72003
    Free Member

its not the sound that bother me its the freehub pick up that dose

blade72003
    Free Member

ratchet ring or freehub body ?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Ok there are a few things it could be.
    You’ve replaced the pawls and the freehub bearings.
    The next things to check are the actual freehub body where the pawls are housed. The solid bits between the pawls should be smooth, but often they can get chewed up when the bearings develop play and the can get gouged by the ratchet ring inside the hub body (the bit the pawls engage in). Often they will be marked along the length of the freehub body, perpendicular to the rotation direction. A fine file can be used to smooth these out.
    The other thing to check is the ratchet ring itself, all teeth should be the same height etc, but when they wear or play develops they can become mis shapen, catching on the freehub body.
    On mine one of the teeth had “peeled back” and was prouder than the rest, catching the freehub body as it turned. You might get away with filing it down a bit, but really its new ratchet ring time.

This is bad news, because Hope told me in July whislt they can replace them, but they no longer have any ratchet rings in stock and wont be making any more. I got lucky, as BETD had one left that they fitted to mine. But I have no idea where you can source one now.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Actually listening to that again, sonds like a spring or pawl may have been displaced.

blade72003
    Free Member

may have been displaced.

not sure what you mean ?

bigyinn
    Free Member

When you push the freehub back into the hub shell, you can sometimes dislodge one of the pawls / springs so they dont engage properly or just flap about.
    Have you taken the freehub off to check all the pawls are located correctly. A bit of grease where the pawls pivot within the freehub often helps them stay in place whilst you put them back in.
    When reinstalling the freehub body, you should hold all 3 pawls inwards until the are past the hub seal, also a good idea to rotate the freehub anticlockwise when you do this.

blade72003
    Free Member

sent my wheel off to hope for littel refresh as ring had few teeth missing report back onec get wheel back

bigyinn
    Free Member

Any update on this? I was told by Hope they had no more rathcet rings left and wouldn’t be making any more. Will be pissed off if they do have more!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘hope xc hub sounds like bucket of nails’ is closed to new replies.