Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Hope XC hub – freehub stuck
  • garage-dweller

Freehub on my 2003 ish Hope XC hub is refusing to part company with the main hub body for a service.

The wheel owes me nothing but it’s for my 26r and I’m trying not to burn any more cash on it than necessary as it’s now very much a second/bad weather bike so want to have a pop at resolving the problem.

The freehub has been crunching / slipping a few degrees each time I go from freewheeling to pedalling if that helps diagnose why it’s being stubborn so I’m guessing some major or minor pawl issues when it comes apart.

I have had the freehub apart a few times without issue so this seems to be a problem rather than doing the right thing.

wwaswas

You could try knocking the axle out, it’ll tend to bring the freehub with it and then you can knock the axle out of the freehub in a vice.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

As above. Save the XC hubs much better than Pro 2’s just a bit heavier !
    Just grease the shaft before assembly as they seized onto the bearing inner races, especially the end bearing near the cassette lockring

garage-dweller

Thanks both. I will give that a go. Worried the freehub or pawls may be shafted but I’m prepared to give it a go. 😀

wwaswas

As above, the bearings will be stuck to the axle so banging the axle out with the freehub on it will allow you to use a bit of percussion to knock the axle out of the freehub.

germolene
    Free Member

tip of the day is to place a clean towel/rag under the hub to catch anything that might fly out from pawls from inside the hub. Mine too was stuck fast, Im just looking at it waiting to see if the bike fairy will fix it?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Hope XC hub – freehub stuck’ is closed to new replies.