Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Hope x2 – Hope mini compatibility
  • ndthornton
    Free Member

Does anyone know whether its possible to fit X2 levers to old style Hope mini calipers?
    Someone is selling some levers on this website – I dislike the mini levers but am happy with the calipers. I cant think think of any obvious problems given the ajustability of the X2 levers – but I could be wrong??

nbt

Probably one to ask of Hope, but it all depends on the amount of pressure generated by the lever throw – just like Cantis and v-brakes require different levers.

Having said that, I know you can fit mini levers to x2 calipers so the reverse might be ok too.

and thirdly, I find original mini levers better than tech levers

ndthornton
    Free Member

The problem I have with my mini leavers is that when I adjust the bite point to where I like it the levers are so far from the bars I can bearly reach them (I have quite stubby fingers) – I have come a cropper on downhills because of this. Does anyone else suffer from this?

Apparantly the X2 levers allow you to adjust both bite and reach (am I right with this) which will hopefully solve this problem.

Oh and I also get a lot of sideways play from the mini levers.

If mini levers can be fitted to X2 then it does sound like the piston ratios should be the same……

nixie

You could try over filling the reservoir on the minis (get pistons in the correct place, then fill up reservoir). This from memory changes the bite point to further from bars.

I suspect though once you look into the cost of buying the levers only that it’ll be a better option to sell your current brakes (minus rotors and mounts) and buy a set of x2 evo’s minus rotors and mounts (this is how crc sell them). I think the x2 calliper is the same the mini on, either that of the x2 has slightly more power.

And yes you are correct the Tech levers allow both bite and reach adjustment.

nbt

Apparantly the X2 levers allow you to adjust both bite and reach (am I right with this) which will hopefully solve this problem.

Yes, but they have other disadvantages e.g. the fitting is different so you;ll end up changing your bar layout and probaly removing shifter windows etc

Oh and I also get a lot of sideways play from the mini levers.

That’s just wear and tear, you could try mew lever blades

ndthornton
    Free Member

I fully agree with the buying and selling aproach and would normally go for this option.
    However on this occasion……

1, Someone is selling a pair of levers for £18 posted
    2, I just bought a house and am totally skint.
    3, I just put new pads in
    4, I rather like my gold bore caps which go with the rest of my bike (gay I know) and for some reason I can only find X2’s in black?
    5, I bet noone else has this brake combo (even more gay)

nixie

Gold caps, ah, ok old old minis then not the silver minis.

£18 is a bargain assuming that is for the entire lever and master system assembly (They are £60 new I think). If it is just the lever blades then don’t bother as they will not fit.

nixie

If its jonny rocky mountain’s thread I’d bet that its just the lever blades.

ndthornton
    Free Member

bugger – thats no use!

coatesy
    Free Member

You could just try servicing your calipers, sticky pistons/seals will lead to long lever travel as rather than self-adjusting, the pistons get pulled back into the caliper when the lever’s released(play in the lever pivots won’t help matters either). I tend to service mine around the 6 month mark, as I hate a long lever travel too.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Hope x2 – Hope mini compatibility’ is closed to new replies.