Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Hope Vision 4 LED
  • Who uses one/has seen one in real use and what are your opinions?

Please don't just post back EnduroMaxx/Ayup/DX/your favourite light without some decent back-up – ta!

grotto
    Free Member

love mine . i also run a hope 2 on my helmet with a epic battery . you'll not need the full power on the hope 4 so run time is brill .

stumpyjon

I got one for Mountain Mayhem. Only used it a couple of times because the nights were drawing out. I really like it, worked fine in the woods and on my local trails. Nicely made bit of kit and good support from Hope should things go wrong. Good bars clamp as well. So far no regrets.

z1ppy

Lovely kit, like the Hope HID's, nice mounting very neat lighting systems.

Couple of P7's (1 on bars and 1 on helmet) out class them light output wise, buy a couple of spare batteries and you match the Hope runtime.

Horse for courses, if you want a good light that well put together, & have the money spare, go for a Hope. If you want cheap/value for money P7 everytime (or a troutie/smudge offering).

Decent backup? I ride with ppl who have any number of HID/Main Manufacturer LED's/P7's, can't prove it to you though…

simondbarnes

Really like mine. Well made, reliable, good burn times. Used it for commuting all last winter plus nightriding and CLIC24.

Hadge
    Free Member

Now they've got rid of the early problems they are superb lights. My set had to go back (very early ones) but they are fine now. Can't wait for a spot of night riding soon 😀

Good stuff.

I'm thinking of selling my Light & Motion Solo Logic to a mate to part fund the Hope (which has actually been ordered). I also have a Fenix L2D that I used to use on my Giro Xen to compliment the L&M, however the Locbloc won't mount anywhere on my new Fox Flux. Should I keep the L&M (which will mount ok on the helmet), keep the Fenix (and find a new way of mounting), or will the Hope be ok on it's own, with the Fenix stashed in my Camelback for a back-up?

IdleJon

I used the Hope 4 as my only light for the Torchbearer solo at 24/12. It lasted for about 4hr 30 mins on the middle settings, slightly less than I've had before for some reaon.

I'd experimented with different helmet lights as well but the Hope just drowns everything else so I decided that there was no point. I just carried a small emergency led in case of mechanicals.

Can't fault the Hope so far.

martyntr
    Free Member

Love mine… use it for commuting atm, but when I get a bit more time for night riding will be out on the trails with it again. I wer it helmet mount for offroad and handlebar mount for road.

Had 2 good night laps with it on @ SITS…. love drowning out riders in front's light with it, so they get pissed off and let you past cause they can;t see where they're going 😉

With clever use of the lights settings you can get 2 night rides (2 x 2hr ish) out of it.. or for me I've done 2 weeks worth of commuting (finishing at 8pm) without needing to charge it 🙂

Plus, even though they look quite hefty, you don't notice them when helmet mounted…

JustRide
    Free Member

A couple of lads I ride with have them and it is like having the sun come up behind you. They are really bright IMO.
    Don't know about run times though.

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

Used mine from last September through the autumn and winter. No problems and great performance. Recomended.

jonk

Mines just had a new circuit board after 10 months use but hope we very good in fixing it etc.

It is very bright and i usually use it on the number 3 burn time is just over 3 hours.

Ewan
    Free Member

I've seen one, pretty bright, saw it comapred directly to a DX P7 Bike Light. It had a slightly longer throw but was a bit less floody, the DX was a tiny bit less bright (in intensity – beacuse it's more floody?). Either way, it's plenty bright enough. If you're riding Singletrack get a head torch too.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I like mine 🙂

peachos
    Free Member

OTT

OTT

Eh?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

OTT = probably too bright in most circumstances. I rarely use mine on full power, there's just no need…

grantway
    Free Member

Friend has one bloody excellent but think it has lost its top spot now
    Have to troll through mags to find review.

But to be honest it is very good and well made and English

peachos
    Free Member

TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR – Member
    OTT
    Eh

you just do't need that sort of light IMO. i have the 2LED's and only whack them on full for really fast technical descents and they give off plenty of light for that! 900 lumens, again IMO, takes away part of the thrill of night riding as every tiny root/rock within 4 metres or so is illuminated.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

STR can actually ride tho – he rides Peak trails that are usually done in the day, and at "day" speed, so more light is better than "a challenge"

peachos
    Free Member

and you suppose i can't ride because??? i ride peaks trails day & night summer & winter and consider myself a fairly competent rider and can hoon it with all the best of them…even with my crappy 300 Lumens light :D.

i just think that people have got a bit wrapped up in having the best light on the market when actually these are way overpowered. of course the 4LEDs are well designed and give off an excellent spread of light but night riding is a lot about honing skills that you can take through to daytime riding; spotting obstacles a couple of metres in front, making a decision on how to tackle them before quickly focusing on the next one. of course you're still doing this with the brighter lights but the extra power makes the range of vision much greater and therefore decreases the amount skill needed to conquer descents at speed.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

but night riding is a lot about honing skills that you can take through to daytime riding

for you maybe, for others (inc. myself and str) it is the only time that can be ridden so must be as fun, safe, and enjoyable – not honing skills

nodrog2
    Free Member

Great bit of kit the led4. Keep an eye out for the new improved one coming out. IIRC it doesn't have any more power but it does have more efficient led's and a better battery.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

The assumption seems to be that everone has the same level of vision. I struggle with contrast in the dark and dont find the highest setting too much.

IdleJon

but night riding is a lot about honing skills that you can take through to daytime riding;

I'd agree with ROFL – while I enjoy just pottering around in the dark, the main reason that I bought the 4s was for 24hour racing. If I wasn't racing (very occasionally) I would have bought the Vision 2 probably.

Daffy

i have the 2LED's and only whack them on full for really fast technical descents and they give off plenty of light for that! 900 lumens

Since when do Hope twins produce 900 Lumens?! Hope say 480 Lumens.

Ewan
    Free Member

Personally more light lets you go faster and still stay a little bit safe.

I'm sure a lot of people ride in the dark as it's the only time they can get out in the week, not because they have a macho fetish for proving they can ride with only the assistance of a mosquito lighting it's farts.

simondbarnes

Daffy – Member

Since when do Hope twins produce 900 Lumens?! Hope say 480 Lumens.

He didn't say that the 2LED has 900 lumens.

and you suppose i can't ride because??? i ride peaks trails day & night summer & winter and consider myself a fairly competent rider and can hoon it with all the best of them…even with my crappy 300 Lumens light :D.

i just think that people have got a bit wrapped up in having the best light on the market when actually these are way overpowered. of course the 4LEDs are well designed and give off an excellent spread of light but night riding is a lot about honing skills that you can take through to daytime riding; spotting obstacles a couple of metres in front, making a decision on how to tackle them before quickly focusing on the next one. of course you're still doing this with the brighter lights but the extra power makes the range of vision much greater and therefore decreases the amount skill needed to conquer descents at speed.

My current light is an L&M Solo Logic @ 390 Lumens coupled with a Fenix L2D @ 180 Lumens on my lid. There's nothing I feel I can't ride with that combo, but it limits where I want to be on a night ride. It is especially annoying when brighter lights are behind you, but it's not a candlepower battle – my mates use Lumicycle halogens 10w/20w combo's and I just want a similar level of light. You sound like someone trying to justify not having a full suss bike with your last sentence too, but let's not get into the skill compensation argument, as it's been done to death.

devs
    Free Member

I've got one. It's a great light. Maybe better suited to bar use but I use mine as a helmet light with a modded tripleshot on the bars as that doesn't have a helmet mount. Never use it on the highest setting and have never run out of battery power either. I would probably have gone for a Bastid if they were around when I bought it but I have never regretted buying it that's for sure. It just works brilliantly (see what I did there) and lighting faffs are a thing of the past.

nodrog2 – Member
    Great bit of kit the led4. Keep an eye out for the new improved one coming out. IIRC it doesn't have any more power but it does have more efficient led's and a better battery.

Bugger – when's the new one due, Google is not my friend on this one. I'm hours away from sending back the credit application to purchase the current one.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Mine has been lovely 😀

martyntr
    Free Member

Having used mine for over a year now, I can honestly say that I very rarely use setting 3 & 4 as they're too much. Setting 1 for fireroads and setting 2 for tree lined singletrack. Setting 3 gets an outing in thick conifer trees like the final descent @ Climach-x… but rarely anywhere else.

There is very little difference between setting 3 & 4 that I can notice, but I'm no lighting expert.

MrAgreeable

As everyone else has said, good light, nice wide beam, top notch build quality. Only bit I don't like is the way is the stretchy strap which is ard to tension and tends to let the battery pack bounce around a bit. Can anyone recommend a source for a non-stretch strap that will go round the battery plus the top tube of a Stiffee?

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

I already have one and I like it a lot. Was going to be another for the missus but if there's a new one coming out, I'll wait. Does anyone know when this will be?

ChrisF
    Free Member

peachos – Member

You must be a superfab brilliant rider eh? In contrast I am a dithering bimbler and really like my 4LED for riding round Peak trails at night. A headtorch is useful if you want to go round corners though.

enfht
    Free Member

Can't fault mine, it's the nuts. I don't regret spending the £250.

BrokenCollarBones
    Free Member

Just bought one yesterday and put on my bike last night. Build quality is pretty good. Definately brighter than the Hope Vision HID i have just replaced. Cant wait to put it to use. 😀

Swiftacular
    Free Member

I rode an Enduro Maxx for 2 years with no issues, and it is a lovely self-contained bit of kit, but then 3 of my riding buds black-catted me and bought Hope 4's and i hate them…they're just so damn bright 😉

I've now had to order a Trout Special to get back to the top of the pile, so from my experience, the Vision 4's are great, good light (more of a spread than the Exposures, thats the noticable thing, i wouldnt say the actual depth of vision is any better) and you wont be disappointed.

the_lecht_rocks

mines impeccable – used all last winter offroad.
    it is super powerful though – seems to melt the tree bark 😈

just bought a LED2 for commuting as the 4 is crazy on the commute.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Hope Vision 4 LED’ is closed to new replies.