• This topic has 13 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by mboy.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Hope Vision 1 or Dinotte 200L – any good for proper offroad riding?
  • BillOddie

Looking for a neat cheap solution for casual night riding not racing.
    just usual singletrack riding etc.

The idea of using freely and relatively cheap AA NiMH batteries is attractive as I can add runtime very cheaply and easily for some looooooong night rides if i want.

So anyone used the above lights?

parkedtiger
    Free Member

I use a Vision 1 on my bars plus one of these on my helmet:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14909

I found the Hope on it’s own wasn’t enough.

mboy
    Free Member

I don’t know about the Dinotte, but I know the Hope is just one Cree XR-E R2 LED. I use a Cree XR-E R2 torch on my head as a supplement to an Airbike SL2 light on my bars, and it’s great for adding more light to the situation for where I’m looking, but on it’s own? No ta, DEFINITELY not enough light by some stretch.

If you want cheap, DealExtreme P7 torches really can’t be beaten for VFM. If you’re prepared to spend the kind of money on the Hope or the Dinotte, and want a neat solution, look at the Airbike SL2 as it’s essentially a P7 in a custom housing, with a battery pack that lasts a minimum of 3 hours on full beam and weighs only 350g all in.

For the £100 a Hope Vision 1 would cost you (with some Nimh batteries and a charger), you can get shedloads more light by buying elsewhere. A couple of P7 torches, 4 18650 Li-ion batteries and a charger, would come in at under £70 still, and give you a claimed 1800 Lumens in total!

shinsplints

Apologies for slight hijack
    wheres the best place to source this “A couple of P7 torches, 4 18650 Li-ion batteries and a charger, would come in at under £70 still, and give you a claimed 1800 Lumens in total! “
    cheers,Simon

BillOddie

shinsplints hi-jack away bro!
    I would be interested to know exactly what i would need to order from dealextreme (i assume thats what we are talking about here) in order to have a decent light with decent runtime with no-bodging. I don’t have the time nor the energy for bodging.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

I rode for quite a while with a dinotte 200l and a 20w flood on my head. Worked quite well and at a push you can manage with the dinotte for off road use by itself.

I then changed to a P7 (£38 all in for chrger and 2 batteries as well)and complement the P7 with the Dinotte on my head. Works very well.

If i was starting again it would have to be 2 x P7’s. A pal has that setup and even with my 2 lights on full power i am riding in shadows when he is behind.

simon1975

There’s a supermarket beginning with T that sells just what you’re looking for. £8 plus money for some jubilee clips to fix it to the bar. Beats the slightly more expensive “Joystick” for my money anyway. With one on your head as well you’ll be laughing all the way to the pub with the money you saved 🙂

z1ppy

for BillOddie:

5 Mode P7 LED Torch http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12060
    or the original 2 mode version: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12325
    I think the 5 mode is more versatile but other disagree (hence both links)

Charger http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6105
    Batteries http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5790
    on and one of these http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2709 to convert the charger.

mutley

3 dinotte 200Ls, two on the bars and one on the helmet. works for me

dmjb4
    Free Member

I use the Hope Vision 1 on the bars and a Ultrafire 606 (essentially a fenix / tesco £8 torch) on the head. The Hope has a very narrow beam and not much use on its own through twisty stuff. I found my old Vista dual 10w/15w halogens on the bars far better than the Hope. With the hope on the bars you need a helmet light.

The Vista’s had a heavy battery and I’m glad I moved to LEDs and AA batteries, but they did have a great flood to them and a more useful colour of light.

From everything I have read on here, the p7 torches have an impressive flood, so may well be the answer, but remember that 1h battery life issue.

I’d also point out that the Hope Vision 1 does not go dim to warn you the batteries are running out, it just cuts out. So you need something on the bars for safety if its been on for a while…

mboy
    Free Member

shinsplints – Member

Apologies for slight hijack
    wheres the best place to source this “A couple of P7 torches, 4 18650 Li-ion batteries and a charger, would come in at under £70 still, and give you a claimed 1800 Lumens in total! “
    cheers,Simon

Exactly What z1ppy said.

I went for a 2 mode version with the “tactical crown” (it looks cooler), but that was me being different!

Personally I prefer an R2 on the head though as it’s more “spotty”. P7 light on the bars and an R2 on the head is a great combo. This is the R2 light I bought and it’s great, 3 times the run time of a P7 so definitely no need to change a battery out on a ride, but of course it’s “only” the same as a Hope Vision 1, but that makes it a great Helmet light IMO.

epicyclo

dmjb4 –
    I’d also point out that the Hope Vision 1 does not go dim to warn you the batteries are running out, it just cuts out. So you need something on the bars for safety if its been on for a while…

I have experienced this on a fast downhill bend. I had done runtime tests with batteries to check battery life for myself, but forgot to take account of the fact I was riding in much colder conditions than the inside of my house 🙁

The Hope is ok for a bar light, but be sure you know exactly how long your batteries will last (ie test them!).

BTW Tesco HiTech batteries last longer than Duracell.

You go from lotsa light to instant de-light!

2tyred

Another slight hijack, but has anyone else found the switch at the bottom of the tesco torch to give up the ghost after not long at all? I use either one or two mounted on the bars (depending on bike) for commuting and I’m onto my fourth this winter.

Not a disaster because they’re very cheap, just annoying. Having to remove the batteries to switch off. Using NiMh rechargeables and charging them in a wee charger daily. The switch just seems to jam. Anyone else seen this?

Are these P7 efforts a bit better then?

mboy
    Free Member

Are these P7 efforts a bit better then?

LOL

A bit better? 😉

I’ve got a Tesco 2 AA torch, a Cree R2 from DealExtreme, and a P7 from Dealextreme.

The Tesco torch is way better than any old crappy conventional bulb torch, and as such is excellent as a cheap convenient torch for night time walks, keeping in the car or whatever, but upon comparison with the others it is like night and day!

The Tesco Torch is about as powerful as my R2 on its lowest setting, which suggests the Tesco is something like 60-80 Lumens.

The R2 Torch is 250 Lumens quoted, and I don’t doubt it’s far off that.

The P7 is quoted at 900 Lumens, and that may be optimistic, but I’d say there’s 10 times as much light as the Tesco torch EASILY!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Hope Vision 1 or Dinotte 200L – any good for proper offroad riding?’ is closed to new replies.