Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Hope Vision 1 enough for night riding?
  • Helios
    Free Member

Is a single Hope Vision 1 on its own enough light for a bit of night riding on singletrack? Nothing too scary – I'm thinking Cannock/Thetford type trails rather than thrashing down something in the Lakes…

Ta

robbo1234biking

To be honest I dont think it would be enough unless you were just pootling along. I use one for commuting and have some off road but I take it pretty easy as the lightisnt enough togo flying along

AndyP
    Free Member

it's a pile of sh1te. OK for a 'torch' rather than a bike light but why would you want a torch that size when you can get a Tescos LED special that's lighter, smaller, brighter and ten times cheaper?!

RichPenny
    Free Member

Tescos LED special that's lighter, smaller, brighter and ten times cheaper?!

Because the Tesco torch is actually only one of those things?

I've used mine plenty for night riding, you won't die but you might have to ride a bit slower than in the daytime. Anything techy will be harder, but more fun.

trail_rat
    Free Member

hope vision 1 – ****

to put it bluntly !

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

I rode pretty well with mine.
    Same lumens as the exposure joystick isn't it and people ride around with those?

whyter

Bit bulky for a helmet mount (but I'm gonna try it this week anyway), but fine on the bars. Get yourself some decent AA batteries from Directfoto or somewhere.

Only thing is there's no warning before the batteries run out, so you need a backup light really.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Not enough on it's own but I'm happy having mine on the bars to complement a P7 on the head and to get me home when the P7 inevitably dies…

meadowedge
    Free Member

Helios if you're looking at buying a Hope 1 go for the adventure version. its a seperate battery pack and you get a head harness for running if your that way inclined!
    By the way looking forward to seeing a tesco light that pushes out 240 lumens for a tenner! NOT going to happen!!!

Speshpaul

For everyone who says no there will be some who says yes, however the V1 isn't a techy off road light. and at the price you can do better.
    See what on-one are doing there light for at the moment. then theres the DX options, for the money the P7's look good.
    If you advertised on there you could probably pick up a set of lumi halogens for similar money second hand, and they would be better.

DT78
    Free Member

I use mine as a commuter/backup light. It's not good enough for singletrack imo, fireroads etc… you'd be fine

Helios
    Free Member

You're all marvelous people… Thanks for advice

I didn't feel justified spending loads and loads on a light for how infrequently I'd use it… so £75ish sounded acceptable…

But… If people reckon it's no good for proper off-road – what do you think is the starting price i need to be looking at?

Ta again

DT78
    Free Member

Do a search on the forum for DX lights. I ordered one on the advice of the collective and it blows away the hope1 and it was half the price. Downsides it took 6 weeks to arrive from hk and I have no idea on reliability / warranty (one use so far, seems fine)

RichPenny
    Free Member

TBH, despite what I said above, if you're not sure about night riding and wanted something cheap then the tesco torch wouldn't be a bad idea. If you like it, you can always spend more and move the tesco one to your head.

You really don't NEED massive lights for night riding, because what they do is give you the same visibility as the day. That's fine if that's what you want. Personally I find it more exciting to ride with the hope than my hid, so I often do that.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Had one – sold it. Same output as a joystick in a package 4 or 5 times the size. Too big and heavy for a head torch, too dim for a bar light and FAR too expensive for a commuter light. The Adventure version would be OK for a headtorch though.

Check out some of the Dealextreme P7 torches for loads of light on a budget. 700+ Lumens for about £40 all in. Perfect for occasional use.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Hope Vision 1 enough for night riding?’ is closed to new replies.