• This topic has 13 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by toby.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Hope V-Twin – should support plate be loose on steerer?
  • toby

I’ve just received a second hand Hope V-Twin setup for my birthday. I tried to fit it this afternoon, and apart from the hose which is too short but easily replaced, I’m concerned that the support bracket is quite loose on my steerer tube.

It’s going on a 2013 Boardman CX Team with a tapered (carbon) steerer tube (the dark grey and yellow year).

There’s enough slack on the bracket that you can see a gap next to the spacers if you push it to one side.

I can’t see any mention of them being available in different diameters for different steerers, but I don’t think new standards have replaced the 1 1/8″ top part of steerers recently, have they?

The Hope documentation mentions that the system is supplied with a couple of spacers (which mine hasn’t come with). Are these stepped to locate the support bracket?

Am I missing something obvious? I doubt my brakes are going to fall off on the first descent, but the bracket sliding about will bug me if it’s not central…

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

The bracket is probably thinner than the headset spacer you removed to fit it? It shouldn’t move (freely) either your headset is loose or steerer is a bit longer than ideal. Drop a spacer on top of your stem and tighten the bolt up.

wiggles
    Free Member

I think it comes with spacers because you remove say a 5mm spacer then use a 4mm spacer with the 1mm support plate?

Not used one myself so not 100? on that but that was my understanding.

EDIT; don’t understand that if it is the wrong diameter

toby

Thanks for the idea, but it’s loose side-to-side, not up-and-down.

The hole in the bracket is a larger diameter than the (top of) the steerer tube, I’m not sure if it’s meant to be? It doesn’t look to be filed or anything…

notmyrealname
    Free Member

When I had a set fitted to my old CX bike the bracket wasn’t tight, you could move it from side to side but not easily. It wasn’t loose though.
    The easiest way to explain is that it wasn’t flapping about and stayed in the same position, usually until I crashed when it may hove a bit but was easily moved back by hand!

zilog6128

As above, mine doesn’t shift of its own accord but you can rotate it if you use a fair bit of force. Didn’t fit it (shop did) but I’m sure the supplied spacers were totally standard (and optional).

toby

OK, I think a photo here may well help:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/KmJH57]IMG_9208[/url] by TOBY, on Flickr

You can see here that the plate is very loose on the steerer, not just loose enough to rotate, but flopping about. Steerer is 1 1/8″ – about 29mm, hole in the plate is around 32mm.

With the spacers fitted, there’s enough play if you push the plate to one side that you can see the gap between the outside of the spacers and the inside of the support plate:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/KF34XD]IMG_9207[/url] by TOBY, on Flickr

I don’t think it’s dangerous, but it doesn’t look “right” to me…

STATO
    Free Member

Might be designed for a giant with its 1-1/4″ upper steerer?

otsdr
    Free Member

Hope only list one part # for it, this was probably modified by the previous owner – the width of the circular bit should be the same as the “A” part:

toby

This thread suggests you’re both right!

So if I order a new one from Hope, the hive mind thinks it will be a proper fit?

cokie

Worth giving Hope a call. Great guys & gals to talk to.
    Might even dispatch it FOC.

toby

I know LBS is due to make a Hope order today, so I’ve asked them to get a support plate in, explaining that I’d like on with a 1 1/8 hole. Thanks everyone!

Doh1Nut

If you are still stuck, I would try to find an O-ring that fitted in the space. This should centralise the plate and still give a little compliance.
    :mrgreen:

toby

Good plan. That would have saved a fiver :-|.

Thinking about it, the insulation off a bit of twin+earth mains cable would have probably done the job very nicely…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Hope V-Twin – should support plate be loose on steerer?’ is closed to new replies.