Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Hope Tour – are guidebook stats right?
  • alanwales
    Free Member

Hi folks
    I rode the Hope Tour – page 121 of Dark Peak Trails guidebook on Sunday.
    The guidebook gives it as 1,310 m of climbing but my Garmin 800 gave it as 900m.
    I’m sure I didn’t miss any out, and the map outline looks the same.
    Any ideas – unlikely misprint – or Garmin knackered.
    Thanks
    Alan

singletracksurfer

I find height measurements change often vary and they might well have used mapping software to calculate the stats.

Open your (gpx) file elsewhere and you’ll probably get different stats again.

alanwales
    Free Member

Thanks for the reply.
    It seems like a big discrepancy – but will try re-opening file.
    Cheers

teamslug
    Free Member

When I put things on garmin connect the climbing measurement is different from gps unit unless you change settings ( can’t remember exact terms- I’m on my phone)

alanwales
    Free Member

It’s the same discrepancy on the unit as well, showing about 900m.
    You can do an elevation correction on Connect – but this doesn’t change it much.
    Thanks

fathomer

As great as the book is, the climbing figures are often way out! I’d imagine 900 to 1000m would be about right looking at the route.

amedias
    Free Member

Elevation stats can vary wildly per device too, my garmin consistently under reads by about 150 feet for every 1000, only noticed when I forgot it on one ride and used my phone instead and saw difference (it was a ride I’ve done before). I Initially put it down to my phone over-reading but then looked at the stats from other people who were with me on the ride and theirs all tallied with my phone, including some that were using the same model of garmin as mine.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Hope Tour – are guidebook stats right?’ is closed to new replies.