Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Hope Tech3 or Race Evo levers
  • davosaurusrex

Let’s have another what brake thread! I know it’s been discussed before but any recent feedback? I’m leaning towards the race as the simplicity appeals, I just want consistent braking, is the bite point adjuster on the techs actually useful for compensating for pad wear?

I have had a set of M4s with the older tech levers before, I liked everything about them except the outright power which is why I swapped to shimano. Can anyone compare the power to the e4s with either newer lever? And are the e4s noisy in the wet as the MBR review claims? Pad compound make much difference?

What I’m really hoping for is chiefgrooveguru to appear so I can persuade him to let me pop round his house and twiddle his levers, so to speak, as I believe he has both. An offer you can’t refuse Alex…..

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I have Race levers as they had more power than the Tech 2’s that went before.

And they were black!

I don’t miss all the fiddly adjustments that the Tech’s have.

I really need to try a set of Tech3’s. If they are better than Race they must be very, very good indeed.

adsh
    Free Member

I have tech x2s on my training bike – the knobs help adjust for pad wear and they are a nice brake.

The Race are quite a bit lighter and very good. You can adjust with a tool. Unless you are regularly going to ride with very worn pads I’d reccomend the Race.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Daffy

I’ve got Tech 3 E4 and X2s on 3 bikes, they can squeal in the wet, but they’re nothing compared to the Banshee Shimano’s I had beforehand. They’re not as directly powerful as fully working XTR trails, but have a much better feel.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Bite point adjustment is one dial, the other is each. On the race, you can only adjust reach and you need a hex key to do it.

They’re both open systems to pad wear is taken care of by the design of the system.

If you want a dual that does pad wear, ask hope if they have any old C2 systems about.

Onzadog
    Free Member

It certainly used to be the case that the race lever was more powerful than the tech as it pushed less fluid which is why it was never mated to a v2 caliper. I don’t know if this is the case with the tech 3 or not … but you can’t get the race lever with a v4 caliper.

davosaurusrex

Ah that makes sense, cheers Onzadog. I’m after the E4s so no worries there. Just ordered the Races from Winstanleys for £250

leftyboy
    Free Member

I’ve also got Tech 3 E4s on my FS nd X2s on my HT with both being very good. I do get a bit of squealing in the wet but usually onlyf or the first 3 or 4 pulls on the brakes. I don’t sue the adjustment much but as I’m not racing the extra weight doesn’t worry me.

Overall excellent brakes, more modulation that Shimano – maybe less powerful like for like but most importantly for me they are very consistent even after 1 or 2 years hard use.

davosaurusrex

That’s what I want, consistency. Not Shimano’s strong point IME

mactheknife

Not to turn this into a shimano bashing thread but i have just ordered a set of tech 3 E4,s to replace my very very inconsistant zee brakes. Pain in the hoop. Hope the hopes are as good as everyone says.

chiefgrooveguru

Sorry, late arrival! Been a bit preoccupied with my wife having a breakdown and having to look after the baby and toddler on my own… And of course the trail conditions are currently perfect! Bastard world.

The Tech 3 lever is at least as powerful as the Race Evo lever and you can tweak it to perfection with the bite point adjust. The Race Evo lever has more travel after the bite point and consequentially a bit more feel. I prefer the Tech 3 whenever I get on that bike but once I’ve been riding for a few minutes I seem to forget there’s a difference.

davosaurusrex

Let me know if there’s anything I can do to help Alex, I’m not a million miles away from you and will be working Brighton way most of next week

davosaurusrex

Went for the Race Evo E4s, threw them on, first shortish ride last night. Really liking them so far, power is building, just the right amount of lever throw before biting for me. Loads of feel too, pulled the best rolling stoppie I’ve pulled for some time at the bottom of a descent without even thinking about it

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Hope Tech3 or Race Evo levers’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts