Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Hope Tech X2 vs M4
  • agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Thinking about making this switch for a summer Europe trip. Is M4 really a big step up, having extra pistons and all?

in the past I’ve found the X2 calipers OK mostly, but I’ve needws to go to 2 fingered braking at the end of the day and suffered with some arm pump (….other causes I know).

I’ve stuck a 203mm rotor up front already which should help.

And where do the V2 calipers fit into the product line, I’m a bit confused. I want to stick with Hope as I have the tech levers and floating rotors already, so would just be swapping calipers to save money.

cheers

jambalaya
    Free Member

I was just in my LBS shop and from what I was told the answer would be 100% yes with regard to 4 pistons given your trip

djflexure

I have x2, m4 and v2 on in different combinations on various bikes.
    x2 are a bit underpowered for my liking – but I’m 14st. Nice brakes with good modulation and possibly ideal for somebody lighter.
    M4 are where you should start IMO – big difference between these and X2. Perhaps you would just need one on the front? I ended up running a combination of m4 and x2 on my xc bike and its perfect.
    V2 – not had mine that long. They are more substantial than M4 but simpler with 2 pistons. Good power, good modulation. Hard to say at this point that they are better than the M4. M4 front and back went fine in France last summer. Now have V2 front and M4 back on my FS.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Thanks. About 11st with kit, so thinking about a M4 on the front. Looks like V2 are a bit overkill for most of my riding.

chiefgrooveguru

Haven’t tried any other Hope brakes but the Race Evo M4 are fantastic – plenty of power and incredible control – so easy to take right to the point of maximum deceleration before skidding starts. If everyone had brakes this good then braking bumps would barely exist!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Hope Tech X2 vs M4’ is closed to new replies.