Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Hope Tech X2, Formula The One, or XTR brakes?
  • Digger90
    Free Member

To go on a Turner Flux.

dano
    Free Member

xt for me… plenty of power, light and lots of rotor size choice…

geetee1972
    Free Member

I've used them all and live with Formula The Ones. The XTRs didn't have enough stopping power for me, but then I am heavy and am more DH orientated.
    The Hope X2s were the best Hope brakes I'd tried in a long time and I would happily have them on my bike. They aren't as powerful as the Formulas but they have a lovely feel to the lever, feel very solid and are very easy to get spares for.
    The Ones are simply amazing; a paradigm shift in stopping power when I first used them. In the alps, specifically in Chamonix, where the descents are 15 miniutes long and steep, they never once faded. Their power is increadible to the extent that a 180mm rotor is more than enough for any situation. They are pretty robust – I've had a set for over two years and never needed to bleed them – but they are quite heavy on pads, the pads aren't cheap and you can have nightmares in getting spares for them although it's not impossible. The pad contact adjust is pretty ineffective and as the pads wear down, you do need to adjust the lever in order to get the pads to bite again before the lever hits the bar if you've got the lever and bite point set really close.

bikerbruce
    Free Member

i have xtr…rideing fast don't break much.
    there very reliable and no issues ever.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I have forula's and they could stop a planet!

psychle
    Free Member

The Ones here as well… 200mm front rotor gives stopping power like you wouldn't believe, maybe too much in fact!

ianpinder
    Free Member

on the other hand, i hated the formulas, i would have the hope tech x4s rather then the x2

Digger90
    Free Member

What are the Formulas like to bleed?

And are spares as difficult to find as people say?

warton
    Free Member

I'm not impressed with the Hopes, they replaced a pair of Juicy 7s and they aren't that powerful. I'm going to play with them this month to see if I can get them working better.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

What are the Formulas like to bleed?

And are spares as difficult to find as people say?

Notoriously bad. The lever is a haven for trapped air, and they require bleeding perfection to remove as much 'sponge' from the lever feel as possible.

Personally, I ran some Formula The Ones's for 18 months & had a general all round crap time with them. I will stick up for them and say freshly bled, with fresh pads in, they were great. However, lever throw is massively affected by pad wear, they pump up no end, they eat pads like a fat kid loves cake, etc etc.

I a had an entire replacement set from Propel to combat the 'issues' I had, but they were exactly the same, so I sold them. Been running some Hope Tech M4's since & they have been like night & day in comparison. The lever throw is consistent to pad wear, the adjusters actually adjust, and the power, although not as strong as a freshly padded/bled Formula, is much more consistent overall.

warton – Member
    I'm not impressed with the Hopes, they replaced a pair of Juicy 7s and they aren't that powerful. I'm going to play with them this month to see if I can get them working better.

Something not right there pal.

Grabbing a handful of my Hope M4's in comparison to my old Juicy 5's is like comparing chucking an anchor off the back of a go-kart to dragging a piece of string behind a juggernaut. Well, not quite, but you get my drift.

bruneep

I have a set of Formula The Ones 203 for sale if interested.

MrNutt
    Free Member

if you do a search of the forum I did a step by step guide to bleeding formulas, its dead easy!

vikingboy
    Free Member

I use R1's on my Motolite and moved my Ones to the more DH orientated Spicy I'm building. Both brakes are stunning IMHO and the best Ive used on any bike. You cant go wrong IMHO. Bleeding R1s is easier than the 09 Ones due to the better placed bleed valves. The Ones need the lever removing from the bar to do properly.

heihei

geetee is spot-on with the formulas – wicked brakes but they eat pads, esp in the winter. I have a couple of sets on my full-suss bikes but have just swapped a set on my hardtail to X2's (first ride tomorrow) to see how they cope with the winter grunge.

Digger90
    Free Member

Bruneep – details and pics to simonpearson AT yahoo DOT com please.

bruneep

Simon YGM

toons
    Free Member

I've also got a set of formula the ones for sale.

Wookster

M$ are just amazing just binning my set of elixir R's….coming on a web page near you soon!! Once they come back from Avid!!

bonesetter
    Free Member

MrNutt – Member

if you do a search of the forum I did a step by step guide to bleeding formulas, its dead easy!

Hey Mr Nutt, searched but couldn't find your bleeding review. Could you post a linky, cheers

darkshadow
    Free Member

Go for the new hope race brakes, not x2, x2 are just 2 heavy, xtr and formula are just pain to service and get spares where hope just last you forever

hicksville
    Free Member

magura marta sl…….really really good and light

ianpinder
    Free Member

I don't see why the op is compairing the ones with hope x2s? one is a lightweight xc brake and one is a heavier am-dh brake?

If you do go for the formulas, get ready to have a decent supply of pads. if i was still running my formula the ones I would be bankrupt by now as I was going through a set about every 20 hours riding.

OrangeChammy
    Free Member

XT's with the latest servo wave lever are the best brakes I have ever used – not very bling, just functional and reliable. Even 160 rotor is very powerful, better than an avid with 185mm.

Digger90
    Free Member

I'm comparing Formula The One's with XTR and X2's because they seem very light compared to most brakes. They're rated for AM/DH use but they are as light as many XC brakesets. At least, if you believe the stated weight.

MrNutt
    Free Member

mmm i tried searching for it too but it seems to have vanished, Mark? Chipps? has it gone to the great archive the other side of the hills?

ianpinder
    Free Member

i would, and do on 2 bikes, run an x4 front and x2 rear.

bonesetter
    Free Member

My attempt failed at bleeding my Formula's – first brake I've tried bleeding.

I didn't realise you had to pull on the syringe (a few times) and create a vacuum to 'pull' the trapped air bubbles out of the lever (and the calliper).

Thing I'm still not sure on is when to close the lever, if this is indeed needed on Formulas, as I have also read the lever needs to removed to bleed the lever properly…???

bonj
    Free Member

hope. Easiest to bleed, look the best, made in england, best customer service.

rep341
    Free Member

The Ones!!!
    Been running them for 2/3 years now and no issues!
    I want them on all my bikes but $$$$$$$$$

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Hope Tech X2, Formula The One, or XTR brakes?’ is closed to new replies.