Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Hope Tech V2 'new' Vs 'Old' caliper advice
  • Chainline
    Free Member

I’m looking to get some V2’s, I have Hopes on everything so it makes sense.

I want something a bit stronger than my M4s on my FS rig and it turns out V2s with braided hose are the same weight as M4’s.

Anyone know if the older bigger caliper, pre 2009? is any different to the current smaller? caliper in terms of power.

I am only looking at the tech model as I want to use floating rotors.

Would the best compromise be older calipers, new tech lever, custom ano job 🙂

Any help appreciated. i didn’t think their was any difference in caliper other than the bleed nipple location and improved hose routing?

If anyone has some let me know, p/x for some Mini’s if you want to go xc!

iain1775
    Free Member

I thought Caliper was the same only the lever was updated to the tech
    You can certinaly run floating rotors on the older Moto V2
    I would be suprised if V2’s with braided where same weight as M4’s – does that include rotors, the V2 rotors are heavy

That said my green V2’s are nice brakes (and not for sale 😉 )

Chainline
    Free Member

I f you use a floating rotor of the same size, pretty much the same weight!

If they are the same thats good!

iain1775
    Free Member

…but the M4’s take a normal floating rotor, the Moto/V2 has its own specific floating rotor – the braking surface is significantly deeper, hence increased weight

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Ping Hope an email via their website. They are very good at responding to questions like that

Three_Fish
    Free Member

The calipers are functionally the same. The newer version has less material (is smaller) and uses a different nipple and bore cap; but pistons and piston spacing is the same.

The Tech and Moto versions use the same rotor – standard, floating or vented – and also the same pads.

I have a front V2 comprising 2009 caliper with 2010 Tech lever, with braided hose and a 203mm vented rotor on gunmoke carrier. It’s yours (or anyone else’s) for £140 shipped. I’ve also a rear Tech M4, also braided, on 183mm gunsmoke floater – £100. Both in great condition and very well maintained.

khani
    Free Member

I went from moto v2’s to tech v2’s and the power feels the same, but the tech’s are lighter and the adjusters work better, the calipers look a bit smaller and more machined out than the moto’s as well,
    No scales though so I have no idea of the actual weight difference.

kamina
    Free Member

I have not weighed the old ones, but the new V2’s where Front 310g, rear 344g. According to Hope they are lighter then the M4’s if you have braided hoses on both, with standard hoses the M4’s should be a touch lighter.

The V2 rotors do weigh more, about 200g for the 203mm rotor and somewhere above 220g for the fixed one (which I have).

Note that quite a lot of hubs are incompatible with those floating rotors, hence I got the fixed ones.

Great brakes, best I had. Enough modulation to be killer trail brakes and enough power to handle any downhill conditions. Probably the most versatile brake on the market (though I have not tried close to all of them).

If you ask Hope for weights they will send you an excel with all their products on it. From what I measured everything was within a few grams of their claims so I would trust it to be pretty spot on. Only suspect thing was how much weight they claimed the braided hoses add, but again I did not measure them on their own.

Chainline
    Free Member

Thanks guys, I have King Hubs so I’ll ask the question of Hope on rotor compatability.

Winstanleys have very good deals on the Tech V2 @£157!

I think my 203 RT76 weighs 200g so thats ok. They weigh about the same as Saints but obviously alot more than the likes of Formula The Ones and Avid Codes. I have Hopes on all my bikes al;ready though, like how they bleed, like the spares backup and interchangeability so I’ll stick with them.

I’ll have a hunt around for a s/h pair…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Hope Tech V2 'new' Vs 'Old' caliper advice’ is closed to new replies.