Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • hope tech m4 front, tech x2 rear, can i go far wrong?
  • neillys75
    Free Member

Just about to buy a tech m4 front and x2 rear , after much consideration.

Can i go far wrong with this mix? Mainly ride xc/trail centers and am looking for the set up to grow into.
    Moving from deore discs .

Any options from users?

ruscle
    Free Member

I just use X2 front and back, so what you propose sounds spot on, can’t go wrong with Hope and a good move getting away from Shimano.

convert

Hope brakes get lovers and haterz. I like my m4s but would probably have got the x2 if I had my time again as m4 are a little overkill for me. The only snag I can see with an x2/m4 mix would be an urge to carry two different types of spare pads rather than just the one if they matched.

stanley

Got both set-ups as matched pairs on two bikes;

Great 🙂
    Lots of feel, power, etc.

Only issue with these brakes is the master cylinder/lever pivot positioning.
    They need to be a long way inboard of your grips to get the lever blades in the right position. This should be fine if you have bars with a good length ‘straight section’ at the ends.

Why not just get Tech4 front and back? Only one type of spare pad needed then.

neillys75
    Free Member

Thank for the current advice, im not a heavy weight but what are peoples views on the x2 are they nice and powerful with nice feel or am i better to go m4?

stanley how do they compare? Are they 2 very different bikes?

Paceman
    Free Member

X2’s with 160 rotors are more than enough for me, and there’s always the option of switching to a 180 rotor up front if I wanted to do more gravity riding. Great feeling brakes and made in the UK too.

elliott-20
    Free Member

Currently on my Chameleon I run an M4 front (183mm) for stopping, X2 back (160mm) for scrubbing. Works a treat. 😀

P20

I’m very happy with the tech m4s on the yeti. (180/160) I would go for m4 front and rear just for the pad convenience

takisawa2

I found the X2 rear was better than the M4 when I had this combo, & if I won the lottery I’d happily buy X2 front & rear again. Also, the levers are a bit OTT to be honest, but amazing to look at & drool over.

stanley

Slightly!
    A 5-spot and a Flux- so not THAT different really!

203+160 and 180+160

The Tech4 feels a bit better imo. Not a huge amount in it though. If weight isn’t a big issue- I’d go for the Tech4.

grum
    Free Member

I used to have that exact combo, they were good IMO, not spectacularly powerful but good feel/modulation and easy to bleed/service etc. I only got rid because I broke one by being thick and fancied a change.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I would personally match the brakes so you need to carry fewer spares. (I always have spare pads, seals and fluid in for any brake I use just in case). But I always use a bigger disc up front.

I’m a big fan of the Hopes. I love the idea of some Tech brakes on my bike but the old E4s just wont die so I can’t justify it!

hughjayteens
    Free Member

M4 X2 combo on my ML8 and love it. X2 X2 on my hardtail and do often feel like I want a bit more bite on the steep stuff.

angryratio
    Free Member

180/160 tech x2s.

No frills, black hoses, and standard non pimp solid rotors.
    They just work.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘hope tech m4 front, tech x2 rear, can i go far wrong?’ is closed to new replies.