Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Hope Tech Evo x2 brakes?
  • chives
    Free Member

Has any one got any experience with these? It’d be nice to buy British for a change..

ratherbeintobago

I’ve got the non-Evo Tech X2’s – they’re good, but noticeably less powerful than the Avids they replaced (Evos meant to be 15% more powerful so shgould be better in this regard). However, they are much, much more reliable and I’ve not had nearly so much brake squeal.

Andy

djflexure

Have run x2 on my xc bike for a couple of years. Never got into trouble but swapped the front for m4 recently to give a bit more confidence on longer descents. Happy with the change so far.

wrecker
    Free Member

Formulas are very powerful and light but v expensive to repair (if serviceable at all).
    Hopes a little heavy but lovely feel and unsurpassed service.
    Avoids utterly terrible in every way IME. Honestly would not take them if given free.
    Not tried shimano but meant to be good if a little disposable.
    My next brakes will be hope (currently using formula the ones)

vancoughcough
    Free Member

Become very popular to knock Avids yet the Juicy was probably the best brake of its time. It’s testament to that formula design, that the Juicy is still with us, what.. 8 years since it first appeared?

I am still a fan of Hayes, from the Stroker Trail onwards they offer lots of power and a lovely firmness with the right bleed.. having said that, with time I became fond of the slighlty less firm feel of the Avids, though I am def interested in the new Avids with the repositioned bleed port that supposedly does away with the slight inconsistency in bleeding and feel of previous Avids…

I too would like a Hope brake to add to my collection of British bits.. but I’m waiting for the M4 to evolve into something with a little more power.. when it is Saint like, I will be interested.

Rorschach
    Free Member

The entry level (1-3) elixrs are woeful.

yet the Juicy was probably the best brake of its time

Only if its time was 20 years ago…..I get a migraine thinking just thinkin about all the juicy’s I’ve had to fix over the years 👿

paulo6624
    Free Member

Moved to m4 from elixir cx and will be moving back again ASAP really dislike the hopes horrid feel and way under powered vs the elixir just my opinion I love hope stuff in general but these brakes just are not for me plus points look nice easy to bleed, and big adjustability on lever sweep etc

theguyfromthealps
    Free Member

Yes, I’ve got X2 Evos on my all mountain. Was disappointed at first, they felt too spongy and the braking wasnt very effective at the beginning, I much preferred the Avid Elixirs RLS I had on my old bike… but after a while the Hopes just started working very well when I was in the alps…. completely random, don’t ask me why. Could be the dry weather they seemed to like! Good brakesall in all…

duir
    Free Member

The Hope Tech stuff I have had has been very reliable but I found the X2s underpowered for my 6″ bike when really gunning it so maybe good for a lighter, less aggressive rider. Tech M4s and V2s on my bikes now have been faultless and the pads last ages.

wrecker
    Free Member

I was out riding today with a buddy who has juicys on his bike.
    He was telling me how much he hates them…………

flow
    Free Member

I’ve got some Evo X2’s, they look sooo damn nice.

I originally ordered M4’s on my Five but changed the order after demoing one with X2 Evos. They are definitely powerful enough.

DaveRambo

I bought some 6 months ago and love them.

Got the braided hoses and floating discs.

They look very nice and work very well – the feel is great and they are powerful enough for me. That’s not to say they aren’t powerful as I can only compare to SLX and they are so much better than them.

If I needed another set of brakes these would be top of my list.

chives
    Free Member

Cheers for the input folks, I was thinking of 2012 XT from rose (uber cheap etc) but for the extra 30 quid an end the future serviceability of the Hopes may well be worth it eh?

DaveRambo – how do they sit with shifters? I’m using XT (no indicators).

Cheers.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

I had the non-Evo Tech X2’s for a year. Properly bled (which is very easy) they provide plenty of power and fantastic feel. If you are big, or do serious AM type riding you will want M4’s. The Evo’s with more power may solve this. I run the matchmaker clamps which position the shifters perfects and keep the bars nice and free of clutter

DaveRambo

I have 2010 XT shifters with indicators and it’s a bit of a pain. I have found a set up that just about works but I want to remove the indicators as it will be much easier to find good positions for brakes/shifters

One thing I really like is that they have 2 bolts to attach to the bars – this means you can take them off easily and change positions (in or outbound of shifters) without taking grips/shifters etc off as well.

Without indicators it will be fine.

Did I mention they look lovely 🙂 + Get braided hoses

Stevo210
    Free Member

Is there a new set of brakes out called Evo after Tech? Am I misunderstanding that?

LoCo
    Free Member

Yes new brakes the Tech EVO V2, M4 e.t.c Very good according to the Loco Racing team riders that have got hold of sets

Will be ordering a set of the Race EVO X2s for the Anthem race bike soon 😀

Speshpaul

Yes theres a upgrade out to the Tech’s.
    But not had a lot of press or reviews yet.

flow
    Free Member

Is there a new set of brakes out called Evo after Tech? Am I misunderstanding that?

They are now Tech EVO X2, M4, V2 etc instead of just Tech.

LoCo
    Free Member

Yep they are very new, the team rider is sponsored by Hope (green as he keeps telling me 😉 ) so has had them early

Stevo210
    Free Member

Damn it, why do they do that when Ive only had mine a couple of months…..

shortcut

Running standar Tech X2’s on 3 bikes and couldn’t be happier. Easy to set up, powerful enough. Very reliable. Even the Hope made pads last well in the summery south!

oldschool43
    Free Member

Don’t know if you’ve purchased these yet, but I’ve run the tech X2’s for close to 2 years. What they changed should make more people happy. They modulate well, the adjustments work and have plenty of power. I have noticed that the brakes need to bed in. More so than other brakes. Bought new rotors to match new EVO hubs, the first ride was scary, brakes didn’t want to work. New rotors need to bed, duh. I’m rather fat, around 250lbs, or 18 stone and with a 183/160 I’ve never had any issue. Takes about 5-10 rides till they find their groove. I can’t image these with alittle more power. Oh and I Had to rotate the banjo fitting for my bike and had to bleed them. So easy. Haven’t bled them since. And since I’m from the states, I’m the only cat rockin em!!! Hope you got them, you souldn’t be disapointed.

smoothchicken

Got regular Tech X2 on my hardtail and M4s on the FS and both brakes are superb. Been running the X2s for nearly 3yrs and have bled them once which was a doddle, pads change easy. IME I find Hope stuff so much easier to maintain (if/when you ever need to) than other manufacturers,

X2 have similar power to XTs which they replaced and M4 noticeably more power and modulation. They fit fine with XT/SLX shifters with/without indicators and Hope do make clamp similar to SRAM matchmakers for direct mounting shifters to your levers. But British, you know it makes sense (with Hope anyway!)

Zoolander
    Free Member

Got some evo x2s on my new five and after bedding in they feel just as powerful as the non evo m4s that I had previously. Nice brakes – well impressed.

Zoolander
    Free Member

+1 for the hope matchmaker clamps as well. Big difference.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Hope Tech Evo x2 brakes?’ is closed to new replies.