Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Hope tech 3 e4 brakes. Any real world opinions ?
  • fd3chris
    Free Member

As above please as I need new brakes and I do like the feel of my older evo x2’s.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

They’re Hopes, they work, they’re well made and finished and we never need to rebleed every few months like all of our Shimanos and they modulate beautifully.

tmb467
    Free Member

wot he said ??????

ade9933
    Free Member

My problem with Hope is that every thing is made to order.

This means that about a year after buying some x2s spares were no longer available and the only option was to replace the set – which I did with XTs.. on all bikes.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I was under the impression that hope kept spares around for about 5 years?

jambalaya
    Free Member

@ade really never heard that. Have Hope tech’s on two bikes and love them, good braking is very important to my style of riding mincing

julians
    Free Member

I recently bought a set of tech3 e4 to replace some four year old shimano xt 785 brakes.

The hopes are a very particular to being installed perfectly,and they take an age to bed in. Once installed perfectly and bedded in properly the power is on par with my old shimanos, but the modulation is a lot better with the hopes

I guess it depends how much value you place on modulation,but i would say that imo theyre not worth the money.

They are decent brakes,just quite pricey.

I reckon sram guides are better value.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

I love them, and they are even better than the older version of the E4’s which I moved to my fatbike. I find Shimanos pretty grabby compared to the modulation of Hopes, plus you can get perfect lever positioning with the reach and bite point adjust. Build quality is great and I really like the long lever which allows you to mount the shift levers outboard of the brakes

Much more expensive than Shimanos but worth it IMO as they go on forever. I don’t understand the comment about parts as Hope are renowned for supplying bits for ancient models

fd3chris
    Free Member

Ordered now thanks guys.

teethgrinder

Who told you that about the Hope spares not being available? The shop who couldn’t be arsed to order them and preferred to sell you new brakes?

pahoehoe
    Free Member

^this.
    Ive only just retired some xc4’s which I bought new in 2000. Hope had parts for at least 10 years and still did the send back for a service and bleed during that time which I did twice. Other than that occasional bleed and 1 caliper seal kit and a new lever post crash(just the lever blade which was available separately) in 16 years. Similar experience with original minis which despite the mediocre reviews I loved.

Got rid of them as Mrs P new bike came with deores – which did 400 miles before squeeling, then loosing power, then contaminating pads and rotors, then back to madison. Thinking of generously giving her my Xt’s so I can justify the $$$$$ for some e4’s.

ade9933
    Free Member

Very weird. I did contact them to check and was told that replacements were the only option (I think – could have been a retailer. 80% sure)

I saw something online too saying that this was why there were wait times, everything is made to order and they don’t keep any stock.

tjagain

I have always managed to get spares for my brakes and they are at least ten years old

DiscJockey
    Free Member

Nice one fd3chris – you’ll be very pleased.

I recently purchased a Tech3/X2 brakeset/rotors, which unsurprisingly is brilliant. At about the same time, a friend got the exact same setup in the E4 option, which I’ve tried for comparison. They feel similar, but I’d say the E4s have about 20% more bite as you increase level pull.

As the E4 pad is quite long, make sure you get the caliper really parallel with the rotor when you install it. Don’t use the pad/rotor gap as a guide for setting this – use the markers on the caliper to set them straight.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’m about one year into my E4’s and they’ve been brilliant. No problems whatsoever. And on the spares thing – a mate of mine has just rebuilt his old X2’s that must be getting on for 10 years old or something. Had no problems whatsoever getting spares direct from Hope, he even had to replace one of the calipers.

They look nice, work faultlessly with great support. They’re all good.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Hope tech 3 e4 brakes. Any real world opinions ?’ is closed to new replies.