Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Hope Tapered Headset – please save my sanity
  • readikus

Hi.

I’m having a major confusion/panic attack – I have had a fork service, so reassembled my bike and I am missing a piece of the headset (which is alarming, as I’m off to race the Grand Raid on Tuesday). It is the cover bit that goes over the headset, and basically the visible bit between the frame and the stem – if that makes sense? No? This photo may help:

I have been looking at the diagrams and photos for the tapered headsets, and I can’t see this bit is listed (or at least illustrated to look vaguely like the one shown in my photo). Is this just an error with the diagrams???

neilwheel
    Free Member

AKA Top cap, sorry, I don’t think they are available separately but I could be wrong. The easiest option may be to get a new top set from the Mix N Match and you’ll have some spare parts and bearing.

readikus

The top cap goes in the top of the steerer, doesn’t it?

robhughes
    Free Member

Will this become another crown race thread..Hope so.. 😉

neilwheel
    Free Member

Sorry Readikus, Top cover and Pick n Mix.

Having a little early celebration here.

Scapegoat

It’s referred to on the Hope Tech docs as the top cap…. It’s the cover/seal that sits on top of the top race, or it may be the outer seal

see exploded diagram:
    http://www.hopetech.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/HOPEHEADSETS2011Web.pdf

readikus

How odd. I got the

So is this how it should look?

The chaps at Hope are basically saying that the cover in the first photo is not a standard Hope part.

burt
    Free Member

ive just fitted the headset in the second picture and thats exactly how it should look.its a hope number 2 from the pick and mix. the top pic looks like a different part has been fitted.

readikus

Thanks for the help.

But…how weird! Someone must have got enthusiastic along the way and fitted something extra.

Time for an ale, me thinks…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Hope Tapered Headset – please save my sanity’ is closed to new replies.