Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Hope S/S hub issues
  • saladdodger
    Free Member

just been out for my first ride and when freewheeling the wheel drags big time,

I have checked the bearings and all is okay, pulled off the cassette all runs smooth even when I refit the cassette body, but it goes tight/ stiff when I put the axel cap on

any ideas

pweeze

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

It could be missing the spacer that sits inbetween the inner freehub bearing and the hub bearing

69er
    Free Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    That is the most likely reason.

saladdodger
    Free Member

The spacer is there and I have just replaced the cassette body bearings and it is still the same and when coasting you can feel the wheel trying to drive the pedals

Is it dragging because of the 4 pawls and I am not used to it??

Or am I being daft but I have never had this before

doof_doof
    Free Member

Some hope hubs needs a bit of time for the seals to free up a little.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

mine does have some drag, but not noticeable when riding. I just rebuilt mine after discovering some play in it and after sticking it all back together it still drags but not as bad and that is mostly due to fresh grease.

Aidan
    Free Member

If the spacer is definitely there, then make sure that the seal between the freehub body and hub is properly seated. If it isn't, it causes loads of drag. You should be able to press it in by hand and it will snap into place.

saladdodger
    Free Member

The spacer is definatly there but I did not realise the seal had to be pressed in

I will try it tomorrow thanks for that

saladdodger
    Free Member

Aidan

Sorted

I owe you a beer thank you it was the seal and it did locate with a snap when I pushed it in

Aidan
    Free Member

Ha – I'll turn up in your local one day 🙂

Glad it's sorted.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Hope S/S hub issues’ is closed to new replies.